A
Angeluzza
Guest
For years now, I have had OCD, which also makes me very scrupulous when it comes to confession and communion. My OCD is pretty much limited to my thoughts, which means I get a lot of unwanted thoughts. I am pretty rational otherwise, and not nuts. I can differentiate clearly between OCD and reality.
Over the years, I have had a very hard time of it with confession. I would get so nervous going in, because I was afraid to tell these things to someone. (Part of it is that sometimes the thoughts are so strong it is like a battle, and I am never sure if I do give in to some of them however briefly.) Priests have not been very nice in the past in different situations (the minute I mention I have OCD it is like they think I am a lunatic) which lead to me going to confession, and thus communion, less and less, until I stopped.
This has been very hard on me as I want to be able to go, but the priests make me feel worse about myself than if I do not go. It is very painful. So after about a year and a half since the last time I went to confession, I could not take it any more, and went to see a priest.
I thought if I talked to him first he could understand my situation, and maybe help me through this. So I set up an appointment. Now, this is a REALLY sensitive topic to me, and I always cry when I go to confession anyways just about, so when we met I started to cry right away. Not freakish sobs, just regular “this hurts” sort of cry. But I thought this was ok - I mean, he is a priest. Its ok to show your weaknesses around them??
Well, I guess not. I explained to him that I have OCD, and that I really would like some direction to be able to get my spiritual life back on track so that I can go to confession, and perhaps get some guidance in some other areas of my life. I was pretty emotional (tears) but not huge sobs or anything crazy.
The priest listened and then said that the only way he would help me was if I went on medication. I was sort of taken back by this. He said to forget going to confession until all of this was dealt with, but that first, in order for it to be dealt with, he wanted me on medication and only then would he help me.
Then, he proceeded to ask me if I had ever been institutionalized. At this point I was really shocked. I said no, at which he said, as if he was thinking aloud, “well, you never know. Sometimes crazy people say some really strange things,” as if he thought in the past I had said strange things or something. (I never said I had, nor did I say anything strange in our meeting.)
Now I was really taken back even more. I was not sure what I had said or done (besides crying?) that would make someone think this and refuse to help me (I did not know only crazy people cry?) I was soooo offended and hurt that someone would think this about me.
He basically cut short the meeting (he had told me the day before we would have 45 minutes. I don’t think we made it to a full half hour.) He told me he would help me but only if I did these things, and that was it. It felt like a total rejection - like, I will only help you if you do what I say.
Well, I left feeling worse than before I went in, and this has not stopped troubling me for a long time now. It made me feel so terrible about myself, because I cannot understand why he would refuse me help especially when I NEED to go to confession and communion and get this resolved. I mean, if I was acting crazy, maybe I can see, but the only thing out of the ordinary I can think of was that I cried, but gosh, I did not know that made me insane.
Was he right? I just do not get it. It is like I am afraid to tell a priest I have OCD, because often when I do they just treat me like a complete freak and I get absolutely NOWHERE. I know medication is an option, and i have done it before, but it has never helped. And besides, medications have horrible side affects that I have experienced and I do not want to create another problem attempting to fix one.
I just don’t know what to do. It is like I will never be able to go to confession or communion again. I am tired of priests assuming they know everything about me because I have OCD, or scrupulous thoughts. I don’t know what to do.
Over the years, I have had a very hard time of it with confession. I would get so nervous going in, because I was afraid to tell these things to someone. (Part of it is that sometimes the thoughts are so strong it is like a battle, and I am never sure if I do give in to some of them however briefly.) Priests have not been very nice in the past in different situations (the minute I mention I have OCD it is like they think I am a lunatic) which lead to me going to confession, and thus communion, less and less, until I stopped.
This has been very hard on me as I want to be able to go, but the priests make me feel worse about myself than if I do not go. It is very painful. So after about a year and a half since the last time I went to confession, I could not take it any more, and went to see a priest.
I thought if I talked to him first he could understand my situation, and maybe help me through this. So I set up an appointment. Now, this is a REALLY sensitive topic to me, and I always cry when I go to confession anyways just about, so when we met I started to cry right away. Not freakish sobs, just regular “this hurts” sort of cry. But I thought this was ok - I mean, he is a priest. Its ok to show your weaknesses around them??
Well, I guess not. I explained to him that I have OCD, and that I really would like some direction to be able to get my spiritual life back on track so that I can go to confession, and perhaps get some guidance in some other areas of my life. I was pretty emotional (tears) but not huge sobs or anything crazy.
The priest listened and then said that the only way he would help me was if I went on medication. I was sort of taken back by this. He said to forget going to confession until all of this was dealt with, but that first, in order for it to be dealt with, he wanted me on medication and only then would he help me.
Then, he proceeded to ask me if I had ever been institutionalized. At this point I was really shocked. I said no, at which he said, as if he was thinking aloud, “well, you never know. Sometimes crazy people say some really strange things,” as if he thought in the past I had said strange things or something. (I never said I had, nor did I say anything strange in our meeting.)
Now I was really taken back even more. I was not sure what I had said or done (besides crying?) that would make someone think this and refuse to help me (I did not know only crazy people cry?) I was soooo offended and hurt that someone would think this about me.
He basically cut short the meeting (he had told me the day before we would have 45 minutes. I don’t think we made it to a full half hour.) He told me he would help me but only if I did these things, and that was it. It felt like a total rejection - like, I will only help you if you do what I say.
Well, I left feeling worse than before I went in, and this has not stopped troubling me for a long time now. It made me feel so terrible about myself, because I cannot understand why he would refuse me help especially when I NEED to go to confession and communion and get this resolved. I mean, if I was acting crazy, maybe I can see, but the only thing out of the ordinary I can think of was that I cried, but gosh, I did not know that made me insane.
Was he right? I just do not get it. It is like I am afraid to tell a priest I have OCD, because often when I do they just treat me like a complete freak and I get absolutely NOWHERE. I know medication is an option, and i have done it before, but it has never helped. And besides, medications have horrible side affects that I have experienced and I do not want to create another problem attempting to fix one.
I just don’t know what to do. It is like I will never be able to go to confession or communion again. I am tired of priests assuming they know everything about me because I have OCD, or scrupulous thoughts. I don’t know what to do.