F
ForwardProgress
Guest
Ok…seems like if you read older stuff on Hell, and the visions thereof by saints…(Bosco, Leonard, Teresa, Lucia)…it’s like most people are going there…that very few will be saved.
The people there are often there for one unconfessed or insufficiently confessed sin. Almost like there is some kind of accounting going on…on the right hand, you have mortal sins, on the left, you have cancel grace. If you don’t confess every single one of those sins, you are damned. God’s wrath is mentioned. They seem to make no exception for perhaps someone who has gone away from the Church for a long time and has no exact count of his/her sinfulness. People were in hell in Bosco’s vision, for example, that confessed that they did a sin 2 or 3 times when they really did it 4 times.
I know Hell is real, I believe it. But based on this older ‘version’ of hell and what gets you there, I am going to die and be damned, because I’m sure I didn’t give exact numbers of times that I’ve fallen into sin.
Current teaching is very merciful, and gives the impression that if one struggles, that’s what matters…we may fall, but we don’t give up.
That’s not the impression I get from the ‘old’ church…You screw up, you will go to hell. If you don’t do extreme penance for your past sins, you’ll go to hell, even though you were absolved…you weren’t sorry enough, you didn’t do enough penance, etc…
I can’t take this. I’m about to be driven crazy with this and I’m afraid of losing my faith over this. This is not the faith I grew up with. This is not a loving God that I know. The God I think I know is merciful and compassionate, and understands struggle. Much like being a human father and seeing your children struggle to do what is right. You always love them and never turn them away.
The God of this older generation is much like the God of the Old Testament.
I don’t know what to believe anymore.

The people there are often there for one unconfessed or insufficiently confessed sin. Almost like there is some kind of accounting going on…on the right hand, you have mortal sins, on the left, you have cancel grace. If you don’t confess every single one of those sins, you are damned. God’s wrath is mentioned. They seem to make no exception for perhaps someone who has gone away from the Church for a long time and has no exact count of his/her sinfulness. People were in hell in Bosco’s vision, for example, that confessed that they did a sin 2 or 3 times when they really did it 4 times.
I know Hell is real, I believe it. But based on this older ‘version’ of hell and what gets you there, I am going to die and be damned, because I’m sure I didn’t give exact numbers of times that I’ve fallen into sin.
Current teaching is very merciful, and gives the impression that if one struggles, that’s what matters…we may fall, but we don’t give up.
That’s not the impression I get from the ‘old’ church…You screw up, you will go to hell. If you don’t do extreme penance for your past sins, you’ll go to hell, even though you were absolved…you weren’t sorry enough, you didn’t do enough penance, etc…
I can’t take this. I’m about to be driven crazy with this and I’m afraid of losing my faith over this. This is not the faith I grew up with. This is not a loving God that I know. The God I think I know is merciful and compassionate, and understands struggle. Much like being a human father and seeing your children struggle to do what is right. You always love them and never turn them away.
The God of this older generation is much like the God of the Old Testament.
I don’t know what to believe anymore.
