You are of course, free to assume anything you like–and you probably will continue to make assumptions based on ignorance.
You must be confusing my posts with others. Readily admitting my ignorance of canon law, I’ve made no assumptions and rather have encouraged all to “stay tuned” unitl the experts render a verdict. I suspect non-experts (those weghing in with verdicts without canon law credentials) to be ignorant that they are ignorant.
This isn’t about “winning.” It’s about what the canon law of the Church says.
A bit emotional here. We all win when the process plays out. I suspect we will not be privy to correspondence between CDWDS and the bishops. However, if we see the bishop’s reverse their policies or are excommunicated, we can infer the Holy See’s decision. Once again, stay tuned.
I read Fr McNamara’s article It is well written and well thought out. However, he was answering a question which described 2 different licit options for celebrating Mass, and you are attempting to apply his resonse to a question dealing with denying members of Christ’s faithful the exercise of a right which the Church has clearly defined. I do hope you are able to see the difference because it is a very significant difference.
.
Once again, my agitated friend, I am not drawing any conclusions but suggesting there is room for alternate opinions in the hopes that the “dogmatists” in his thread will merely pause on dictating what is mere opinion as fact regarding the the scope of the bishop’s authority when in his judgement, his flock is at risk.
The issue of denying Communion in the hand is not one of choosing between 2 equal licit options–even though it may appear to be that on the surface. The issue is one of suspending a right of every Catholic (who is also eligible to receive).
Don’t you mean “denying Communion on the tongue,” not “hand”? However, everyone receives Communion on the tongue; that’s not the issue. The issue is whose hand places the Eucharist on one’s tongue.
The canon law of the Church trumps your own personal opinion, especially given the fact that you have provided absolutely no basis to justify that personal opinion.
Once again, I encourage you to read my posts. I have stated no personal opinion other than proposing patience. Your opinions notwithstanding, when teaching authorities disagree, a good lay Catholic may take the temporary position of ignorance, taking neihter side and await the resolution of the disagreement. However, would a secular priest who has taken a vow of obedience to his bishop be required to withhold COTT if his bishop so ordered?
Cite the canon that supports your position and I will take your posts more seriously.
I am not a canon lawyer. I believe it is you who is practicing without a license(?) Since apparently my posts have upset you, I suggest you stop reading them.
'till then I’ll wait to hear from someone who actually knows what he’s talking about,and understands both the issue at hand, and the canon law of the Church, rather than presenting personal opinions based on ignorance of the law.
Ah, at last we agree! Why didn’t you start with this as your position. You’d have saved me a lot of typing.