Not By Faith Alone

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, how is that you reject he is a scholar? Again, with the limited knowledge you possess of his work, how are you qualified to make this judgment? That is not a rhetorical question. It is sincere.
I answered that in the paragraph you were responding too. My reason for not calling him a scholar is based on my argument below.
Personally I don’t care what Bob says on the matter. There are several things I disagree with him on. I think has done great work. I thoroughly enjoyed his books “Not by Faith Alone” "Not by Scripture Alone"and “Not by Bread Alone.” He is very talented, but he has limitations like all of us. It just so happens that when I disagree with him, I reeeeeaaaaally disagree with him (i.e. matters of science). Secondly, I already told you I respect Dr. Hahn’s opinion on Biblical theology more than Bob’s.
Yeah, but Dr Sungenis made his arguments based on tradition, that has to count for something, right?
That’s precisely my point! Most read at that level for a period of time. Scholars do it for a lifetime!
Nope, reading a liftetime does not make one a scholar or qualifies one as a scholar.
And while you are correct about your 50 years comment not be a direct cause/effect relationship, the two are highly correlated. And for the record, I don’t think there is a magical number. That was my point before. If you want to objectify the term scholar, you have to define it using verifiable categories. I personally believe it is a very subjective term, as previously stated, and thus don’t think it is possible to objectify it.
It is somewhat subjective, but I don’t think your criteria will be used by anyone. I at least provided a neutral source that was more in line with what I said.
Again, I don’t think it is an exact science. He has been known as an apologist for so long, I think a lot of people still think of him in this way. Yet, there has been a distinct jump in his level and scope of work in the last 5-10 years. He and Curtis Mitch have taken on a complete Biblical Commentary called the Ignatius Bible Study. He has produced Catechesis and Biblical literacy programs for Catholic parishes across the nation. He has undertaken the Letter and Spirit articles. I think these are all signs of his growth in scholarship. Regardless, I don’t think there is any onus here. Again, I think there is a lot of subjectivity to it. I don’t believe you have to agree with me. I will not try to prove it to you since it is not really essential for my point on this thread. I am simply stating an opinion. You are free to disagree.
That is good. I guess we can agree to disagree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top