M
mosher
Guest
Ok, so here is the deal.
While it is rare the wearing of the black zucchetto is permitted to clergy since it has not been formally abrogated, suppressed, or otherwise done away with in any document of which I am aware. In fact, all my research point to it being permitted. So, there is no problem for its use in regular wear. However, the question can be raised about its legitimate use in the liturgy.
Now, since there is no instruction about the use of the black zucchetto in the current rubrics then one would naturally have recourse to the previous rubrics concerning the practice. Now, the previous practice that I have been able to find only references those who are serving at the altar and that instruction states that it is to be left in the Sacristy. However, I can’t find any instruction for those attending Mass or the Divine Office in choir or otherwise. This would lead me to believe that the rule would be to follow the current Pontifical concerning the use of the zucchetto while in attendance but I am unsure.
Can any of the liturgical geniuses on this forum help me figure out this particular dilemma?
While it is rare the wearing of the black zucchetto is permitted to clergy since it has not been formally abrogated, suppressed, or otherwise done away with in any document of which I am aware. In fact, all my research point to it being permitted. So, there is no problem for its use in regular wear. However, the question can be raised about its legitimate use in the liturgy.
Now, since there is no instruction about the use of the black zucchetto in the current rubrics then one would naturally have recourse to the previous rubrics concerning the practice. Now, the previous practice that I have been able to find only references those who are serving at the altar and that instruction states that it is to be left in the Sacristy. However, I can’t find any instruction for those attending Mass or the Divine Office in choir or otherwise. This would lead me to believe that the rule would be to follow the current Pontifical concerning the use of the zucchetto while in attendance but I am unsure.
Can any of the liturgical geniuses on this forum help me figure out this particular dilemma?