A
agapewolf
Guest
I understand what you are saying. As a music director, ANYONE, catholic or not, who views participating in the music ministry as a means to perform is not in the right ministry. My music ministers, 99% of the time have the best attitude of service, so a “performer” does not fit in, and actually they quickly see it themselves and either adjust their attitude or leave. (by their own evaluation).Thank you for the kind and charitable answers. In my original post I left out something important, because it was early and I was in a rush to get started on a 500 mile day.
She is not participating in the choir regularly, only on Christmas Eve-Midnight Mass. Yes, I am praying that this can be one step towards a re-conversion.
But my internal problem, my: this.feels.wrong.to.me : is that her participation is likely more about performance than liturgy.
All of the parts of the Holy Mass are parts of one whole, one prayer, the prayer of the church…the most important prayer that happens on this created world: the Eucharistic Prayer, the source and summit of our worship, the Prayer, Sacrifice, and Sacrament through which all of the other Sacraments derive their power (at least according to St. Thomas Aquinas).
It seems that someone who has publicly rejected before her family and her parish the very foundation of our faith–the Real Presence of our Lord and Saviour in the Holy Sacraments of the Catholic (Universal) Church, invites scandal when performing one of the liturgical functions–helping to lead the faithful in musical prayer.
I teach our EMHC and Lectors at our parish that everyone in the building is participating in the Eucharistic Prayer, although it is the action of Jesus and Jesus alone, and only through the words spoken by the Celebrating Priests (acting in persona Christi) that this most profound miracle takes place. But those who have visible roles–the altar servers, the choir, the lay readers, the ushers…it seems to me they should BELEIVE in what they are doing.
Otherwise seems a sacrilege. And every parish that I have seen that has non-Catholic music directors or organists also have music ministries that seem slanted well more towards performance than liturgical prayer.
In many protestant services, they have more of a performance based music ministry, so the approach may be different, however, I know some and they have a heart for prayer in their music as well.
I have 2 non-Catholics in my Catholic lifeteen worship band. (Please no arguments about lifeteen here). My drummer has the heart of a servant, and he realizes that his job is to help the church sing better and drown him out, which they do. He plays so often for me for free and sacrifices a lot for the parish, including the music ministry. He has a way better attitude than many Catholic musicians I’ve worked with.
So what I’m saying is that just because of the situation, there might not be an “attitude” issue. THis may be a means of conversion.