Non-Catholic student received Eucharist

  • Thread starter Thread starter twosweetgirls
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twosweetgirls

Guest
I’m a catechist for a fantastic group of 10th graders. After I kicked out one clown who was causing trouble, my class has gelled and it’s been wonderful to guide them and teach them. 🙂 I think the world of each of them.

So last night, one of my students brought a friend to class! I find out that this girl is from a Baptist background, and has been attending Mass with my student for several times already.

But when we went to Mass as a class, I was very surprised to see this girl process to receive Holy Eucharist. I gently asked her about it immediately after Mass, and my student said her father asked our Priest, and the Priest told him it was okay if this friend received Holy Eucharist. :eek:

Now, it could be that our Priest didn’t know this friend was Baptist, but when I questioned our Priest about it, he said he never talked to either my student or her father about this friend.

So, someone’s lying to me.

I should also add that while I was talking to my student and her friend about this, and why it was so important, my Priest basically showed us the door and insisted we attend a fundraiser talk that was going on the gym at that moment. I e-mailed my Priest as soon as I got home, wanting to discuss this in person with him–not only about my student/her friend/Holy Eucharist, but also how pushy he was in showing us out of the sanctuary–but he refused. So, it appears I’m on my own.

I will most definitely confront my Priest about this at some point–both about the Holy Eucharist situation and his brusqueness–but I welcome your thoughts as to how I should handle this.
 
What it sounds like to me is that the Priest did give permission and you caught him, and now he is refusing to discuss the matter with you. If he was not involved in this matter, I can only think he would be more than willing to discuss the matter with you, but because he is refusing to discuss it with you, i would, unfortunately, assume he did give permission for a non-Catholic to receive Communion. If he refuses to discuss it, I guess the only choice you have is to go over his head, but do so with caution…priest are human and he may feel resentment, even though you are within your rights to do so.
 
Unfortunately, this permission is not the priest’s to give. It falls to the bishop to permit a non-Catholic to receive Holy Communion. Even then, it must be for a gravely serious reason. Keep copies of the correspondence and document everything. If the priest remains obstinate, you will, more than likely, have to take this matter up with the bishop.
 
If the young girl knows that it is wrong to take the Host, then she is in sin. if she is unaware of it then she is fine. And yes, the Bishop has the authority to say if a person can recieve it, but its only if its in dire need as posted before.
 
But when we went to Mass as a class, I was very surprised to see this girl process to receive Holy Eucharist. I gently asked her about it immediately after Mass, and my student said her father asked our Priest, and the Priest told him it was okay if this friend received Holy Eucharist. :eek:

Now, it could be that our Priest didn’t know this friend was Baptist, but when I questioned our Priest about it, he said he never talked to either my student or her father about this friend.

So, someone’s lying to me.
sounds like the student’s father has been caught lying. He probably never bothered to call the priest and didn’t want to alienate his kid’s friend.
I should also add that while I was talking to my student and her friend about this, and why it was so important, my Priest basically showed us the door and insisted we attend a fundraiser talk that was going on the gym at that moment. I e-mailed my Priest as soon as I got home, wanting to discuss this in person with him–not only about my student/her friend/Holy Eucharist, but also how pushy he was in showing us out of the sanctuary–but he refused. So, it appears I’m on my own.

I will most definitely confront my Priest about this at some point–both about the Holy Eucharist situation and his brusqueness–but I welcome your thoughts as to how I should handle this.
The sanctuary is no place for a discussion. Sounds like the priest had to attend another function and you were holding him up.

‘Confronting the priest’ sounds like you are going on the offensive. I’m sure if you call and make an appointment with your priest to discuss your confusion, as it applies to teaching your class, you’ll be able to resolve your issues.
 
I’m a catechist for a fantastic group of 10th graders. After I kicked out one clown who was causing trouble, my class has gelled and it’s been wonderful to guide them and teach them. 🙂 I think the world of each of them.

So last night, one of my students brought a friend to class! I find out that this girl is from a Baptist background, and has been attending Mass with my student for several times already.

But when we went to Mass as a class, I was very surprised to see this girl process to receive Holy Eucharist. I gently asked her about it immediately after Mass, and my student said her father asked our Priest, and the Priest told him it was okay if this friend received Holy Eucharist. :eek:

Now, it could be that our Priest didn’t know this friend was Baptist, but when I questioned our Priest about it, he said he never talked to either my student or her father about this friend.

So, someone’s lying to me.

I should also add that while I was talking to my student and her friend about this, and why it was so important, my Priest basically showed us the door and insisted we attend a fundraiser talk that was going on the gym at that moment. I e-mailed my Priest as soon as I got home, wanting to discuss this in person with him–not only about my student/her friend/Holy Eucharist, but also how pushy he was in showing us out of the sanctuary–but he refused. So, it appears I’m on my own.

I will most definitely confront my Priest about this at some point–both about the Holy Eucharist situation and his brusqueness–but I welcome your thoughts as to how I should handle this.
Your priest said he never talked to your student or her father about the friend. I have no reason to believe that he lied. Maybe he didn’t think that the sanctuary was the best place to carry on the conversation. I would just like to hear the other side of the story.
 
sounds like the student’s father has been caught lying. He probably never bothered to call the priest and didn’t want to alienate his kid’s friend.

The sanctuary is no place for a discussion. Sounds like the priest had to attend another function and you were holding him up.

‘Confronting the priest’ sounds like you are going on the offensive.** I’m sure if you call and make an appointment with your priest to discuss your confusion, as it applies to teaching your class, you’ll be able to resolve your issues**.
I think this would be the best way to handle it rather than email.
 
I’m a catechist for a fantastic group of 10th graders. After I kicked out one clown who was causing trouble, my class has gelled and it’s been wonderful to guide them and teach them. 🙂 I think the world of each of them.

So last night, one of my students brought a friend to class! I find out that this girl is from a Baptist background, and has been attending Mass with my student for several times already.

But when we went to Mass as a class, I was very surprised to see this girl process to receive Holy Eucharist. I gently asked her about it immediately after Mass, and my student said her father asked our Priest, and the Priest told him it was okay if this friend received Holy Eucharist. :eek:

Now, it could be that our Priest didn’t know this friend was Baptist, but when I questioned our Priest about it, he said he never talked to either my student or her father about this friend.

So, someone’s lying to me.

I should also add that while I was talking to my student and her friend about this, and why it was so important, my Priest basically showed us the door and insisted we attend a fundraiser talk that was going on the gym at that moment. I e-mailed my Priest as soon as I got home, wanting to discuss this in person with him–not only about my student/her friend/Holy Eucharist, but also how pushy he was in showing us out of the sanctuary–but he refused. So, it appears I’m on my own.

I will most definitely confront my Priest about this at some point–both about the Holy Eucharist situation and his brusqueness–but I welcome your thoughts as to how I should handle this.
He said No. End of conversation!
To confront a priest at your convenience, not his , is pushy.
 
He said No. End of conversation!
To confront a priest at your convenience, not his , is pushy.
While the manner in which the OP initially handled it may not have been the best one, it is definitely not the end of the conversation. It is not up to the priest to permit a non-Catholic to receive Holy Communion. It falls to the bishop and only under grave circumstances.

The conversation does need to happen.
 
It strikes me as curious that the OP uses the term “confront”.

Sounds to me like there’s a little less than a charitable response planned here. Could be wrong, though. 🤷
 
While the manner in which the OP initially handled it may not have been the best one, it is definitely not the end of the conversation. It is not up to the priest to permit a non-Catholic to receive Holy Communion. It falls to the bishop and only under grave circumstances.

The conversation does need to happen.
The priest said that he never spoke to the student or her father about the friend.
 
While the manner in which the OP initially handled it may not have been the best one, it is definitely not the end of the conversation. It is not up to the priest to permit a non-Catholic to receive Holy Communion. It falls to the bishop and only under grave circumstances.

The conversation does need to happen.
:doh2:
 
In my experience a lot of priest don’t think so much about non-catholics receiving the Holy Eucharist…

When I was 16 and came to the first Mass I too was told by my friend from Iraq to fold my hands and receive communion… after that my priest (who is the best priest I have ever known… and if it was not for him I properbly wouldn’t have ended up Catholic) learned that I was not Catholic… and he didn’t expect me to come back for next week… but when I once again stood there, he was rather surprised and felt that he couldn’t exactly give it to me one time and then deny me the next… even though the Church teaches this is wrong, I urge you to consider this: If we truly believe this is the Body and Blood of our Master and we read the holy scripture where Jesus says that he who eats his flesh will stay in Jesus, and Jesus in him… then I am convinced that this is so very true from my own experience and it helped me to stay in the Church and finally convert when I was 17…

another example is the generalvicar or “vice-bishop” of Denmark have also told that he once gave Eucharist to young catholic girl, before she had received her actual “First Communion”… and there was a small miracle attached to the story but i forgot… 😛

When I was at a college trip to Mallorca and we visited the Cathedral and attended the Mass… when it came to communion, I of course went… and I told some of my friends to put their hand on their shoulder so the priest would give them a blessing instead of Communion (thats how we do it in Denmark) but my friends including a Hindu, a Lutheran and Somalian who is on the edge of converting to catholicism (he is not officially christian) all received the Holy Communion because the priest thought that they wanted him to put on their tounge…

But surely Jesus can only do miracles with this… And since then… at least both the Lutheran and the Somalian have attended out local Catholic Church and one out of three is about to convert… I think that is the great effect of his Body and Blood.
 
Is it possible that the Baptist girl didnt know that she shouldnt take Eucharist, which would be understandable if you’re a first timer at a Catholic mass. If everyone else is proccessing to the front and taking the sacrament then the fact that she shouldnt do the same probably didnt even cross her mind since she wasnt told not to. And maybe your student only said that the priest said it was ok in order to defend her friend? Oh I dont know, I feel Im adding fuel to the fire. I talk too much. I hope this gets resolved for you 😉
 
This is an area where I’ve been nothing but confused by the inconsistency shown so many times. And in my own case, when the inconsistency is pointed out, no one will answer the question. In fact, I’ve been told I’m not even allowed to ask the question in my wife’s parish where I think there’s been some serious mistakes made. I am thinking of actually writing an article on the topic with the title being “An accidental Catholic?”
 
This is an area where I’ve been nothing but confused by the inconsistency shown so many times.
There are too many “pastoral exceptions” (breaking the law in order to avoid hurting someone’s feelings) - I think most adults can handle the idea that, having chosen not to be Catholics, they are not under the authority nor under the care of the Catholic priest - he has no obligations, duties, or responsibilities towards non-Catholics who happen to visit his church, and nor does he have any authority over them, to administer the Sacraments to them; they have their own ministers, who are more than willing to give them whatever they want or need with regard to Sacraments, counseling, etc.
In fact, I’ve been told I’m not even allowed to ask the question in my wife’s parish where I think there’s been some serious mistakes made.
Who is saying this? I am not entirely sure what “the question” is, but I have a hard time believing that your parish priest is refusing to answer a question about who is permitted to receive Holy Communion. Is he aware that you are not Catholic, or that you are in an irregular marriage? If not, perhaps he just needs to be made aware of the context of your question.
 
If the Priest gave permission for a Non-Catholic to receive Communion, he should be reported to your Bishop. If you even have doubts about this, I would report the incident to the Bishop, telling him what both sides have said.

Under no circumstances can any Priest grant permission for non-Catholics (other than Orthodox) to receive communion.
 
One of my priests takes a liberal view on this, saying that if someone he knows probably isn’t Catholic (because of the small parish in a small town) and they go up to receive communion, then rather than embarrass them he would give the Host to them and confront them afterward. It just makes me wonder in general why any priest who knows they are encountering someone who is clearly not Catholic would not simply give that person a blessing rather than knowingly give them communion. 🤷
 
There are too many “pastoral exceptions” (breaking the law in order to avoid hurting someone’s feelings) - I think most adults can handle the idea that, having chosen not to be Catholics, they are not under the authority nor under the care of the Catholic priest - he has no obligations, duties, or responsibilities towards non-Catholics who happen to visit his church, and nor does he have any authority over them, to administer the Sacraments to them; they have their own ministers, who are more than willing to give them whatever they want or need with regard to Sacraments, counseling, etc.

Who is saying this? I am not entirely sure what “the question” is, but I have a hard time believing that your parish priest is refusing to answer a question about who is permitted to receive Holy Communion. Is he aware that you are not Catholic, or that you are in an irregular marriage? If not, perhaps he just needs to be made aware of the context of your question.
Oh he’s fully aware of the question and circumstances. I submitted them in writing and was told those questions could be asked by my Catholic wife, who chooses not to, but that they would not be addressed with me. It’s in regard to a first communion that I believe should never have taken place. I’ll PM you the letter I sent him if you would like. — all names redacted of course.
 
Oh he’s fully aware of the question and circumstances. I submitted them in writing and was told those questions could be asked by my Catholic wife, who chooses not to, but that they would not be addressed with me. It’s in regard to a first communion that I believe should never have taken place. I’ll PM you the letter I sent him if you would like. — all names redacted of course.
It’s none of my business, of course - but now you’ve got me curious. 😛 Send it, if you want to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top