Non-Catholics married by priest

• Thread starter Thread starter Kristofer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kristofer

I have two friends, neither of whom are Catholic, planning on getting married in a few months. The only minister that they know and with whom they are close happens to be a Catholic priest. They asked me if a Catholic priest could marry non-Catholics outside of the Church. I said that legally, as a minister, he could, but the question is would he. Even though the Catholic Church recognizes other Christian and civil marriages as fully valid, can he help to make a “non-sacramental” marriage?

40.png
Kristofer:
I have two friends, neither of whom are Catholic, planning on getting married in a few months. The only minister that they know and with whom they are close happens to be a Catholic priest. They asked me if a Catholic priest could marry non-Catholics outside of the Church. I said that legally, as a minister, he could, but the question is would he. Even though the Catholic Church recognizes other Christian and civil marriages as fully valid, can he help to make a “non-sacramental” marriage?
The answer to that is it may be possible or it may not. The priest would first have to get permission . A priest can be given permission by the local ordinary to perform a marriage service in a Protestant church. It is also possible to have the service performed by both a priest and a Protestant minister, however in a single minister must ask for and receive the matrimonial consent of both parties (i.e., the husband’s minister cannot ask for the husband to say, “I do,” while the wife’s minister asks her to say “I do”).

I don’t think he could marry two non-Catholics in a Catholic church though. Perhaps Karl can clarify that part of it.
jmj,
Marie

I don’t believe that their goal is to be married in a Catholic Church. They simply want their friend, the priest, to perform the ceremony, wherever they happen to be. I just wasn’t sure if a Catholic priest could/would perform a marriage without either participant being Catholic.

Also, thank you for your help, Marie.

It sounds to me like they don’t go to church (?) in which case they might plan on having the wedding outside of any church, so the priest alone would be enough. I know I’ve seen it done (well, for Catholic/Jewish weddings) where weddings were held in halls rather than churches and the priest officiated.

And I LOVE your signature line! 🙂

40.png
Kristofer:
I don’t believe that their goal is to be married in a Catholic Church. They simply want their friend, the priest, to perform the ceremony, wherever they happen to be. I just wasn’t sure if a Catholic priest could/would perform a marriage without either participant being Catholic.

You are most welcome. It’s not the whole picture. It looks like he can do it with special permission from what I can tell. I await someone who has more knowledge to answer the specifics though. The above was just the outline the church has given. I cannot speak for how it will actually fit the situation you described. Maybe Fr Leo would know if he drops in.

40.png
Kristofer:

Your welcome. I love that sig line too. My other favorite one that is close to it is “The distance between conversion and atheism is from your head to your heart.”

40.png
Kristofer:
I was married by a Roman Catholic priest. My wife was Roman Catholic and my denomination was Southern Baptist. The Roman Carholic priest said our marriage was “sacramental”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back