D
DakiniArtist
Guest
Dumb question. I don’t quite understand the concept of “offering up” sorrow and struggles.
What does it mean?
Thanks!
What does it mean?
Thanks!
There is already a thread here about that very subject. I hope it helps.Dumb question. I don’t quite understand the concept of “offering up” sorrow and struggles.
What does it mean?
Thanks!
I usually visualize my taking my sufferings, and joining them to Our Lord on the cross. Then I ask the conversion of whomever is suffering from temptations to anything similar–or whatever He needs at the moment. One of the saints said this was effective for helping convert souls who were being tempted at that moment.Dumb question. I don’t quite understand the concept of “offering up” sorrow and struggles.
What does it mean?
Thanks!
Spend enough time with Catholics, and you will hear the phrase, “Offer it up.” The phrase is typically heard as a reply to a list of personal woes. So what does this phrase mean? We are priests of God by our baptism.54 We are not ministerial priests, who offer up the sacrifice of Christ upon the altar at holy Mass. But, as non-ministerial priests, we do offer something to God: our bodies, our actions, our labor, and even our sufferings…
Extracted from the following article, which I recommend you read in its entirety: calledtocommunion.com/2009/08/a-catholic-reflection-on-the-meaning-of-suffering/We offer up our lives and our sufferings formally, in the Mass, by consciously offering ourselves up with our sufferings, along with Christ to God the Father during the Offertory. Informally, we “offer it up” simply by asking God, in the midst of our suffering, to join our suffering to Christ’s, and to use our suffering.
I dont get it eitherGreat minds think alike!! I just asked the same thing a week or so ago (the thread above). I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it, despite the helpful replies.
I keep trying but I don’t really get it. Since Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice, I don’t understand how a small sacrifice on my part can be used for venial sins, purgatory, special intentions, etc. I don’t know WHY it’s such a difficult concept for me to grasp, but it is.![]()
It isn’t so much the sacrifice on your part, since you and I are finite creatures. It’s not like your being in pain has some sort of supernatural merit.Great minds think alike!! I just asked the same thing a week or so ago (the thread above). I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it, despite the helpful replies.
I keep trying but I don’t really get it. Since Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice, I don’t understand how a small sacrifice on my part can be used for venial sins, purgatory, special intentions, etc. I don’t know WHY it’s such a difficult concept for me to grasp, but it is.![]()
To me, to “offer up” something is a token of my love for God. My way of showing Him that I love Him and want to please Him, Whenever I do offer up something, what ever it is, I tell God, “This is for You Lord”!Dumb question. I don’t quite understand the concept of “offering up” sorrow and struggles.
What does it mean?
Thanks!