Official: Zarqawi Eludes Capture; Computer Discovered

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The US says that Zarqawi was being chased in a truck and jumped out of the moving vehicle as it went under an overpass. Isn’t this the same guy who had his leg amputated?

40.png
Thekla:
The US says that Zarqawi was being chased in a truck and jumped out of the moving vehicle as it went under an overpass. Isn’t this the same guy who had his leg amputated?
There is a lot of evidence that this amputation never occurred and was an excuse for him finding excile in Iraq under Saddam.

I feel it’s a matter of time before he is caught. He really better hope he’s caught by coalition forces rather than angry Iraqis. Imagine had Saddam been caught by some Kurds.

Lisa N

The US government said that that was how he got to Iraq and that the leg was amputated by Iraqi doctors in Baghdad. I mean, how many Jordanians would have had their leg amputated in Baghdad pre-invasion? It seems that if you are looking for someone, telling people how many legs they have is important.

40.png
Thekla:
The US government said that that was how he got to Iraq and that the leg was amputated by Iraqi doctors in Baghdad. .
Not sure about the US government saying anything about an amputation, but there was a story about him being hospitalized by Saddam for a leg problem. I don’t know where you are getting the amputation claim.

I found this…

“Senior U.S. officials told CNN on Tuesday that they now believe fugitive terrorism suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi did not have a leg amputated in Iraq, as the Bush administration had previously said.”

“Although the administration pointed to Iraq’s medical assistance to al-Zarqawi as evidence of a link between al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein’s regime, it’s now believed that al-Zarqawi still has both legs.”

and this
“Before the invasion, U.S. intelligence reports suggested Zarqawi had his leg amputated in a Baghdad hospital after being wounded fighting American forces in Afghanistan. The allegation was part of Secretary of State Colin Powell’s presentation to the U.N. Security Council in February 2003, laying out the U.S. case for war.”

cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/15/bush.alqaeda/

40.png
Thekla:
I found this…

“Senior U.S. officials told CNN on Tuesday that they now believe fugitive terrorism suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi did not have a leg amputated in Iraq, as the Bush administration had previously said.”

“Although the administration pointed to Iraq’s medical assistance to al-Zarqawi as evidence of a link between al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein’s regime, it’s now believed that al-Zarqawi still has both legs.”

and this
“Before the invasion, U.S. intelligence reports suggested Zarqawi had his leg amputated in a Baghdad hospital after being wounded fighting American forces in Afghanistan. The allegation was part of Secretary of State Colin Powell’s presentation to the U.N. Security Council in February 2003, laying out the U.S. case for war.”

cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/15/bush.alqaeda/
Again, CNN has it wrong. Colin Powell said nothing about an amputated leg. Here is his speech: whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/02/20030205-1.html

I really get irritated when CNN and the MSM make things up, pass the gossip around to each other, then report it as fact. This may be a small part in the history of this war, but these small items mount up.

“He traveled to Baghdad in May 2002 for medical treatment, staying in the capital of Iraq for two months while he recuperated to fight another day.”

You are right that he did not say “leg amputated” but everyone knew what he meant.

Poor Colin Powell.

Thekla said:
“He traveled to Baghdad in May 2002 for medical treatment, staying in the capital of Iraq for two months while he recuperated to fight another day.”

You are right that he did not say “leg amputated” but everyone knew what he meant.

Well, I for one didn’t know he meant leg amputated, since he didn’t say a leg was amputated and no one else who was reliable did either.

Let’s at least try to stay historical here.

The government uses them and they use the government. Was Powell supposed to be refering to Zarqawi having his teeth cleaned in Baghdad?

Fox News /NY Post
May 12, 2004
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119700,00.html

In 1999, after being released from jail in Jordan, Zarqawi formed an alliance with bin Laden allowing Zarqawi to operate a training camp in Afghanistan for Arab fighters committed to the overthrow of Jordan’s moderate monarchy.

During the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, Zarqawi is believed to have been badly wounded in a U.S. airstrike and fled to Iran. Later, he ended up in Baghdad, where Saddam’s regime allowed him to recuperate for several months after having his leg amputated.

40.png
Thekla:
During the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, Zarqawi is believed to have been badly wounded in a U.S. airstrike and fled to Iran. Later, he ended up in Baghdad, where Saddam’s regime allowed him to recuperate for several months after having his leg amputated.
This is how a rumor is reported without any evidence of fact.

Likely they have departments putting out propaganda and disinformation. If they are feeding lies to the American people via the media and we keep falling for it, who’s to blame? All of us, but the people most of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back