No love for Drums?

• Thread starter Thread starter picasso_13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

picasso_13

As a percussionist I am not feeling the love for my instrument on this forum. 😃 So, I thought I’d post some info on my favorite instrument.

As well as ask what people mean when they don’t like drums in worship. We use timpani in our traditional Mass, the Spanish groups uses all kinds of hand drums, and our contemporary Mass uses a drum set.
Do Drums Feature In The Bible?
Have you ever been asked, “Where are drums mentioned in the Bible?” Here is a brief and revealing study with a few helpful Scripture references.
In most common translations of the Bible you will find the percussion instruments tambourine, timbrel or tabret mentioned, these words are translated from the Hebrew word ‘Toph’. Tambourines and timbrels are mentioned on many occasions throughout the Old Testament and, other than cymbals, seem to be the only percussion instruments referred to. "Praise Him with the timbrel and dance… " Psalm 150:3-6.
In the preface to the New International Version (Hodder & Stoughton), the Committee on Bible Translation say the following:
“It should be noted that minerals, flora and fauna, architectural details, articles of clothing and jewellery, musical instruments and other articles cannot always be identified with precision.”
So what can we find out about this word ‘Toph’? ‘The New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments’, says that “tambourine” in Scripture comes from the Hebrew word “Tof” or “Toph” (Hebrew; pl.tuppin), the other English translations being “timbrel” or occasionally “tabret”. It says that these are indeed frame drums, without jingles, and adds that, because frame drums were commonly used in the surrounding areas that it is likely the ancient Israelites used them as well. The Oxford ‘Companion of Musical Instruments’ says of “historical tambourines”, that they are ancient frame drums, as far as can be seen, without jingles.
The word ‘Toph’, like many names for percussion instruments, and rhythmic exercises is onomatopoeic. In other words it suggests the sound of the instrument or the action of playing it. Other typical onomatopoeic names for drums are tom tom, conga, tambour, rek, doumbek and indeed the word drum itself (drrrrrum) implies a bounce followed with a stop on the drum skin.
The modern tambourine is a “jingle” percussion instrument, commonly without a skin, and often half circle or crescent shaped, (although the round, skinned types are used in Latin ensembles and for other more grass roots styled groups). It would appear that the tambourine we find in the Bible was not a tambourine (as we know it) at all.
‘Percussion Instruments and their History’ by the late James Blades, also refers to instruments of Mesopotamia and Egypt circa 1100 BC. These include frame drums, small kettledrums (baz) and vase shaped drums made of clay. Blades comments, “In biblical references the words tinkling and metal are used in connection with bells and cymbals, but not with tabret or timbrel, (commonly translated as tambourine).”
This gives us an idea of what kind of drums were used in biblical times, it also shows us that when we see the word ‘tambourine’ in Scripture we can read it as ‘frame drum’. Frame drums are still popular today and found in most cultures around the world. They vary in size and each culture has developed its own playing style - one of the more unusual being the Irish bodhran played with a short double ended stick known as a ‘tipper’. These drums are highly versatile and can provide a dynamic and powerful sound. Compared to the seemingly male dominated drumset of today, which interestingly has a history of less than 100 years - size and portability of the frame drum maybe one reason more women played them in Bible times.

Couldn’t fit it all in…here’s the rest… 😉
Drumming Mentioned In The Bible
Here are a number of times the ‘Toph’ appears in the Bible:
“Begin the music, strike the tambourine (drum)…” Psalm 81:2.
“Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine (drum) and harp.” Psalm 149:3.
“Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron’s sister took a tambourine (drum) in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tambourines and dancing.” Exodus 15:20
“In front are the singers, after them the musicians; with them are the maidens playing tambourines (drums).” Psalm 68:25
“Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise Him with the harp and lyre, praise Him with the tambourine (drum) and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute, praise Him with the clash of cymbals, praise Him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.” Psalm 150:3-6.
“Begin the music, strike the tambourine (drum)…” Psalm 81:2.
“Every stroke the LORD lays on them with his punishing rod will be to the music of the tambourines (drums) and harps, as he fights the battle with the blow of his arm.” Isaiah 30:32
“Let them praise His name with dancing and make music to Him with tambourine (drum) and harp.” Psalm 149:3.
“When the men were returning home after David had killed the Philistine, the women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with tambourines (drums) and lutes.” 1 Samuel 18:6
“After that you will go to Gibeah of God, where there is a Philistine outpost. As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, tambourines (drums), flutes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying.” 1Samuel 10:5,6
There is a strong theme in the Old Testament of the use of percussion, and it seems that women were more often playing these instruments. Aaron’s sister Miriam is recorded as leading the rhythmic band in Exodus 15:20.
Although this is only scratching the surface, we can clearly see drums appearing throughout the Old Testament and can conclude that, Miriam and others were in fact drumming in the act of worshipping God.

I love the drums. When played well, they kind of fit everything together - they are the icing on the cake. I wanted to jump in and say this because there will probably be a bunch of grumpy posts. Of course, for those who think we should have only organ at mass, I don’t know how you can argue with timpani - nothing is more majestic sounding or glorious. Seems fitting to me. Our bilingual choir has a drummer. I think most of the Hispanic choirs at our church have some percussion. I like it with the right music. 👍

Thanks…at least I’ll know there’s some love out there!! 👍 :blessyou:

We have sang one of my favorite songs “We are One Body” at two different Masses in the last few weeks. With drums, it was an awesome song; without just good.

I love drums & other percussion instruments - just not during Mass! I really prefer the organ (when played well) or no instruments at all.

When I hear percussion instruments, I tend to think about dancing - not about God.

40.png
Bonnie:
I love drums & other percussion instruments - just not during Mass! I really prefer the organ (when played well) or no instruments at all.

When I hear percussion instruments, I tend to think about dancing - not about God.
This thread brings up an old bit of history…wish I could remember all the details. Since drums are an essential part of current music (invariant?), it would seem that drums, electric guitars, and screaming adolescents would be just the ticket for a modern mass! When Mozart wrote his Ave Verum Corpus, one of the most arresting pieces of sacred music was born. But, as I recall, its performace at mass was banned, at least for a time, because its beauty distracted the faithful from proper worship. Same reason for the development of Gregorian chant: to counter the repetitive, loud, and distracting complexities of Venetian music (or was it Ambrosian?). The question/problem, it would seem, is not new!

Whenever I go home, I bust out a conga drum if the music is appropriate. I especially do it for the procession on Palm Sunday and bi-lingual stuff. Course, I’d shoot myself if I were to play the drums for ancient hymn…

Justin

I’m all for any instrument during Mass if done well, and at the proper time.

I think during the more reflective times of Mass (during Communion, mediation) they should be minimal or nonexistent. But there are other, celebratory, times in the Mass where I think they are more than appropriate. I don’t think Mr. Keating agrees with me. Hey, he can’t be right all the time! 😉

Seriously… I have led a youth group that does a lot of Praise and Worship music. Without drums, it’s just not a style of music that works real well. And don’t even start on me with how we shouldn’t mix up the music in Mass…

Drums and the like are specifically forbidden by the Church, especially in Vatican II.

Gaude Maria Virgo, cunctas heresis sola intermisti,

Matthew

And don’t forget the Little Drummer Boy! 😃 (okay, it’s not scriptural, but it is traditional.)

Personally, I think that if done with reverence and care percussion could be acceptable during mass. Perhaps people find it distracting because it wouls be unusual at first, but they might find the rythm conducive to meditation given the chance.

I’m just sayin’…

40.png
EENS:
Drums and the like are specifically forbidden by the Church, especially in Vatican II.

Gaude Maria Virgo, cunctas heresis sola intermisti,

Matthew
  1. In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church’s ceremonies and powerfully lifts up man’s mind to God and to higher things.
But other instruments also may be admitted for use in divine worship, with the knowledge and consent of the competent territorial authority, as laid down in Art. 22, 52, 37, and 40. This may be done, however, only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful.
-Sacrosantum Concilium Chapter 6

I also advise reading the rest of chapter 6 from the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy. (Sacrosantum Concilium)
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_en.html

Do you still think the church, especially Vatican II, forbids drums?
God Bless,

Justin

Yes She does:

“63. In permitting and using musical instruments, the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account. However, those instruments which are, by common opinion and use, suitable for secular music only, are to be altogether prohibited from every liturgical celebration and from popular devotions.”

Not only are drums, guitar, etc. forbidden at Mass but also at popular devotions (Benediction, etc.). When Vatican II was written, then instruments WERE used only for secular music, certainly by common opinion. The rules don’t change when a “majority” suddenly change on this. Wherefore, Vatican II clearly meant that instruments at THAT TIME were seen as merely secular. It does not even hint at the fact that this opinion would extend to the present time. God bless.

Matthew

N.B. The majority of people EVEN TODAY would say that drums, guitar, etc. are merely secular. (It is clear that we cannot say that it is the “present majority” because that is a debatable issue unless you take a poll of everyone in the “common area.” Then, what is the “common area”? And even if you could decide that, by the time you finished the poll the opinion would have changed. That proves that not only it was the opinion at that time but that it was a bad idea to make that the “rule.” We shouldfolow the constant teaching of th Church:
Pope St. Pius X in Tra le Sollecitudini, an encyclical "19. The employment of the piano is FORBIDDEN in church, as is also that of noisy or frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, [musical] bells and the like.
  1. It is strictly forbidden to have bands play in church, and only in special cases with the consent of the Ordinary (Bishop) will it be permissible to admit wind instruments, limited in number, judiciously used, and proportioned to the size of the place provided the composition and accompaniment be written in grave and suitable style, and conform in all respects to that proper to the organ." God bless.

EENS,
So…how do you reconcile the Vatican II quote that I gave with the one you quoted? Oh, and where did you get your quote, I didn’t see a citation. Thanks!
God Bless,

Justin

By the way…didn’t one of the Psalms say something like: “Praise Him with song and dance, make music with timbrel and harp.”
What is your comment regarding the musical nature of the psalms?

Can someone please tell me the last time you listened to secular music and went…“WOW!! What a great timpani part!!” ?? :confused:

Drums started as a religious instrument…just because the world wants to use them for something else doesn’t mean we through them out like dirty rags.

I bet there’s lots of drums in heaven 😃

BTW…The quotes from about are coming from #63 of the text on Sacred Music. I would argue that drums are not, by common opinion or use, suitable for just secular music.

It is so exciting to see such a well-formed apologetic for the percussion! I think they’re great in the proper context. I played timpani once in the “Hallelujah Chorus” and it was a blast! I just want it tasteful and well-played. I looked at your website and it is evident that you are a well-rounded percussionist. I had the unfortunate experience some time back while attending Mass in a remote area to be subjected to a kid playing a trap set along with the choir. He could have passed for the poster-child for Rytelin (sp?). That was an isolated atrocity though. When tastefully played they are appropriate.

I guess it would really depend on HOW the drums were played, and with what music. I’m an old timer, and I still prefer the organ. I get chills and goosebumps everytime I hear one.

40.png
mikworld:
Whenever I go home, I bust out a conga drum if the music is appropriate. I especially do it for the procession on Palm Sunday and bi-lingual stuff. Course, I’d shoot myself if I were to play the drums for ancient hymn…

Justin
One of the musical forms that I love the most is playing ancient hymns with drums. When done in a very stately manner, this can draw the melody and lyrics of the hymn even more toward heaven.

40.png
EENS:
Yes She does:

“63. In permitting and using musical instruments, the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account. However, those instruments which are, by common opinion and use, suitable for secular music only, are to be altogether prohibited from every liturgical celebration and from popular devotions.”

Not only are drums, guitar, etc. forbidden at Mass but also at popular devotions (Benediction, etc.). When Vatican II was written, then instruments WERE used only for secular music, certainly by common opinion. The rules don’t change when a “majority” suddenly change on this. Wherefore, Vatican II clearly meant that instruments at THAT TIME were seen as merely secular. It does not even hint at the fact that this opinion would extend to the present time. God bless.

Matthew

N.B. The majority of people EVEN TODAY would say that drums, guitar, etc. are merely secular. (It is clear that we cannot say that it is the “present majority” because that is a debatable issue unless you take a poll of everyone in the “common area.” Then, what is the “common area”? And even if you could decide that, by the time you finished the poll the opinion would have changed. That proves that not only it was the opinion at that time but that it was a bad idea to make that the “rule.” We shouldfolow the constant teaching of th Church:
Pope St. Pius X in Tra le Sollecitudini, an encyclical "19. The employment of the piano is FORBIDDEN in church, as is also that of noisy or frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, [musical] bells and the like.
  1. It is strictly forbidden to have bands play in church, and only in special cases with the consent of the Ordinary (Bishop) will it be permissible to admit wind instruments, limited in number, judiciously used, and proportioned to the size of the place provided the composition and accompaniment be written in grave and suitable style, and conform in all respects to that proper to the organ." God bless.
Please provide the criteria for determining whether something is suitable for secular music only. Given the instruction that the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account, those responsible for the selection of music and instrumentation must have some sort of criteria with which to judge whether elements of a particular culture and traditions are suitable for sacred music.

With the rise in popularity of Contemporary Christian Music, it is more difficult to try and say that certain instruments are for secular music only. Perhaps there was a time that this was more true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back