Nuancing the Resurrection

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

CONTROVERSY has arisen in the senior ranks of the Catholic Church in Canberra over claims questioning the resurrection of Jesus.

Contrary to conventional views held by the church, a Catholic priest in Canberra has said he does not believe Christ physically rose from the dead on Easter Sunday.

Instead, those present at the resurrection had experienced the presence of the spirit of Christ.

Archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn Francis Carroll has hit out at the claim, and said some in the church would be “disturbed” by the comments.

“I’m always a little nervous when expert theologians speak about these things,” he said.

“I think some of these nuanced views can be distanced from the simple faithful such as myself.”

Other theologians, including a Charles Sturt University theology professor and a senior lecturer at St Mark’s National Theological Centre, were quoted in an article in The Canberra Times yesterday as concurring with the priest’s views.

However, the Most Reverend Carroll said yesterday that he believed the majority of worshippers in Canberra Catholic Churches today “wouldn’t be fussed” by the comments.

canberratimes.com/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=national&category=general%20news&story_id=381316&y=2005&m=3

Didn’t Jesus rose from the grave three days after his death, so on Easter Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back