Again, I am not a follower of the names above. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. The influences on my life are not men 500 years ago. They are the leaders and elders of the church I attend. You might be surprised to learn that when they refer to the Catholic church at all the references are positive. In general we don’t fret about other denominations. We have a community, county, and world to win for Jesus Christ.
I tend to think you are a follower of Jesus Christ as interpreted by the leaders of your local community just referenced or by yourself. Since neither they nor you are infallible, this is iffy.
I thank you for the concern for my soul, but it is quite saved through the cross of Jesus Christ thank you.
Once saved always saved? Or is there an aspect of process to salvation?
I must be a poor communicator or something, but I believe I have never in this thread argued “Bible Alone” on theological grounds. That is quite deliberate, because it is one of the many theologies out there in both CatholicLand and ProtestantLand that is difficult if not impossible to either prove or to falsify.
I think that was the point of my original post. You can’t prove
sola scriptura from the Bible itself. If you have accepted a doctrine that is so foundational to your theology from a source outside the Bible, then the doctrine itself is refuted. Either that, or you have to question whether that outside source itself is reliable. I’m sure you’d be quick acknowledge that your community is NOT infallible, so I hope you’d be careful enough to consider that the teaching of
sola scriptura itself could very well be one of the issues that they have been most visibly fallible about.
At the same time, your assertions that your magisterium and interpretation of Scripture are equivalent to the Bible are also unproven either way.
This thread is not about that, and I have made no attempts to prove either. I have asked non-Catholics to prove me wrong on the assertion that the Bible does not teach
sola scriptura. I’m not sure anyone has even tried in this thread.
I am not where I am because I am in some great rebellion against the RC denomination. I am where I am because I was not born Catholic and the group responsible for my conversion was not Catholic.
Bingo! You are not Protestant from any considered deliberation, but simply by circumstances…just as I was born into a Protestant family and became Catholic after thinking more deeply.
I am not one of these Christians that changes denominations/churches at a whim of a hat, however.
I can respect and appreciate your doctrinal integrity. Many Protestants change churches whenever they don’t like the music ministry or what have you.
I do have issues when some of you approach me with the implication that the relationship here is “One True Church”—>“Heretic”. When that is the sales pitch I tend to resist, ask stupid questions, look for logical holes, and demand proof. I have observed you exhibit the same behaviour when non-Catholics (see CARM) treat you as non-Christians.
I understand the resistance…no one likes discovering that they have not been given the whole story. But your Protestant forefathers abandoned some aspects of the true faith, and you have not been told of this. For example, do you believe firmly in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary? Why or why not? I’m asking for a reason, so I will look for your response.
On that score, you have been long on polemics and short on proof.
Polemical? Was I polemical back in post #103 when I encouraged you to read the Fathers and ask questions? I thought I was and have been very courteous since you strike me as someone who is at least listening and considering the right questions (unlike so many here). Or is it only polemical when I say something that you don’t want to hear?