Actually, that makes sense. If the Catholic claims of infallibility are true, then every other argument is besides the point. Mary was assumed because Pope Pius said so. Debate over.
Of course it the Catholic claims of infallibility are not true, then it holds to an interpretation of the Bible that can charitably be called “creative” (on some points anyway…maybe not overall)…
Amen to that Mozart! Which is why it is so important that we really test this topic. What if you were to find that Christ really did leave us an infallible Church? What would that mean for your life today? Could you leave the comforts or your church and follow Christ to this Church, even if it meant becoming Catholic? I know I could, because I did. And if I ever found that this Church was not infallible, I would quite possibly be gone tomorrow.
Actually I recall reading (it might have been Clement) where the Catholic can make a good case that apostolic succession was a historical fact.
I see a big difference between authority and infallibility…
Great point! There is a difference. But they are certainly not mutually exclusive. This is a great place to start with the distinction and acknowledgement of a possible succession of the Apostles and infallibility. Are you up for investigating this more?
Protestant denominations have their own versions of magisterium that are authoritative within the scope of the denomination anyway. That does not mean that these magisteriums are incapable of being incorrect…
While this is somewhat true, it is comparing apples and oranges. For starters, most Protestant churches and denominations remain autonomous. Thus, despite getting together and discussing issues of the faith, each Protestant attendee has no obligation to return to their church and teach the things discussed in these “conventions.” Thus, there really is no such thing as a magisterium outside of the RCC.
Secondly, the question of succession again arises here. Where did these denominations receive their authority? Is God the author of chaos, confusion, and disunity? Is God behind the myriad of denominations, or is this man getting in God’s way? Again, Christ prayed for the unity of His Church, not for 30,000+ denominations. So again, if God is not the author disunity, where do all these denominations derive their authority? They can’t all be successors of the Apostles since many of these churches are no more than 100 years old. Nor can they all be successors when they are teaching things in opposition to each other, all claiming that they are teaching the things the Apostles taught. But I do agree that simply claiming authority amongst a particular denomination does not in itself mean infallibility.
When I have read the arguments of Catholic apologists on this topic they all seem to not make one of these distinctions:
- The distinction between being correct and incapable of being wrong.
- The distinction between being authoritative and incapable of being wrong.
I’m not clear which apologists you are referring to, or their arguments. Can you be more specific?
Also, “What you bind on earth, will be bound in Heaven, and what you loose on earth, will be loosed in Heaven” says a lot to me. Do you think Jesus would give the authority to bind untruth in Heaven amongst the faithful? I don’t. This granting of authority makes no sense unless Jesus knew the Apostles would not bind the faithful with error.
It is also troubling that every argument I have heard regarding infallibility could just as easily be made for impeccability. Except for impeccability I can read history and easily disprove it.
I am not sure what you’re saying here. For starters, I disagree that the argument could be used for impeccability, since we know quite well that Peter was not perfect. He struggled in his faith as much or more than any of the Apostles. He denied Christ three times. Paul had to reprimand him for not living up to the doctrine of the Gentiles that he shared from his revelation. Peter was not perfect, or sinless. YET, Peter did not teach error on faith and morals. What Peter said was binding on the faithful, because it was also bound in Heaven. There is a difference.
And while you state the argument could be used for impeccability, wouldn’t this be a non sequitor? Nowhere is it used. Thus, this point is really moot. Hope that makes a little more sense. It seems like we are beginning to understand each other’s positions a little better.