OCD, intrusive thoughts, mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Naath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Naath

Guest
Hi
I am suffering from intrusive ocd thoughts.
I chose a confessor as they say scrupulous people should have one confessor.
But sexual intrusive thoughts about this confessor pop in my mind just because I should not have them.
He is old and I do not find him attractive. I would never have these thoughts if my mind was healthy.

Many bad intrusive thoughts that I do not agree with just pop in my mind all the time.

Do I need to change confessor again?
Would it be a mortal sin to continue with this confessor (because I am putting myself to temptation)?
I do not know whether these crazy thoughts can even be called ‘‘temptation’’ since I hate them and I will not consent anyway.
 
Last edited:
Hi
I am suffering from intrusive ocd thoughts.
I chose a confessor as they say scrupulous people should have one confessor.
But sexual intrusive thoughts about this confessor pop in my mind just because I should not have them.
He is old and I do not find him attractive. I would never have these thoughts if my mind was healthy.

Many bad intrusive thoughts that I do not agree with just pop in my mind all the time.

Do I need to change confessor again?
Would it be a mortal sin to continue with this confessor (because I am putting myself to temptation)?
I do not know whether these crazy thoughts can even be called ‘‘temptation’’ since I hate them and I will not consent anyway.
We cannot help you with this. Intrusive thoughts and scruples are far beyond what we can do here. Find someone you trust and can talk to, be it your confessor or a therapist.

@edward_george1
 
I do not agree with
Sin requires the will to act. Full consent for mortal and partial consent at least for venial. So concerning mortal sin, remember that it will not be the result of thoughts that you cannot control because those are not voluntary, and you have said you do not agree with them (having them displeases you) – but with intrusive thoughts it may not be possible to banish them, although it is attempted, the will is against them.

Baltimore Catechism
Q. 1318. Are impure thoughts and desires always sins?
A. Impure thoughts and desires are always sins, unless they displease us and we try to banish them.
 
Please seek help from a mental health professional for your OCD and intrusive thoughts.
 
yes, but isnt putting yourself up to temptation also a sin?
If I change confessor, maybe these intrusive thoughts will go away, or maybe they will continue with the next confessor.
So, I do not know whether I should change confessor or not. :confused:
 
yes, but isnt putting yourself up to temptation also a sin?
If I change confessor, maybe these intrusive thoughts will go away, or maybe they will continue with the next confessor.
So, I do not know whether I should change confessor or not. :confused:
Ask your confessor. You probably can’t say anything that will shock him.

Seriously, we can’t do anything for you here but tell you to get in-person help.
 
That’s the OCD talking. Stick with your confessor and seek professional help. Internet forums are not the place to seek help.

Thread flagged for moderation, and I would encourage others to commend our friend to prayer and to stop replying, as that will not help.

-Fr ACEGC
 
how am I going to ask him “hey I have intrusive impure thoughts about my confessor”??
also it will put him in near occasion of sin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top