C
Chancellor
Guest
Thanks Douglas;Chancellor,
I agree, there are a lot of spiritual lessons there. For instance, when we try to eradicate sin from our lives, if we expect to really live for God in the peace He promised, it has to be total war against sin; no shady alliances with the enemy. Harem warfare, like in the book of Joshua is a fantastic allegory of this, and what happens when you don’t go all out.
It’s really great, though to hear Scripture scholars like Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins who do not shy away from the literal historical problems, but show why God acts like He does and how it fits into His plan of hope and salvation for humanity.
I think at the end of the day we would end up at more or less the same place but by two different routes. Any Christian can accept that the whole of both testaments reveal God’s plan. After that there will be much discussion and disagreement as to what that plan is in its details but the basics are in place.
I also agree that Scott Hahn derives good insights from the OT. He might say as you do that he is commenting on the “literal historical problems”. Even this could be agreed on, yes, maybe Hahn is commenting on literal historical problems. This can be totally true without the documents themselves being literally history. I am not saying that there is no accurate history in the OT. I’m just not going to bet my faith on it.
For me it is clear that there is more theological literature in the OT than history. The New Testament, especially the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ are true history. The book of Revelation is not intended to be history, but that is another discussion.
Chancellor