D
damooster
Guest
I went to Mass at my usually very reverent home parish today. But that quickly changed when the pastor of the parish, who was not the celebrant, took over the homily and talked about “Commitment Sunday.” It’s a thing the parish does every year where everyone signs a pledge card stating that they are going to donate a certain amount of money for the upcoming year.
Father had one person from every household raise their hand so that an usher could come by and give us an envelope. Inside the envelope was a pledge card and a pen, and Father gave us instructions on how to fill it out. When we were all done, he had the ushers collect the envelopes. While they were collecting envelopes, Father gave a short homily on the Gospel reading, but it only lasted about 2 minutes (the amount of time it took for the ushers to collect the envelopes).
Since he technically gave a homily, was he justified in interrupting the Mass to have us fill out pledge cards? I want to (charitably) voice my concern over such a practice, but I want to have some documents that I can cite showing that such interruptions should not happen.
Any ideas?
Father had one person from every household raise their hand so that an usher could come by and give us an envelope. Inside the envelope was a pledge card and a pen, and Father gave us instructions on how to fill it out. When we were all done, he had the ushers collect the envelopes. While they were collecting envelopes, Father gave a short homily on the Gospel reading, but it only lasted about 2 minutes (the amount of time it took for the ushers to collect the envelopes).
Since he technically gave a homily, was he justified in interrupting the Mass to have us fill out pledge cards? I want to (charitably) voice my concern over such a practice, but I want to have some documents that I can cite showing that such interruptions should not happen.
Any ideas?