P
PoorKnight
Guest
Hey all,
Just heard a guy on a Protestant radio show making false statements about Catholicism (what’s new?).
But one thing caught my attention was the obelisk in St. Peter’s sqaure. According to this guy it was moved there from Egypt by the Catholic Church as a sign that we were merging with paganism. Now I know that’s not the case. But I had heard that it was moved from the Coloseum to St. Peter’s square because 1) it was the last thing so many martyrs would have see, including St. Peter and 2) as a sign that we had defeated the Roman Empire by martyrdom and not by war.
I know I could go on an explaination of “just because the pagans used it, doesn’t mean we can’t too”, but I’m curious about the history and reason the obelisk was moved to St. Peter’s square and put in the center.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Poor Knight for Christ and His Church
Just heard a guy on a Protestant radio show making false statements about Catholicism (what’s new?).
But one thing caught my attention was the obelisk in St. Peter’s sqaure. According to this guy it was moved there from Egypt by the Catholic Church as a sign that we were merging with paganism. Now I know that’s not the case. But I had heard that it was moved from the Coloseum to St. Peter’s square because 1) it was the last thing so many martyrs would have see, including St. Peter and 2) as a sign that we had defeated the Roman Empire by martyrdom and not by war.
I know I could go on an explaination of “just because the pagans used it, doesn’t mean we can’t too”, but I’m curious about the history and reason the obelisk was moved to St. Peter’s square and put in the center.
Thanks,
God Bless,

Poor Knight for Christ and His Church