Not Sharing!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sirach_4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirach_4

Guest
The demythologizers (I think that is what you call them, spelling not so sure) deny the supernatural activity of the miracle stories. Some say that the “real” miracle of the multiplication of the loaves & fish was not actual multiplication but sharing i.e. Jesus got the people to share. I am not buying that interpretation. I have no problem accepting God, possessing infinite power to create from nothing, multiplying food. Like St. Ambrose taught, if He can create the sun from nothing why would He have trouble changing bread & wine into His Body & Blood.
Is there support in the text against the “sharing” interpretation? My first thoughts are:
-If they were just sharing they wouldn’t have all been “satisfied”
-If it was just sharing there wouldn’t have been any left over
 
The demythologizers (I think that is what you call them, spelling not so sure) deny the supernatural activity of the miracle stories. Some say that the “real” miracle of the multiplication of the loaves & fish was not actual multiplication but sharing i.e. Jesus got the people to share. I am not buying that interpretation. I have no problem accepting God, possessing infinite power to create from nothing, multiplying food. Like St. Ambrose taught, if He can create the sun from nothing why would He have trouble changing bread & wine into His Body & Blood.
Is there support in the text against the “sharing” interpretation? My first thoughts are:
-If they were just sharing they wouldn’t have all been “satisfied”
-If it was just sharing there wouldn’t have been any left over
I hear you! Here are two articles from ThisRock magazine addressing the wrongheadedness of such a proposition:

catholic.com/thisrock/1996/9604fea1.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0801fea4.asp
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top