Nun's Apparel

• Thread starter Thread starter Xenon-135
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“What an excellent post” I was thinking in the back of my mind as I read. Thank you very much indeed, strgzr"

Being a lay person myself, I guess this leapt out at me " The possibility of a deeper spiritual formation might lead consecrated persons to feel somehow superior to other members of the faithful,". One of the things, one of them, I can really miss re monastic life is that opportunity for a deep spiritual formation on an ongoing and consistent basis and this perhaps is what some in religious life do not appreciate - that most often lay peole simply do not have that ongoing and consistent concentrated formation in spirituality and even theology etc. available to them and with time and even resources set aside for it. It is one of the Graces of their state in life, and therein lies any thanksgiving and glory i.e. to God’s Grace.

Just sheer survival often in the world, and for one only, can take a somewhat major focus and because it is a duty of our state probably, it can bring us God’s Graces and lead to holiness just as any duty of one’s state in life embraced for the Love of God can do so. And this was one of the insights and spiritual genius of St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of The Church - and although a Carmelite nun, she understood that lovingly embracing the duties of her state and no matter how lowly nor content would bring her to holiness not because of the duty itself per se, but because it was God’s Will for her as a religious and Carmelite nun. She regarded attention to this this as an “escalator” carrying to holiness, rather than a “ladder” to climb. She accepted too lovingly and with an embrace God’s Permissive Will in her life expressed, for one, in her difficulty even inability to speak about her spiritual life to her superior. She embraced God;s Permissive Will when her confessor reprimanded her for still being a child spiritually and not to have advanced at all. This is not a passive state, but is another subject.
Therese recognized the universal call to Charity and so she excercised a certain heroism in Charity in her own little Carmelite community as strgzr has pointed out.

There is nothing more superior than God’s Will whatever it may be and is the most superior of all and nothing more holy than to lovingly embrace God’s Will no matter what it may be and to seek Unity with God’s Will and in whatever state of life to which God may call one and always for the good and Life of The Church.

Whatever good comes about in this world, there is no thanksgiving due to the servant, rather all good comes from God. We remain “unprofitable servants” since even the servant who serves well has received the Grace to do so. “All is Grace” (St Therese of Lisieux)
strgzr : There are things one learns in a long and successful marriage which amount to asceticism in marriage, which, I think are at the core of asceticism in religious life: learning to keep your MOUTH SHUT, not to CRITICIZE openly people you don’t like–especially in-laws, not to COMPLAIN about problems without offering constructive solutions, eternal PATIENCE with children and spouses, and DEPRIVATION of many things which include sleep, your own preferences, and money, and keeping a SENSE OF HUMOR at all times.
Very well said indeed - and not only in marraige. The asceticism we may need and Charity calls us to in the workforce for example; in dealing with a difficult neighbour and many other instances in lay life. We can be very sure that no matter our vocation or state in life there is always more than sufficient to exercise asceticism and to lead to holiness - we wont have to look too hard at all and especially if our focus is Charity, Love, in that Spirit which Jesus left with us. The Lord forever provides. His Divine Providence always with us, guiding us and leading to holiness and Unity. To Him all Glory and Thanksgiving for His Goodness everywhere - and gold is wherever one finds it.

TS

I have to begin by saying that I don’t like the term “updated religious community” because it can give the false impression that other communities are “antiquated” or “outdated”, which is not the case. There are simply communities that follow a very ancient tradition and others that have much younger roots.

In any discussion of asceticism we must always remember that there are two dimensions to it and they are not mutually exclusive. There is an internal and an external dimension. They should never exist without the other. The internal dimension is much more of a discipline and the external is much more symbolic with the purpose of reminding us of what she be happening within. Together, these two dimensions of the ascetical life are a powerful aid on the journey to holiness.

In the paragraph from Vita Consacrata, the Holy Father points to some of the struggles of individual religious and, in some cases, entire communities.

**Thus, for example, the legitimate need to be familiar with today’s society in order to respond to its challenges can lead to a surrender to passing fashions, with a consequent lessening of spiritual fervour or a succumbing to discouragement. **

One has to be very careful that in an effort to understand modern mans’ needs, one does not become contaminated by modern man’s weaknesses. In that case, the lifeguard is going down with the drowning victim. Empathy and sympathy are not the same thing. A very good example of this would be Mother Teresa. She understood the people around her, but she protected her identity as a Catholic religious. She lived among the poor, served the poor, was as poor as the people around her, but she did not turn this into a cause or a campaign. This is very easy to do, because one sympathizes with the plight of the poor. One becomes an activist and the apostle gets lost.

** The possibility of a deeper spiritual formation might lead consecrated persons to feel somehow superior to other members of the faithful, **

One has to keep in mind that with great knowledge, there is also greater responsibility. It’s not a status symbol, but a tool to be used for the common good.

**while the urgent need for appropriate and necessary training can turn into a frantic quest for efficiency, as if apostolic service depended primarily on human means rather than on God. **

We see this a lot in religious communities, especially in the USA, Canada and Europe. There is a tendency to be so efficient that God is left out of the picture. I don’t know if it was on this thread or in another, I shared having been at Oxford for a while. I had the privilege of serving with Carmelite Sisters from Spain. One day, the sisters asked me shy the American Sisters appeared to be so aristocratic. I realized that the Spanish sisters were very maternal. They were very nurturing. Even though they were as well educated as our own sisters in the USA, there was a gentleness and relaxed quality about them that was missing from our sisters. Our sisters came across as “business.” They were very efficient and knowledgeable, but they lacked warmth. I wondered if we had not done them some disservice in their formation. It’s good to see so many new communities where the sisters are very relaxed, nurturing, and less focused on doing and more focused on being.

**The praiseworthy desire to become close to the men and women of our day, believers and non-believers, rich and poor, can lead to the adoption of a secularized lifestyle or the promotion of human values in a merely horizontal direction. **

This is so true. I believe that this is what got some sisters into trouble on issues such as abortion, birth control, homosexuality, and women’s issues. My father was in the diplomatic corps during the Iran Hostage Crisis. He said that the captives begin to sympathize with their captors. At some point, the mind ceases to fight. I wonder if this happens to those who work among people who struggle with these issues.

Sharing in the legitimate aspirations of one’s own nation or culture could lead to embracing forms of nationalism or accepting customs which instead need to be purified and elevated in the light of the Gospel.

Again, there is great truth here too. I believe that men like Francis, who lived in a time where kingdoms were in constant conflicts that often set families against each other, had a good understanding of this. This is why he writes in his admonitions that the brothers are never to pledge allegiance to any nation or bear arms for any nation. His vision of patriotism was to elevate the state of affairs, not lend support to the status quo.
The practices of the new Franciscans today, so ascetic by today’s standards, were in fact much closer to to those experienced in the 13th century, when most people were lucky to have one meal a day, everyone wore sandals, if they more shoes at all, didn’t wash much, and had only one outfit, if they were adequately clothed at all.
Actually, this was the reality of the poor. Francis was not a member of that social class. He was a soldier, Crusader and the son of the wealthiest merchant in the city. His brothers and sisters came from among the wealthy. The lived among the poorest of the poor, worked as they did, and therefore, only had access to the same resources as the poor. What made them very different from the poor was that they embraced what the poor hated. Their way of life was to emulate the passion of Christ. They vowed to obey whatever they were commanded to do in order to be as free as Christ was and in order to experience in their own life what Christ experienced from Holy Thursday to Good Friday.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂

Good comments, too, I thought, Brother. One thing that does come across clearly is that religious life and the call of the laity are different in the duties to which they are called. And while they are different, it is the One God who calls with different duties for each vocation and for the good and Life of The Church. We need to have a firm grip on our particular vocation, to understand it, insofar as we may be able - and here too spiritual direction is invaluable. We are going to grow and journey in and with that vocation in many ways if we remain faithful to our call from God and that is the universal call to holiness to all the baptized and in a particular role or vocation in life. It can be a smooth ride, it can be a bumpy ride or a bit or a lot of both.

A couple of things did leap out at me:

One has to be very careful that in an effort to understand modern mans’ needs, one does not become contaminated by modern man’s weaknesses. In that case, the lifeguard is going down with the drowning victim. Empathy and sympathy are not the same thing. A very good example of this would be Mother Teresa. She understood the people around her, but she protected her identity as a Catholic religious

Just as lay people are called to understand and to protect their identity as laity. These vocations are complementary ideally each recognzing and valuing the unique identity of their other and, again, for the good of and the Life of The Church. We need to appreciate and really value each other. Some lay people may be called to a Third Order etc. etc., and they need to insight too what this calling may mean in accord with their rules and regulations as a Third Order member or to whatever Institute or Order they may belong etc. We need to insight and understand our vocation insofar as we are able.

One has to keep in mind that with great knowledge, there is also greater responsibility. It’s not a status symbol, but a tool to be used for the common good.

Well said I thought. We are all stewards of God’s Graces and the more Grace, the more the responsibility and accountability and no matter our state in life or vocation. Spiritual direction is absolute gold and good director a real treasure. We need to identify our strengths or Graces and to seriously consider how to exercise good stewardship of them in line with our particular vocation. The state of perfection (religious life) is also a call to a most powerful and a humbling witness I think - while the call to perfection and holiness is for all the baptized.

Again, there is great truth here too. I believe that men like Francis, who lived in a time where kingdoms were in constant conflicts that often set families against each other, had a good understanding of this. This is why he writes in his admonitions that the brothers are never to pledge allegiance to any nation or bear arms for any nation. His vision of patriotism was to elevate the state of affairs, not lend support to the status quo

As laity too our call is to bring the Gospel into all our secular affairs and our living, no exceptions. We are meant to be leaven to the world as we bring The Gospel to our world primarily by living it first - or as St. Francis said I believe “preach The Gospe! if you must”. This, to me, reveals keen insight into what really does influence people and that is the type of person we are. We ideally live The Gospel and are a certain kind of person. The Universal Call to Charity and mutual care and concern, Love, at all times and in all places, to all peoples, and the necessity of refraining from supporting, for one, the status quo over and above our Gospel call. We may well need to be ‘boat rockers’ and disturb status quo and simply because we cannot agree with it, nor can we live it - nor with it - not with violence of any kind but by being followers of Christ and in His Spirit revealing the Fruits of His Spirt in us and without compromising truth. . It is a lifelong journey ideally of trust and confidence that The Holy Spirit is indeed at work and we but “unprofitable servants”. “All is Grace:” I thought that Thursday’s Readings puts it well and with a big smile:
usccb.org/nab/120910.shtml
Isaiah Chapter 41
I am the LORD, your God,
who grasp your right hand;
It is I who say to you, “Fear not,
I will help you.”
Fear not, O worm Jacob,
O maggot Israel;
I will help you, says the LORD;

TS

There was something else I knew I wanted to comment on, or I thought there was, but my edit function timed out:

**In any discussion of asceticism we must always remember that there are two dimensions to it and they are not mutually exclusive. There is an internal and an external dimension. **

This is very important always! It is not only what we are doing, but primarily the reason why we are doing whatever we may be doing. “Man judges appearances, but The Lord sees the heart”. St. Therese of Lisieux observed that one can pick up a pin WITH LOVE and save souls. I will sometimes pick up litter on the street and say to myself “our world is littered enough, Lord”. I try to make it a prayer and an act of Love for God and His creation. Picking up a bit of litter on the street sure aint much at all if that, but what The Lord sees is my reason for doing it. Hence sometimes it can be not so much what I am doing, but the reason I am doing whatever I may be doing (the internal and external acts or dimensions as Br.JRe pointed out). Of course, if all that I ever did to exercise myself in ascetic type practises was pick up a bit of litter now and then, I would be remiss in my duty - but it would be at least a start on a good road and I should never sneeze at that! I do not regard asceticism as an end in itself, rather to deny oneself in order to practice virtue. I teach myself to say no to my own desires and to incline me towards acting virtuously in hope.
The Church specifies the minimal ascetic practises, including Fridays as a Day of Penance or self denial - also Lent of course and the hour fast before Holy Communion as a minimal act of reverence for Our Lord’s Body and Blood in The Blessed Eucharist. There may be more.

We are forming a new community for women…The Franciscan Sisters of Jesus Christ… ( sorry no web site yet )…we will be wearing a navy blue habit …white for nursing …i would ask everyone who reads this to spread the word especially if women have been denied because of age , or other issues …we take each on a case by case…we are a monastic/active order and right now at the beginning of an exciting journey that we believe we are being led by the Holy Spirit

We are forming a new community for women…The Franciscan Sisters of Jesus Christ… ( sorry no web site yet )…we will be wearing a navy blue habit …white for nursing …i would ask everyone who reads this to spread the word especially if women have been denied because of age , or other issues …we take each on a case by case…we are a monastic/active order and right now at the beginning of an exciting journey that we believe we are being led by the Holy Spirit
We’d like to know more about this. I have many older discerners on my yahoo groups. Our Stella Maris Contemplatives (Cloisterites) will pray for the success of your venture.
cloisters.tripod.com/cloisterites/

For others reading this thread, here is a link to our Religious Habit group:
groups.yahoo.com/group/thereligioushabit/

Blessings,
Cloisters

Could someone list the various orders of Nuns and what style and/or color of habit they wear?

I was wondering what order it was that the TV Show “The Flying Nun” starring Sally Fields, was addressing.
Sally Fields was the “Order of Hollywood” as we call it on the habit list.

Black veils indicate final profession of vows.

Franciscans & Carmelites: brown. Carmelites have a cream cappa.

Benedictines: black

Dominicans: white with black cappa

Perpetual adoration nuns of various charisms: white with red scapular

Hope: green

Joy: pink

Precious Blood or Holy Ghost: red

Sorrows or penance: black

Our Lady: blue

Our Lord: (usually) red

Purity: white

HTH

Blessings,