Not sure about this

  • Thread starter Thread starter Petersprincess1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Petersprincess1

Guest
Hi. A couple of years ago I subscribed to the disney channel. It was I think $7.99 a month. I don’t remember. Well a year or so ago I called up to cancel it to reduce my bill. It was removed from my bill but shortly after that I noticed that we still had access to it. I thought that they just made it available to everyone at that time like they have done with other channels. Well I’ve since found out that it’s not for free, they removed it from my bill, but not from my cable box. My kids sometimes watch it. Do I need to call them to tell them again to take it off my cable box? Is it stealing if it’s still there after I’ve asked them to remove it? I’m afraid that I’ve been sinning now all this time.
 
I would call them and tell them exactly that, and let them know that it still comes up even though you aren’t paying for it.
 
The sin is with the Disney Corp. for their attempts to destroy children. Those shows are very obnoxious with young neurotic people in inane sitcoms attempting to act like neurotic, rudderless adults with no moral code-they are not even funny-give me the Marx brothers any day. And Disney calls it “Family?”

The other sin might be with your kids watching programs you don’t want them to watch.

And perhaps with the cable companies for not figuring out how to help us select what we watch.

I had to stop our TV satellite service completely ten years ago when I saw my niece acting out what she was watching on TV. It was especially frightening since she had serious problems to begin with: a drug addict mother and a severe depression. But she had learned how easy it was to override the parental controls on the TV. The kids at school taught her how to pull out the card that erased my programming. She had the honesty to tell me at least but what a surprise to learn how easy it was to do. After that, I only let her watch videos that we chose together. Of course that didn’t stop her if she was with an errant friend, but she has a daughter now and she will remember that someone in her life tried to limit her exposure to garbage; hopefully she will try to do better.

Stop focussing on your perceived sinning and focus more on what your kids are exposed to in the name of entertainment. Focus on teaching your children how to survive without the TV or at least the cable channel. Go online and look at lists of excellent entertainment for children. Learn how to make good choices. Teach them how to create their own entertainment through theater, dance, music. Watch good comedy with them. talk about what makes it funny.

Talk about the " laugh track" on TV which manipulates people into thinking the action is funny…not like the live audience on “I Love Lucy” or “Burns and Allen”. Talk about universal comedy–what makes people laugh everywhere: physical comedy versus stand up comedy (which usually requires a specific targeted audience who speak one language)

We have to be very active, perhaps vigilant, as parents now. We need to be smart and aware and ahead of the game. Feel free to Private Message me if you have any questions. Most of us have learned this stuff the hard way and would like others to not have to go through the same frustrating or awful experiences.
 
Call them and let them know, but a lot of places don’t take it off for months because if what happened was the person was a new tenant, they leave it on as a sample for them in the hopes they’ll get used to it and start to pay for it. At least, that’s what they told us when they left the cable on for 4 months after we cancelled!
 
The other sin might be with your kids watching programs you don’t want them to watch.

Stop focussing on your perceived sinning and focus more on what your kids are exposed to in the name of entertainment. Focus on teaching your children how to survive without the TV or at least the cable channel. Go online and look at lists of excellent entertainment for children. Learn how to make good choices. Teach them how to create their own entertainment through theater, dance, music. Watch good comedy with them. talk about what makes it funny.

.
Thanks for your opinion. It feels like you are being a bit too judgemental. My kids watch Mickey Mouse. They are 3 and 1 years old. Not any of the shows you are referring to.
 
Call them and let them know, but a lot of places don’t take it off for months because if what happened was the person was a new tenant, they leave it on as a sample for them in the hopes they’ll get used to it and start to pay for it. At least, that’s what they told us when they left the cable on for 4 months after we cancelled!
PS: if they choose to leave it on, then it’s not a sin for you (or your children) to watch. Your calling them to remind them that it’s still on would be an act of kindness on your part.

And you might warn your children that it will all go away at some point.
 
PS: if they choose to leave it on, then it’s not a sin for you (or your children) to watch. Your calling them to remind them that it’s still on would be an act of kindness on your part.

And you might warn your children that it will all go away at some point.
Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top