"No organ" rule during Advent and Lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TBolt1000T
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could definitely support a no-guitars rule, spanning the period from the First Sunday of Advent through the Feast of Christ the King.
 
I could definitely support a no-guitars rule, spanning the period from the First Sunday of Advent through the Feast of Christ the King.
I second that motion! Unfortunately, many people take the view that if something isn’t forbidden that it’s perfectly okay to use it. I called the person in charge of the Office of Divine Worship in our diocese just to see what she’d say about electric bass guitars being used in Mass. Her answer? “Well, there really isn’t anything said about those, but I’m sure they’re alright to use because I’ve heard them in churches before.” :rolleyes:
 
aw jeeze…

the only upside to contemporary or folky music in church, that I can see, is that it could encourage more younger people to get involved. hopefully they’ll learn to appreciate the rest of mass instead of just the music, but sometimes you need to get em in the door, ya know? especially in southern areas, where the protestant churches are all about that stuff!

that being said, there’s a difference between having that style of music, and having a whole band up there…

for some reason - maybe it’s just because of the tradition of choral/orchestral music being associated with church, or the fact that I just like it better - a full choir, and even some orchestral accompaniment, doesn’t really draw my attention away from mass. unless they’re awful, in which case I’d rather it be quiet. 😛 but when there’re people up there, even a relatively small group, with drums and everything amped, or a program of contemporary tunes, it’s totally distracting. could also be because a lot of that stuff is syncopated and stands out more…

anyway, I just go to a mass that has what I like!
 
I second that motion! Unfortunately, many people take the view that if something isn’t forbidden that it’s perfectly okay to use it. I called the person in charge of the Office of Divine Worship in our diocese just to see what she’d say about electric bass guitars being used in Mass. Her answer? “Well, there really isn’t anything said about those, but I’m sure they’re alright to use because I’ve heard them in churches before.” :rolleyes:
Evidently, she has not read Musicam Sacram which indicates to the contrary. What is just as bad is that at our Cathedral, we have a full blown Mariachi band with trumpets blaring during Lent. So much for the music being loud enough only to support the singing. The Mariachis blow everything away.
 
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :
“313. … In Advent the organ and other musical instruments should be used with a moderation that is consistent with the season’s character and does not anticipate the full joy of the Nativity of the Lord.
In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.”
can the bells rung in lent?
 
Our young priest is quite traditional. We use chant during Lent. However, I still play the organ on the processional/recessional, and also during communion. I have been playing some really interesting stuff from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries of sacred organ pieces…Now I am learning there should be just silence…?
 
aw jeeze…

the only upside to contemporary or folky music in church, that I can see, is that it could encourage more younger people to get involved.
I don’t think it does. In fact, the more contemporary and folky the music is, the more I avoid those churches. I see more 20-something Catholics at the TLM I attend than the NO I attend, which has some of the most atrocious songs that make me wonder what they even have to do with Mass.

I miss the full blown organ at Mass. I can’t wait for its return at Easter, along with Jesus, of course.:cool:
 
Our young priest is quite traditional. We use chant during Lent. However, I still play the organ on the processional/recessional, and also during communion. I have been playing some really interesting stuff from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries of sacred organ pieces…Now I am learning there should be just silence…?
Not silence, but solemn and suitable communal singing of Eucharistic hymns.

Or recitation of the communion antiphon.
 
At our abbey, the organ is not played during Advent or Lent, the exceptions being:
  1. Gaudete Sunday (3d Sunday in Advent)
  2. Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday in Lent)
  3. Solemnities.
The Mass form is the Ordinary Form.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top