Old Testament

  • Thread starter Thread starter nishkalank
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nishkalank

Guest
Is it clearly known who wrote the Old Testament? If so what proof could be adduced ? When was it known that there was such a writing ? Who initaited and helped to bring it to the world notice ?
 
Check out the introductory sheets to each chapter in the NAB.

The website New Advent would also be helpful for you.

Google: New Advent Old Testament

or: New Advent Old Testament Canon
 
Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
I am maybe not the best one to ansver this one,but I will give my own opinion,not so much ansver it. (You could ask this question from a rabbi,he would maybe know better?) The Old Testament are a collection of history and books about well knowed peoples life,and naturaly all has to do whit religion. In the New Testament we read often how Jesus was reading from scrolls,and we know that what wos predicted in the O.T did happend in the N.T.
It is very likely that most of the books are written down maybe 100 of yers after what they tell,only a few could write or read then,so we must assume that all is not exact what took place,but close enough. Many books are a kind of “records” what took place,some tells storys that had gone from mouth to mouth maybe for centuries,some are maybe fictive,like the book of Job. But it is so obvies that it is just a teaching story that we can’t realy see it in any other light. So I think we can say that it is a collection of[true]storys from the early days of believing in God.
To me O.T is a history book wich I read whit great plesure and every time I read it,time after time,I both understand and learn new things. I see O.T as a interesting reading and as the proof of what happens later on,in the New Testament. I wish I could help You,but I am sure that here are people who knows much better then me,and as I wrote in the begining,ask a rabbi,thats what I would do,keeping in mind that it is almost impossible to know for sure,but what ever ansver You will get,all in the N.T is true,and thats all whats counts in the end. As I so often say,where there is understanding,there is forgivness,and where there is forgivness,there is love,and where there is love,there is Jesus,and that is all what matters.
 
Is it clearly known who wrote the Old Testament? If so what proof could be adduced ? When was it known that there was such a writing ? Who initaited and helped to bring it to the world notice ?
Doesn’t the Old Testament itself give a load of clues about its authorship? There are also some very old traditions about authorship e.g. Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch that seem to be affirmed by the attestation of the New Testament also. There are of course a million different theories about various redactive traditions, sources etc for the Bible but I hold a pretty straightforward conservative view that when the Bible seems to suggest it was written by someone then it probably was. So the Isaiah debate is one example. I think Isaiah wrote Isaiah, others suggest that it could be broken in several works which were later collated together. But in my view these are speculations with little support from the text itself.

An important question to ask when doubting the straightforward interpretation of something is why you doubt the starightforward interpretation. That will in turn reveal the assumptions that you carry into the investigation.
 
Does the Bible say that Moses wrote the first five books?
yes-

For example:

Exodus 24:4
Exodus 34:27
Numbers 33:2
Deuteronomy 31:9
Joshua 8:32
2 Chronicles 34:14
John 1:17
Luke 24:27
John 1:45
 
Does the Bible say that Moses wrote the first five books?
No.

After all, Deuteronomy records Moses’ death, before the end of the book, so he could not have written that himself. Unless I’m mistaken!
 
Is it clearly known who wrote the Old Testament? If so what proof could be adduced ? When was it known that there was such a writing ? Who initaited and helped to bring it to the world notice ?
On one hand yes…God

On the other hand, no. Many human authors were involved.
 
No.

After all, Deuteronomy records Moses’ death, before the end of the book, so he could not have written that himself. Unless I’m mistaken!
Even this depends on the way you look at what Mosaic authorship means. If for example Moses words were faithfully recorded during his lifetime by close associate(s) and checked by him then that same associate(s) could have recorded his death. Thus when we read the Pentateuch we do read what happened through the man Moses and can like Jesus attribute them to Gods inspiration through the human personality of the man Moses.
 
Even this depends on the way you look at what Mosaic authorship means. If for example Moses words were faithfully recorded during his lifetime by close associate(s) and checked by him then that same associate(s) could have recorded his death. Thus when we read the Pentateuch we do read what happened through the man Moses and can like Jesus attribute them to Gods inspiration through the human personality of the man Moses.
No, we don’t read in the Pentateuch what happened through the man Moses.

The entire book of Genesis covers a period prior to Moses’ existence.

Of course all Scripture is attributed to God’s inspiration.
 
No, we don’t read in the Pentateuch what happened through the man Moses.

The entire book of Genesis covers a period prior to Moses’ existence.

Of course all Scripture is attributed to God’s inspiration.
That’s true and what I wrote on reflection is poorly phrased. I believe it was Moses who authored Genesis and that is the strongest tradition related to its authorship.
 
That’s true and what I wrote on reflection is poorly phrased. I believe it was Moses who authored Genesis and that is the strongest tradition related to its authorship.
You are free to believe Moses “authored” Genesis. The Catholic Church does not require or teach such belief. It’s open to anyone’s opinion. You can think it’s the strongest tradition regarding authorship of Genesis, that’s fine, again, you’re free to your opinion. I don’t know of any current Catholic Scripture scholars who claim such, for whatever that is worth.
 
You are free to believe Moses “authored” Genesis. The Catholic Church does not require or teach such belief. It’s open to anyone’s opinion. You can think it’s the strongest tradition regarding authorship of Genesis, that’s fine, again, you’re free to your opinion. I don’t know of any current Catholic Scripture scholars who claim such, for whatever that is worth.
The original Jewish tradition was of Mosaic authorship. It seems to be Jesus view : Mark 12:26, Luke 16:29-31, Luke 24:44, Matt. 5:17; 22:40 ; Luke 16:29,31; John 7:19

Documentary theory and the Graf-Wellhausen theory are pretty much discredited these days. Or are you a JPED man. The trend is to treat the Pentateuch as a literary whole in which the many names of God emphasise different aspects of His personality and working rather than evidence of different sources for instance.

“But if you believe not his [Moses’] writings, how shall you believe my words?” (John 5:47).

I do not believe that what you are saying is the position of the Catholic church and if it is that raises major questions in my view of the authority of the teaching office.
 
=nishkalank;7158459]Is it clearly known who wrote the Old Testament? If so what proof could be adduced ? When was it known that there was such a writing ? Who initaited and helped to bring it to the world notice ?
Here’s God’s reply to your question…

2 Tim.3 Verses 15 to 17

[15] “and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.** All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, **[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

 
T

I do not believe that what you are saying is the position of the Catholic church and if it is that raises major questions in my view of the authority of the teaching office.
Where does the Catholic Church support your position? You can refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church for my position. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top