On chess and whether it is still banned

  • Thread starter Thread starter SimonAnoff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What – I thought betting / gambling is a legit part of Catholicism? Why else would we have the results of the “300 club” in the bulletin? 😂
 
He did say IMPRUDENT acts of gambling.

I’m sure a little prudent gambling to benefit the Church is just fine 😃

(Although a lot of them have done away with Bingo in recent decades in order to not feed people’s gambling addictions.)
 
Last edited:
They are, you just have to be prudent in your gambling. You can’t gamble away the money you need for food or bills, but if you have the means and can afford to drop $100 to go to the casino, that’s fine.
 
Well, you know… In Chess, “the best defense is a good offense.” - Bobby Fisher (I think)
 
I don’t often wish I could do multiple likes of the same post. This is one time I do.
 
Sounds like I touched a touchy subject. Please obey the speed limits. Drive defensively.
This subject popped up during Sunday homily. Pastor was stopped two times in two days for excessive speed. Fortunate for him he received warnings. The point he was making is that he didn’t learn from the first warning. The second was the wake up call. The third time could mean a fine, points on his license, higher insurance rates, or worse. Sometimes God has to give you a gentle smack.
 
Chess is lawful; chest (as a childhood friend of mine used to mistakenly call the game) is unlawful.
 
Playing chest? Is that punching each other in the sternum? Sounds worse than dodge ball, even.
 
No, my friend actually meant chess but thought the name of the game was chest. Speaking of dodge ball, I recall in high school we used to play what we called war ball, in which the whole body was a target including the head. Looking back, a horrible game!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a one-way trip to the ER after someone breaks someone’s Xiphoid Process
 
Last edited:
Speaking of dodge ball, I recall in high school we used to play what we called war ball
In elementary school me and a couple guys used to play murder ball. Which was basically anything-goes basketball. Fun times. Also dumb times, but fun times.
 
How can a game with Catholic Bishops be banned? Just remember they can only move diagonally!
 
It is good to take note of the fact that we live in a society and culture in which we think far too much about the temporal and trivial while thinking far too little about the eternal and the important.
 
Generally speaking, dodge ball, at least at my school, IS war ball.
 
Last edited:
Yikes, sorry guys, my OCD must have just gone into overdrive over the aforementioned Saint’s qualms with the game, so sorry! 😦
Chess hate speech is a banning offence - I’m surprised this thread isn’t locked by now.
#Scachistica-phobia
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top