No such thing as consensual sex for a priest

• Thread starter Thread starter Maximian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A priest engaging in sexual contact whether it is consensual or not is a mortal sin.
Not to be nit-picky, and I’m sure you just misspoke, but a priest who engages in sexual contact nonconsensually isn’t sinning. At that point he’s just the victim of a crime.

You are not nit-picky; I could have phrased it better.

Let’s try “consensual or abusive” which should include either force or intimidation, as well as “under age”. Consensual I take to be adult and adult; and I will leave it there.

I don’t really follow your argument. A priest undertakes not to get married. That does not mean that he has withheld consent from all sexual activity for life. When people get married, they make a vow not to have sex with anyone other than their spouse for as long as they both live. However, a married person can still consent to sex with somebody other than their spouse if that’s what they choose to do.

The canon law of the Catholic Church only has effects in quite limited areas of life.

Your argument does not make any sense.

The priest, regardless of his vows, still has free will to choose to commit a sexual sin.

A non-vulnerable adult to whom the priest makes a sexual advance also has free will to agree and choose to commit a sexual sin with a priest.

The priest breaking his vow of celibacy does not make him automatically guilty of “sexually harassing” a consenting adult.

So the bottom line is, should a priest be automatically laicized for breaking his vow of celibacy with a consenting adult. I would say it depends on the priest and the situation, and that the priest’s superiors are in the best position to decide what to do for an individual priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back