OK, I Am Confused. Do Mormons Believe In The Trinity?

• Thread starter Thread starter deb1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It strikes me as rather odd that 3 LDS would hold a discussion about the finer points of LDS doctrine on a Catholic board, isn’t there some nice LDS board for this??🤷
Well, yes…

Two things, however:

First, This is “non-Catholic religions” a subforum of the Catholic Answers Forum specifically dedicated to the discussion of non-Catholic religions.

Second, the topic was brought up by a Catholic, asking a question. Are you telling me that if a Catholic asks a question about Mormonism in a place devoted to the discussion of non-Catholic religions, that only Catholics can answer it?

Isn’t that like going to a community ecumenical event, asking a question about Catholicism–and allowing everybody BUT a priest to answer it?

I mean, you’d have a point, if this were the ‘ask an apologist’ forum, but it isn’t. By the way, I have way too much respect for those folks who are answering questions on the ‘ask an apologist’ forum to believe that they would touch such a question with a ten-foot keyboard. They would refer you to THIS forum, I imagine, with firm courtesy, since THIS is the place to a: discuss non-Catholic religions and b: where you might actually find a Mormon to answer it.

I have them on ignore. And I am no longer even curious. Same old same old. :juggle:
You are not curious about the omnipotence, omniscience, and perfection of Jesus Christ? That is what we are discussing. We really haven’t touched except lightly on anything extra-Biblical–and when we have it is only in the most obscure of references.

Personally, I don’t blame most of you for being uninterested. I usually skip of these kind of tangential side conversations myself. This one intrigued me based on subject matter.

No, they do not claim to believe in the trinity of Christianity. BUT they claim to believe in A trinity defined by the Mormon Church. My point is: 35 years ago, Mormons did not claim to believe in anything called a’ trinity.’ I agree with you, I don’t think the Mormon understand of God has changed, just a desired to believe in A trinity.

The name of that is equivocation, & to equivocate knowingly while leaving others ignorant that one is so doing is not the action of an honest person 😦

Well, yes…

Two things, however:

First, This is “non-Catholic religions” a subforum of the Catholic Answers Forum specifically dedicated to the discussion of non-Catholic religions.
Second, the topic was brought up by a Catholic, asking a question. Are you telling me that if a Catholic asks a question about Mormonism in a place devoted to the discussion of non-Catholic religions, that only Catholics can answer it?

Isn’t that like going to a community ecumenical event, asking a question about Catholicism–and allowing everybody BUT a priest to answer it?

I mean, you’d have a point, if this were the ‘ask an apologist’ forum, but it isn’t. By the way, I have way too much respect for those folks who are answering questions on the ‘ask an apologist’ forum to believe that they would touch such a question with a ten-foot keyboard. They would refer you to THIS forum, I imagine, with firm courtesy, since THIS is the place to a: discuss non-Catholic religions and b: where you might actually find a Mormon to answer it.

They would refer you to THIS forum, I imagine, with firm courtesy, since THIS is the place to a: discuss non-Catholic religions and b: where you might actually find a Mormon to answer it.
You must have been truly impressed by my response to quote it wholesale–with no comment of your own…😉

You must have been truly impressed by my response to quote it wholesale–with no comment of your own…😉
Aarrgh I submitted by accident then edited it but you only have 20 minutes, should be enough time except for getting the 4 grade schoolers ready. So it wouldn’t let me edit and I didn’t feel like replying after that.

The non-Catholic board is for “comparing and contrasting” I interpret that to be comparing religions not discussing points in one religion. It would seem an LDS site would be a better place to discuss the finer points. That’s what I would do and of course everyone should do things the way I do them;)

As to not allowing someone to answer the OP the thread is 900 posts long if the question hasn’t been answered by now:shrug: and their discussion wasn’t really directed at the OP’s question anyway.

And it’s more like attending an ecumenical event and sitting off in the corner discussing your own religion with fellow practitioners. On the MAAD board I don’t generally see the Catholics or Evangelicals hold discussions among themselves, they’re usually engaged with the LDS board members.

Aarrgh I submitted by accident then edited it but you only have 20 minutes, should be enough time except for getting the 4 grade schoolers ready. So it wouldn’t let me edit and I didn’t feel like replying after that.

The non-Catholic board is for “comparing and contrasting” I interpret that to be comparing religions not discussing points in one religion. It would seem an LDS site would be a better place to discuss the finer points. That’s what I would do and of course everyone should do things the way I do them;)

As to not allowing someone to answer the OP the thread is 900 posts long if the question hasn’t been answered by now:shrug: and their discussion wasn’t really directed at the OP’s question anyway.

And it’s more like attending an ecumenical event and sitting off in the corner discussing your own religion with fellow practitioners. On the MAAD board I don’t generally see the Catholics or Evangelicals hold discussions among themselves, they’re usually engaged with the LDS board members.
Well, that’s about the way it works in here…the Mormons are defending the faith in debate with others.

Zaffiro,
I appreciated your post above. I suppose I should explain that I don’t visit other sites, and have posted here for a much longer period of time than I ever had thought I would. I thought that the questions about when during His life Jesus “became” omniscient and omnipotent were very germaine to the topic of how the LDS view God the Father and God the Son and their relationship. Sorry the discussion rubbed people the wrong way, or words to that effect. I didn’t mean to upset anyone, or monopolize the thread. Peace, all.

No, they do not claim to believe in the trinity of Christianity. BUT they claim to believe in A trinity defined by the Mormon Church. My point is: 35 years ago, Mormons did not claim to believe in anything called a’ trinity.’ I agree with you, I don’t think the Mormon understand of God has changed, just a desired to believe in A trinity.
Using words like “trinity”, even with a radically different definition, makes it easier for Mormons to masquerade as Christians to deceive the unwary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back