Okay, so I rented it

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian_C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unshakeable faith, gimme a break.
Are you not certain Jesus is the Son of God? God Incarnate?

I am…

:bowdown:

I don’t devote my 12-1am Tuesday morning to aimless starring at a cracker. That’s Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. I don’t devote those hrs of helping with RCIA, or that Sunday morning, or any of those other odd hrs. during the week to something I don’t believe in fully.

I wasn’t aware you were able to see something else in my heart.
For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye?
 
Not even St. Peter’s faith was unshakeable!
I’m referring to unshakable faith in the truth of Jesus as expressed in the creeds. Has my belief always been this way? No. But, it is now.

Good grief…let’s go on tangents shall we. ** No one is even responding to my original post**…just trying to showcase their debating skills…😦
 
Good grief…let’s go on tangents shall we. ** No one is even responding to my original post**…just trying to showcase their debating skills…😦
Friends, Romans, countrymen! We are doing nothing of the sort.

Was there something in your post we were supposed to respond to? 🙂
 
Friends, Romans, countrymen! We are doing nothing of the sort.

Was there something in your post we were supposed to respond to? 🙂
I was the OP and was asking if it were a good idea to contribute to the Church the same amount of money I paid to rent that silly movie. Or if there were some other way to make lemonade from lemons…or in this case, rotten tomatoes.😃
 
In my humble opinion is all comes down to why you are watching the movie and what you intend on doing afterwards. If you are watching this for purely entertainment than it would be a sin since you know it is wrong and you are giving money to a very anti-Catholic cause. If you are going to watch this to refrute it to others and teach them what is right than I don’t believe it is a sin. Also giving extra money to the Church is a great idea. 👍
 
In my humble opinion is all comes down to why you are watching the movie and what you intend on doing afterwards. If you are watching this for purely entertainment than it would be a sin since you know it is wrong and you are giving money to a very anti-Catholic cause. If you are going to watch this to refrute it to others and teach them what is right than I don’t believe it is a sin. Also giving extra money to the Church is a great idea. 👍
Well, maybe a tad entertainment but mainly to get an idea as to exactly which heresies it attempts to perpetuate. I get a big kick out of watching all those supposed historians and archaeologists on the history channel and national geographic talking about “the REAL Jesus.”:rolleyes: Next week the “REAL Jesus” will probably be discovered to have been strongly in favor of homosexual marriage according to the latest Gnostic text.:rolleyes:
 
Okay, so the movie was silly. 😃

Not even much to debunk…A few silly references to Constantine and the Council of Nicaea…then a bunch of imaginary nonsense lifted from Holy Blood, Holy Grail…

If people fall for this stuff, it’s our own fault for not evangelizing better.
 
Not even St. Peter’s faith was unshakeable!
Please get over yourself!!!
I understood BrianC’s point to be that he is educated and that a movie premise as ridiculous as Dan Brown’s was not going to “shake him up” and turn him against his beliefs. I do not believe he was saying the absolute that you are suggesting. You are not trying to understand what the OP is asking in a generous way! AND you are off topic of the original post in my opinion. So obviously you believe in “unshakeable faith” and thus have had your own doubts… why don’t you start a thread on that topic instead of berating BrianC and going off topic on this thread?
 
Well, maybe a tad entertainment but mainly to get an idea as to exactly which heresies it attempts to perpetuate. I get a big kick out of watching all those supposed historians and archaeologists on the history channel and national geographic talking about “the REAL Jesus.”:rolleyes: Next week the “REAL Jesus” will probably be discovered to have been strongly in favor of homosexual marriage according to the latest Gnostic text.:rolleyes:
The media always seems to pick the “academics” who are off kilter… sensationalism/controversial = $$$$$$$$$$$
sad, but true… so btw, are you planning on leaving the Church (or starting a new sect) due to watching this movie?
Just want to alieve any concerns others might have 😉
 
The media always seems to pick the “academics” who are off kilter… sensationalism/controversial = $$$$$$$$$$$
sad, but true…
National Geographic lost me as a member/subscriber over their breathless cover story on the Gospel of Judas.
so btw, are you planning on leaving the Church (or starting a new sect) due to watching this movie?
Just want to alieve any concerns others might have 😉
No, but maybe I’ll join the Audrey Tautou fan club…😃

Actually, I had a big grin on my face the whole time I watched it. The premise was so half-baked. Plus it’s hard to imagine the star of “Bosom Buddies” as a Harvard academic unraveling the “secrets” of Christianity. It’d been much more fun if it had been Han Solo. But that’s the jaded archaeologist in me coming out…

Thanks Lion for correctly interpreting my words and not using them as a reason to jump on me.:tiphat:
 
National Geographic lost me as a member/subscriber over their breathless cover story on the Gospel of Judas.

No, but maybe I’ll join the Audrey Tautou fan club…😃

Actually, I had a big grin on my face the whole time I watched it. The premise was so half-baked. Plus it’s hard to imagine the star of “Bosom Buddies” as a Harvard academic unraveling the “secrets” of Christianity. It’d been much more fun if it had been Han Solo. But that’s the jaded archaeologist in me coming out…

Thanks Lion for correctly interpreting my words and not using them as a reason to jump on me.:tiphat:
Bosom Buddies… haven’t thought of that show in years!!! Probably did more damage to me as a child 😉 than anything I’ve watched as an adult :eek:
To be honest, no idea who Audrey Tautou is :confused:

Sometimes we are ready to jump on someone without cause
… if we really try to interpret what they are trying to say or ask… maybe we would be more “generous”. People, myself included are often looking for suggestions ideas, but people want to attack and prove “themselves” right instead of addressing our questions or statements from a “loving” point of view… I’m guilty too… Having said that, sometimes it is good when someone “pushes” us. And having said that, I am thankful for alll of those who have helped me deepened my Faith… win some, lose some… I generally believe that for the most part others are here to help me… And God Bless them all !!! 🙂
 
I rented it, too. And I watched it.

I refused to pay the price to see in in the theater. I refused to buy the book, although I did skim through most of it during several visits to the bookstore then left it on the shelf.

I thought the movie was actually pretty good. ( :bigyikes: Oops - give me time to raise the blast shield before you start wielding the rotten tomatoes.) It’s a tightly paced suspense story, and the casting of the very anti-Christian homosexual Ian McKellan as Leigh Teabing was inspired.

As to the whole premise, it was laughable. They’re trying to prove someone was the living descendant of Jesus Christ through the use of Mary Magdalene’s bones.

Let’s assume that a set of bones not in their original tomb but moved several times over the centuries could be proven to be a certain person, and assume that someone could extract a usable DNA sample from 2,000-year-old bones, and assume that a DNA test could reliably show any living person was the descendant, what would you prove?

Maternity.

You couldn’t prove paternity unless you also had a sample of the father’s DNA. Ask anyone who ever tried to get child support money.

So, where do you get a sample of Jesus’ DNA?

I dunno - how about the Shroud of Turin? Oh, yes, I forgot. The same Da Vinci Code / Priory of Sion crowd also thinks the shroud is a Da Vanci-created fake. Oops.

Nan
 
My SIL brought the movie over to our house so my husband and I watched it with her. It gave me an opportunity to try to clear up some misconceptions she has about Catholics. She was truly amazed when I told her Catholics do not beat themselves with whips as portrayed in the movie. I don’t know if she believed me, but I tried.
 
Actually some Opus Dei do practice corporal mortification, but not nearly to the extint of Silas.

opusdei.us/art.php?p=16367

If you read St. Josemaria Escriva’s “The Way” he’s not saying anything odd or strange. He just endorses a no excuses path to sactification…
 
Greetings…
I went to see the movie when it first came out. And will never ever think about seeing it again. I dont know if it was Jesus giving us a message to get out and not watch it or just an act of ‘nature’
Anyway, here is my story.
We got into the movie to watch it, the movie was just about to start, and my mother had some sort of seizure. She had blacked out and was convulsing pretty badly, I was lucky the lady behind me was a nurse and she brought her around. Mum didnt feel anything and thought she was asleep. It scared the cr*p out of me and I was trying to encourage her to leave so we could go to the dr’s., but she insisted on watching it so we stayed, i think i prayed pretty hard for forgivness after all that happened.
She had all types of tests on her and nothing was wrong, so if anyone ever asks me do you think i should watch it… i give them a big fat NO!!!
 
In my humble opinion is all comes down to why you are watching the movie and what you intend on doing afterwards. If you are watching this for purely entertainment than it would be a sin since you know it is wrong and you are giving money to a very anti-Catholic cause. If you are going to watch this to refrute it to others and teach them what is right than I don’t believe it is a sin. Also giving extra money to the Church is a great idea. 👍
So are you saying you only go to the theatre to watch movies that you consider Catholic neutral? Then why go the movies at all. The money you spend on a ticket doesn’t all go to the movie itself…part of it goes to the theatre that is showing the movie. The same theatre that shows…The Ring, The BirdCage, Priest, The Omen, The Stigmata, Harry Potter, The Shining and yes, The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe. So in affect you are sinning even when you see a Benji movie, because in the theatre next to you, The DaVinci Code is playing. Where does the madness end?

Is giving extra money to the church because you watched the DaVinci Code make God forget you watched it? It’s like my Holiness cousins who weren’t allowed to go to the beach on Sunday, because it was a sin to be in a bathing suit on Sunday. Which I asked the question…“Does that mean the Lord sleeps all week and wakes up on Sunday to see you in a bathing suit?”

Come on, Jared…living with full absolutes makes one want to live in a cave. Lighten up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top