Non-Catholics saved?

• Thread starter Thread starter safa92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like posts of people saying “only these people” or “only those people”. Fact is, none of us are Jesus and He is “the way the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except through Him.”

I will leave all judgement on who can be saved to Jesus. Jesus is not bound by any rule of who can and cannot be saved. If He wishes to give someone the graces to discover Him, He will do so.

Last edited:
I don’t like posts of people saying “only these people” or “only those people”. Fact is, none of us are Jesus and He is “the way the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except through Him.”

I will leave all judgement on who can be saved to Jesus. Jesus is not bound by any rule of who can and cannot be saved. If He wishes to give someone the graces to discover Him, He will do so.
Matthew 19
22 When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions. 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” 25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, “Who then can be saved?” 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”

Yes exactly, we cannot understand who will be saved. But God is boundless and can save whomever He wishes through His grace

Yes exactly, we cannot understand who will be saved. But God is boundless and can save whomever He wishes through His grace
Exactly. And we also know that the latest time at which that occurs is the moment that the body and soul separate, and that it requires our free will consent.

But how does it work in reverse? What exactly would keep you from becoming a Muslim?
My faith in Jesus Christ. The difference is, there is no Muslim teaching that allows me to attain heaven while openly rejecting Allah.
but ‘invincible ignorance’ merely may lead to salvation.
I don’t disagree with that. I just oppose the sometimes broad application with which this understanding is often used.
Fact is, none of us are Jesus and He is “the way the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except through Him.”
Exactly! That’s the whole point.

I’m not advocating that as Catholics we are part of some exclusive “members only club”. I fully understand and accept that in some instances there could be individuals who are saved outside of having a faith in Christ. These are known only to Jesus Himself and we can’t speculate or offer probabilities on how this could apply to everyone who rejects Christ and His Church.

Our mission is to evangelize everyone and share the truth of salvation. Because as Catholics we believe that the fullness of truth is only found here.

When we are asked “Do I need Jesus and the Church to attain Salvation?” The Answers is always Yes! If someone says “Well that’s your belief and I don’t believe in Jesus or the Catholic Church.”

We don’t comfort them by saying there are privileged and not privileged routes to Heaven, so they don’t necessarily need to have faith in Jesus. That’s not the same as saying I know they are going to hell.

That’s all I’m saying.

40.png
Gorgias:
but ‘invincible ignorance’ merely may lead to salvation.
I don’t disagree with that. I just oppose the sometimes broad application with which this understanding is often used.
Fair enough. I wasn’t applying it over-broadly, though, I think. 🤷‍♂️
These are known only to Jesus Himself and we can’t speculate or offer probabilities on how this could apply to everyone who rejects Christ and His Church.
Except that, in your examples, you’re arguing for “zero percent probability”. 😉

There is a story that was told. It seems that some people died. They were greeted by St Peter. He welcomed them to Heaven and they got on this big elevator. As it went up St Peter told everybody that they would have to be quiet. He explained that this was the part of Heaven for those Catholics who thought they were the only ones there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back