Ocd problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter roseproject
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roseproject

Guest
I often find it hard to pray because I often find it hard to distinguish between God and my own thoughts. I often have scrupulous thoughts, discouraging thoughts, etc. Thoughts that sometimes contradict each other. Sometimes, I feel the urge to do one thing, then I get thoughts that I should do this other thing, think this other way, etc. It’s hard to distinguish between my own thoughts and God’s voice speaking to me. I have tried to rely less on “hearing God”, but when I try to just be silent before Him, often times thoughts enter my mind regardless, telling me to think this way or that way, give up this dream, pursue this dream, become a nun, get married, love God’s creation, be completely indifferent towards the world, etc. etc. ETC.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance :o
 
Here’s a book that talks about prayer, and even quite a bit about distractions in prayer. It has imprimatur and nihil obstat, and is being used in seminaries for some intro prayer classes. It’s easy to read, and you may find out your distracting thoughts may not be so unusual and as it turns out, not harming your prayer.

And it has a “look inside” preview at amazon:

Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative PrayerApr 1, 2001
by Mark E. Thibodeaux S.J.
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.
 
I often find it hard to pray because I often find it hard to distinguish between God and my own thoughts. I often have scrupulous thoughts, discouraging thoughts, etc. Thoughts that sometimes contradict each other. Sometimes, I feel the urge to do one thing, then I get thoughts that I should do this other thing, think this other way, etc. It’s hard to distinguish between my own thoughts and God’s voice speaking to me. I have tried to rely less on “hearing God”, but when I try to just be silent before Him, often times thoughts enter my mind regardless, telling me to think this way or that way, give up this dream, pursue this dream, become a nun, get married, love God’s creation, be completely indifferent towards the world, etc. etc. ETC.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance :o
I suggest you speak to your Priest about how to distinguish your thoughts from God. I would also suggest that you see a Spiritual Guidance Counsellor, who may be able to help you further.

Also, when you feel this way…breathe! These decisions take time to make, so don’t worry if you feel confused 🙂

Lou
 
I often find it hard to pray because I often find it hard to distinguish between God and my own thoughts. I often have scrupulous thoughts, discouraging thoughts, etc. Thoughts that sometimes contradict each other. Sometimes, I feel the urge to do one thing, then I get thoughts that I should do this other thing, think this other way, etc. It’s hard to distinguish between my own thoughts and God’s voice speaking to me. I have tried to rely less on “hearing God”, but when I try to just be silent before Him, often times thoughts enter my mind regardless, telling me to think this way or that way, give up this dream, pursue this dream, become a nun, get married, love God’s creation, be completely indifferent towards the world, etc. etc. ETC.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance :o
I have this too. What I learned was that I should never place too much trust in my inner voices, but allow God to speak from my heart. It’s like I need to be experiencing God before I can discern which inner voices to focus on in a given situation.

I also found that I was better able to tune inner voices out by engaging in Contemplative Prayer.
 
Hi Rose,

I would also recommend that you talk to your pastor/parish priest for help in discerning what are your own thoughts, and how God is speaking to you.

You have also indicated in your post that you have a tendency towards scrupulosity. It would probably help you if you had a Spiritual Director, too. A Spiritual Director helps us with our spiritual life.
 
This is not really OCD, so be glad that you do not have this disease 🙂
 
This is not really OCD, so be glad that you do not have this disease 🙂
I have been diagnosed with ocd actually. Sometimes, such thoughts tend to make me feel obsessive and anxious like, I have to obey them or else God will be disappointed in me or something (even though this is most likely nonsense)…but seeing as these thoughts contradict each other, they are obviously not coming from the same source. I also tend towards a lot of the outward signs of ocd like checking things, germaphobic tendencies when I feel more anxious and the like.
 
I often find it hard to pray because I often find it hard to distinguish between God and my own thoughts. I often have scrupulous thoughts, discouraging thoughts, etc. Thoughts that sometimes contradict each other. Sometimes, I feel the urge to do one thing, then I get thoughts that I should do this other thing, think this other way, etc. It’s hard to distinguish between my own thoughts and God’s voice speaking to me. I have tried to rely less on “hearing God”, but when I try to just be silent before Him, often times thoughts enter my mind regardless, telling me to think this way or that way, give up this dream, pursue this dream, become a nun, get married, love God’s creation, be completely indifferent towards the world, etc. etc. ETC.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance :o
I also suffer from scrupulously and have OCD. Something that helps me discern where the voices are coming from (my troubled mind or God) is to judge their fruit. There are fruits of the Holy Spirit found in one of St. Paul’s letters. You can judge if it is most likely from God if it produces one or more of the fruits of the spirit in your life. If it’s your OCD it will produce the opposite of what the Holy Spirit gives. Let me go look it up so I can explain it better.
 
Ok I’m back. St Paul tells us to test the spirits by the fruits they produce. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are: (Galatians 5:22-23) love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. So test your thoughts against this list of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. If the thoughts produce these fruits in your life they are from God. If not they are your OCD. Hope this makes some sense it has really helped me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top