No Ordained Female Priests

• Thread starter Thread starter Crusader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crusader

Why do some Catholics insist that one day there might be ordained female priests in the Catholic Church? Such discussions are a total waste of time given the release of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis by Pope JPII in 1994.

ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP2ORDIN.HTM

In brief, the Church does not have the authority to ordain female priests. This teaching is now part of the Church’s deposit of faith. It cannot change.

So why do some people still spend so much time trying to push something that will never be realized? A priest recently told me he wasn’t sure if women would ever be ordained as priests as “the Spirit hasn’t told me yet.” Gee, how about the Church’s guidance through the Holy Father?

Overall, is it due to bad communication and catechesis, or simply ignorance and arrogance on the part of some – or something altogether different?

Hey Crusader,

Did you check out the thread named Womens Ordination? if not check it out.

Also, this teaching has always been part of the deposit of faith , which is why, as JPII states in paragraph 4 of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis:

paraphrasing here sorry - ‘the Church has no authority to confer upon women priestly ordination’

in Christ Cephas 👍

40.png
Crusader:
Why do some Catholics insist that one day there might be ordained female priests in the Catholic Church? Such discussions are a total waste of time given the release of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis by Pope JPII in 1994.

Overall, is it due to bad communication and catechesis, or simply ignorance and arrogance on the part of some – or something altogether different?
Personally, I think that Americans have some strange idea that democracy can enter the church…as if morals can be selected by majority opinion. I also think this is an offshoot of liberal theologions who think that unless it is infallibly stated from the chair of Peter, it is changable. Some people seem to be catching the same thought process. Although look at history, for those that don’t truly understand all the levels of what is required to believe, what you must accept, what is dogma, what is tradition, many things are happening today (gay marriage for one) that no one would have believed that long ago. So why shouldn’t they just believe that if enough pressure is applied the church will give in? Silly, of course, the Holy Spirit won’t allow it, but since the world is largely ignoring the Holy Spirit’s guidance, the world at large sure has fallen.

John

40.png
Crusader:
Why do some Catholics insist that one day there might be ordained female priests in the Catholic Church?
Because their mirror tells them not to listen to the Pillar of Truth and they must obey their master (the mirror), or else it will crack the whip on them. 🙂

40.png
yochumjy:
Personally, I think that Americans have some strange idea that democracy can enter the church…as if morals can be selected by majority opinion. I also think this is an offshoot of liberal theologions who think that unless it is infallibly stated from the chair of Peter, it is changable. Some people seem to be catching the same thought process. Although look at history, for those that don’t truly understand all the levels of what is required to believe, what you must accept, what is dogma, what is tradition, many things are happening today (gay marriage for one) that no one would have believed that long ago. So why shouldn’t they just believe that if enough pressure is applied the church will give in? Silly, of course, the Holy Spirit won’t allow it, but since the world is largely ignoring the Holy Spirit’s guidance, the world at large sure has fallen.

John
Fascinating insight…

Unfortunately, there will always be Cafeteria Catholics among us 😦

Perhaps they do not understand the special role that women have in the history of Salvation. Perhaps they do not have a grasp of why women cannot be ordained. Perhaps it is more Fruedian. They desire that which is forbidden to them while denying the special graces given to them as a woman. I love my son, but I can never be his mother. His bond to her is different that it is to me. At the same time, only men can be priests. I do not curse God that I cannot bare children, though I love them, why should women curse God for not allowing them to be priests?

By the way, I was a psych major, and I do not like Frued or most of his theories. It just seems like basic penis envy to me.

40.png
ralphinal:
Perhaps they do not understand the special role that women have in the history of Salvation. Perhaps they do not have a grasp of why women cannot be ordained. Perhaps it is more Fruedian. They desire that which is forbidden to them while denying the special graces given to them as a woman. I love my son, but I can never be his mother. His bond to her is different that it is to me. At the same time, only men can be priests. I do not curse God that I cannot bare children, though I love them, why should women curse God for not allowing them to be priests?

By the way, I was a psych major, and I do not like Frued or most of his theories. It just seems like basic penis envy to me.
More fascinating (name removed by moderator)ut. I am beginning to think that 2-3 generations of horrible catechesis is also to blame…

Vatican II really caught a lot of people by surprise. Most were not prepared for a pastoral Council; Most people “in the field”, including many, if not most priests, had a very doctrinal focus. At the same time, there were tremendous changes going on in society in terms of information (television was relatively new), a prolonged police action (Viet Nam), the increasing spread of a sexual revolution (probably starting in the “roaring 20s”), coupled with an explsion of advanced education due to the GI Bill after WW II. Then, on top of that came the lead up to Humanae Vitae, with the leaking of the majority opinion in favor of the Pill, the release of HV, and the subsequent explosion of dissent from theologians and bishops who favored the Pill as a means of birth control (in the face of what was often called “Vatican Roullette”, the Rhythm Method; hardly reliable). The Pill was seen as only changing the hormonal ratio of the female; much has been learned since then as to its other “attributes”. In addition to all this, Vatican II was prompting a rethinking of Moral Theology in an attempt to get back to a scriptural understanding, and less on a “Manual” approach, which was prone to be minimalistic and legalistic. At the same time, philosophy (particularly ethics) was going under a revolution with Situational Ethics.
This whole soup got put on the high burner with HV, and we are still seeing the results. It has caused a recasting of Moral Theology, and in particular the issue of conscience, and that in turn, along with some very unclear perceptions of what VII was really calling for, spilled over into catechesis, to no one’s gain.
The Traditionalists want to dump Vatican II; the Liberals want to implement the “Spirit of Vatican II” and the battle rages. Part of the problem seems to be that the Left doesn’t seem to have read any of the documents; and I’ve met Traditionalists who also have not read them; or if they did read them, it was with such skewed vision that they didn’t even begin to understand them. The net result is often a phenomenal amount of rhetoric, and precious little understanding.
And much of the “cafateria Catholic” approach is due to this stew. Hope that brings some light to the subject.

40.png
Crusader:
Why do some Catholics insist that one day there might be ordained female priests in the Catholic Church?
Hi Crusader!

I think some priests think they are doing ,us women, a favour when talking about female priests. They mix the understanding of ‘human worth’ with ‘roles’.

They mix a secular understnding of society with christian understanding of society. I think some of the priests after Vatican II are responsible for such thinking.

I also think that the ecumenical movement is to blame. Protestants have female priests already. Some don’t hesitate in giving away catholic faith.

Personally I think this “female-priest-wave” is over for the moment. Good cathecesis are on the way in. 👍

G.G.

40.png
ralphinal:
Perhaps they do not understand the special role that women have in the history of Salvation.

I do not want to make light of the true suffering of people who feel that they are second class citizens of the Church because they are female. I also know that throughout Church history (as with all history) women have been seen as lesser in some way to men.
I think we need to acknowledge the truth.

This being said, I agree with ralphinal that we (both men and women) do not understand the special role that women have in Salvation history. I have struggled with this issue in the past. I think I did not understand God unmeasurable love for me or the joyous gift He has given me of both physical motherhood and spiritual motherhood. Devotion to Mary, Mother of Jesus has helped me to understand the role of women in the Church. I would like others to share their insights into this challenging role for woman.

I

This is an issue that I have elected not to debate with those who promote it anymore. I will gladly discuss the role of women, but I will NOT argue about why they can’t be priests, because the case is closed. Such discussions (once the VERY CLEAR writings of the Magisterium are pointed out) are fruitless. My only reponse to arguments about this is, “The case is closed. Obey.” 😃

As one great Vatican II era theologian, Hans Urs von Balthasar, has so clearly pointed out; those who are ordained act as “Other Christs” and hold spousal responsibilities to the bride which is the Church.

The nuptial and fertile design of God in the Church is inseparable from the design of God in our lives. We are fixed to our sexual genders as God’s love is fixed to his Divine creation, Holy Mother Church.

Balthasar sees that the clericalization of femininity can only be achieved at the expense of the mystical character of the Church. He sees such an organization as bitter, polemical, humorless, and ultimately boring, the people will run away from such a church because the Church fails to reflect the spiritual and physical nature of God as revealed to humanity.

The error of those that seek the feminine priesthood is made clear by the sterile “homosexual” marriage with the bride it would create.

We only have to see the Boston headlines to know how prophetic his words were. The unholy convergence between radical feminists agendas and homosexual priests virtually paralyzed and nearly destroyed that Diocese by recommending and fostering the cover-ups of their trusted allies. These radicals systematically manipulated the frailties and ineptitudes of those who fought a demoralized rear action against the radical onslaught. Thank goodness these scandals were brought into the open, even though the motives of those who reported it were not angelic.

The Church does not scandalize itself when it claims it has no authority to rewrite what God has created in matter and time. Only the unfaithful and or ill-informed still argue for the errors of women ordination. Pray for them.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back