I had a conversation recently with a friend and we were talking about inviting our friends to church and church functions…he made the comment that “not everyone is religious”…and this kind of caught me off-guard. Aren’t we all created in the image of God? Shoudn’t all of us be religious? How do we reach out to those who have no inclination to be religious? I mean, I just can’t accept this statement!
There was a time I wasn’t religious but my parents were.
I passed through a rebellious phase where everytime my dad talked religion, my eyes glazed over and didn’t want to hear it, perhaps because the way it was lectured to me came on too strong.
I felt my parents were encroaching on my independence. I guess, my dad feared that I would leave the Church and convert to another religion. But really, the method reminded me of a military drill, which annoyed rather than inspired me.
I was glad that they eventually, mellowed and changed their tact. They prayed a lot (I guess, in part, for me). Dad would just quietly leave religious books with interesting titles. I remember–one of the books that I really liked was Home Sweet Rome by Scott and Kimberly Hahn.
Eventually, I began to listen (surreptiously). I didn’t want my dad to know that I was getting to understand him and his lectures about our Church.
I began to love God and Church on my own because of my parent’s persistence.
So, to answer the question of the OP about how to reach out to those without the inclination…I have some suggestions:
- Pray for them
I believe that prayers that are done with faith and good intentions are always answered.
- Live out your faith
Be a good example and inspiration to others.
- Be a proud Catholic.
Be knowledgeable about our Church’s teachings and be willing to share it with others.
Hope this helps.