On Pornography addiction

  • Thread starter Thread starter smndtupidisaftr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO! :eek: ALL of the major 12 step programs, especially Al Anon, advocate the exact opposite. I’m guessing you’ve not spent any time with people who are in rehab programs?

al-anon-alateen-msp.org/pages/12steps.html
nar-anon.org/Nar-Anon/Nar-Anon_Principles.html
gamblersanonymous.org/recovery.html
oa.org/new-to-oa/twelve-steps.php
etc.

Also, you may find this interesting (yes, I know it’s Oprah, but still, Dr. Drew is not your average Hollywood shrink)

youtube.com/watch?v=6J2saapueIg&NR=1
I did actually know someone who was a heroin addict at one point. He did describe how he got detoxed from it in a hospital by taking medication. He said it was the only way for him to quit, because had he quit on his own, without medication, he would have gotten withdrawal symptoms that could have been fatal (according to him, I never researched the issue).

Is there even evidence that 12 step programs work, or work better than therapy?
 
First bit of advice, don’t take the easy out of calling it an addiction.

Call it what it is, a nasty, sinful habit.

Second, you should break up with her until you kick this habit. No woman deserves a husband who wallows in this sin.
 
Stop calling it an addiction, the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnostic manual does not list either sex or internet addiction. When you say you are “addicted” to porn, you are setting up a certain frame of mind that conjures images of drug addicts who can’t resist drugs.

Medical professionals would not call you an addict, so don’t use a medical term.

You enjoy porn and you choose to look at porn. Think of it that way.

As far as I know, the best way to break a habit is to substitute something else for it. If giving up porn is too much for you, at least switch to written porn. Your girlfriend probably will not be upset over you reading about sexual scenarios, since you would not be looking at pictures/videos of other women.
It’s just like being a drug addict. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual is irrelevant. If a person does this compulsively, on a regular basis, what is it? It’s an addiction. And God can give anyone who asks the strength to break it.

“enjoy” and “choose” need to be understood as there are people who want to leave a bad choice behind.

Hope this helps,
Ed
 
And if you read the latest research you would realize that many Psychiatrist today understand that those programs never help anyone overcome the addiction… they are always and addict, they can’t learn to control it. The best goal for someone who is an Alcoholic is to be able to overcome that addiction so that they could have a drink every so often and stop, then they have beat the addiction. AA teaches that you are always a slave to the alcohol.

With Porn though the Church teaches that it’s always wrong so there is no every once and a while.

However not all churches teach this and many Christians feel it’s ok as a martial ad or to help one keep from having intercourse before marriage. These both do not fit our understanding of a Catholic marriage.

My point, and I believe Flyingfish as well, is that we seem, as fallible humans to like to do things we aren’t suppose to 😉 Have you ever noticed that few German or English teenagers feel they have to drink a whole 12 pack when they have a beer? while often American kids binge drink the moment they “can.” Often this is due partly to lack of understanding but primarily due to the whole rebellion concept. They aren’t suppose to drink so it makes drinking more attractive. The same thing applies to porn.

Many couples who might have looked and porn in the past together, neither spouse seemed to care, eventually realized it wasn’t a big deal and / or were led to understand that it really wasn’t as much of a “marital aid” as some might suggest.

At least part of the issue I believe is that it was no longer a big deal. My wife never cared, she knew where I always slept and she was never threatened, probably because if I did look at porn sometime in the past, I often apt to say “hey honey, check this out!” We, like some others on this board fell away from that, for us well before we became Catholic, because, eh, it just didn’t matter, we were probably better at figuring out new things ourselves anyway.

So my point to the OP is this, you aren’t addicted. You are a normal male who is genetically predisposed to enjoy seeing the other sex naked. Yes I believe God made us this way… thus your desire is normal. The problem is that porn takes that desire out of context and carries it a lot further into a real of degeneration and the objectivation of the opposite sex. No longer is your wife of girlfriend seen as beautiful inside and out… you just see the outside and a sexual object for your desires… and that becomes a problem.

The solution, realize your desire is normal and pray for God to give you strength and help you figure out a way to release that in an acceptable manner. Know that He will but also treat this like any other mortal sin… don’t make it something it’s not. And make sure your girlfriend understand this as well because there seem to be many, even on this board, who don’t.

For instance, look at Gossip… how many lives have been ruined through Gossip? many more than porn I would bet yet how many people gossip daily? how many gossip daily to their friends then get on this board and tell someone they should leave their husband because he looked at porn and is thus definitely an addict. And how many people want to judge someone for looking at porn when they watch Soap Operas and shows like Desperate Housewives? According to the Church porn is anything artificial that is intended to get you sexually excited outside of the marital embrace. So yea that means the Romance Novels are porn in most cases…

Finally realize that you are probably going to fail from time to time… and like any other mortal sin, you go to confession, ask for forgiveness and do better next time. Don’t let the Devil make this one single sin into something that can control and ruin your life, treat it as a sin and know that God will always be there to help you continually grow closer to Him.

Joe

PS - When I say most aren’t addicts I mean people who view porn from time to time. This is not talking about people who have viewed it or do in front of their children, or view it every single day multiple times a day. While there may be no diagnosis, I would say there is something psychologically wrong with those other individuals, could be exhibitionism, OCD behavior with the porn etc… and those individuals should seek professional help.
*Great post, Joe. *
 
It’s just like being a drug addict. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual is irrelevant. If a person does this compulsively, on a regular basis, what is it? It’s an addiction. And God can give anyone who asks the strength to break it.

“enjoy” and “choose” need to be understood as there are people who want to leave a bad choice behind.

Hope this helps,
Ed
The thing with drugs is you actually become physically dependent on them, there’s brain chemistry involved of you needing more and more of the same drug to get an effect and eventually to avoid withdrawal symptoms (also very real symptoms).

Do you think if a porn “addict” stops looking at naked women that he’s going to say have seizures, or throw up, or otherwise feel withdrawal?

For example I enjoy posting on internet forums, maybe I spend too much time posting on internet forums. Does it mean I am an addict? What if a guy really enjoys watching sports on TV, to the point where he watches them every day, even when he should be fixing up his house. Is he an addict? Do you see what I’m saying?

I would take seriously the possibility of a real addiction in the case of a guy who spends many hours every single day viewing porn so much so that it interferes with his ability to perform his job, succeed in school, or otherwise live a normal life.
 
Stop calling it an addiction, the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnostic manual does not list either sex or internet addiction. When you say you are “addicted” to porn, you are setting up a certain frame of mind that conjures images of drug addicts who can’t resist drugs.

Medical professionals would not call you an addict, so don’t use a medical term.

You enjoy porn and you choose to look at porn. Think of it that way.

As far as I know, the best way to break a habit is to substitute something else for it. If giving up porn is too much for you, at least switch to written porn. Your girlfriend probably will not be upset over you reading about sexual scenarios, since you would not be looking at pictures/videos of other women.
Porn can cause changes in the brain, according to Norman Doidge, a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, researcher, author, essayist and poet. He is on the Research Faculty at Columbia University’s Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, in New York, and the University of Toronto’s Department of Psychiatry. He is a native of Toronto.

**From Norman Doidge in his book: The Brain That Changes Itself:
**
The current porn epidemic gives a graphic demonstration that sexual tastes can be acquired. Pornography, delivered by high-speed Internet connections, satisfies every one of the prerequisites for neuroplastic change [forming new neural circuitry- a key piece in addiction]…

The addictiveness of Internet pornography is not a metaphor. Not all addictions are to drugs or alcohol. People can be seriously addicted to gambling, even to running. All addicts show a loss of control of the activity, compulsively seek it out despite negative consequences, develop tolerance so that they need higher and higher levels of stimulation for satisfaction, and experience withdrawal if they can’t consummate the addictive act.

All addiction involves long-term, sometimes lifelong, neuroplastic change in the brain. For addicts, moderation is impossible, and they must avoid the substance or activity completely if they are to avoid addictive behaviors. Alcoholics Anonymous insists that there are no “former alcoholics” and makes people who haven’t had a drink for decades introduce themselves at a meeting by saying, “My name is John, and I am an alcoholic.” In terms of [brain] plasticity, they are often correct.

In order to determine how addictive a street drug is, researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Maryland train a rat to press a bar until it gets a shot of the drug. The harder the animal is willing to work to press the bar, the more addictive the drug. Cocaine, almost all other illegal drugs, and even nondrug addictions such as running make the pleasure-giving neurotransmitter dopamine more active in the brain. Dopamine is called the reward transmitter, because when we accomplish something–run a race and win–our brain triggers its release. Though exhausted, we get a surge of energy, exciting pleasure, and confidence and even raise our hands and run a victory lap. The losers, on the other hand, who get no such dopamine surge, immediately run out of energy, collapse at the finish line, and feel awful about themselves. By hijacking our dopamine system, addictive substances give us pleasure without our having to work for it.

[107] Dopamine, as we saw in Merzenick’s work, is also involved in plastic change. The same surge of dopamine that thrills us also consolidates the neuronal connections responsible for the behaviors that led us to accomplish our goal. When Merzenick used an electrode to stimulate an animal’s dopamine reward system while playing a sound, dopamine release stimulated plastic change, enlarging the representation for the sound in the animal’s auditory map. An important link with porn is that dopamine is also released in sexual excitement, increasing the sex drive in both sexes, facilitating orgasm, and activating the brain’s pleasure centers. Hence the addictive power of pornography.

Eric Nestler, at the University of Texas, has shown how addictions cause permanent changes in the brains of animals. A single dose of many addictive drugs will produce a protein, called delta FosB that accumulates in the neurons. Each time the drug is used, more delta FosB accumulates until it throws a genetic switch, affecting which genes are turned on or off. Flipping this switch causes changes that persist long after the drug is stopped, leading to irreversible damage to the brain’s dopamine system and rendering the animal far more prone to addiction. Non-drug addictions, such as running and sucrose drinking, also lead to the accumulation of deltaFosB and the same permanent changes in the dopamine system. [Note: Not sure these are permanent. The study we saw said 1-2 months for lingering deltaFosB. More on Delta FosB]

Pornographers promise healthy pleasure and relief from sexual tension, but what they often deliver is addiction, tolerance, and an eventual decrease in pleasure. Paradoxically, the male patients I worked with often craved pornography but didn’t like it. The usual view is that an addict goes back for more of his fix because he likes the pleasure it gives and doesn’t like the pain of withdrawal. But addicts take drugs when there is no prospect of pleasure, when they know they have an insufficient dose to make them high, and will crave more before they begin to withdraw. Wanting and liking are two different things.

[108] An addict experiences cravings because his plastic brain has become sensitized to the drug or the experience. Sensitization leads to increased wanting. It is the accumulation of deltaFosB, caused by exposure to an addictive substance or activity, that leads to sensitization.

Pornography is more exciting than satisfying because we have two separate pleasure systems in our brains, one that has to do with exciting pleasure and one with satisfying pleasure. The exciting system relates to the “appetitive” pleasure that we get imagining something we desire, such as sex or a good meal. Its neurochemistry is largely dopamine-related, and it raises our tension level.

The second pleasure system has to do with the satisfaction, or consummatory pleasure, that attends actually having sex or having that meal, a calming, fulfilling pleasure. Its neurochemistry is based on the release of endorphins, which are related to opiates and give a peaceful, euphoric bliss.

Pornography, by offering an endless harem of sexual objects, hyperactivates the appetitive system. Porn viewers develop new maps in their brains, based on the photos and videos they see. Because it is a use-it-or-lose-it brain, when we develop a map area, we long to keep it activated. Just as our muscles become impatient for exercise if we’ve been sitting all day, so too do our senses hunger to be stimulated.

The men at their computers looking at porn were uncannily like the rats in the cages of the NIH, pressing the bar to get a shot of dopamine or its equivalent. Though they didn’t know it, they had been seduced into pornographic training sessions that met all the conditions required for plastic change of brain maps. Since neurons [109] that fire together wire together, these men got massive amounts of practice wiring these images into the pleasure centers of the brain, with the rapt attention necessary for plastic change. They imagined these images when away from their computers, or while having sex with their girlfriends, reinforcing them. Each time they felt sexual excitement and had an orgasm when they masturbated, a “spritz of dopamine,” the reward neurotransmitter, consolidated the connections made in the brain during the sessions. Not only did the reward facilitate the behavior; it provoked none of the embarrassment they felt purchasing Playboy at a store. Here was a behavior with no “punishment,” only reward.
 
I’ve read similiar things, too, Alaina…I posted it a few posts up. But, my posts are typically ignored…so…oh well. lol I think that commentary is very interesting…
 
I’ve read similiar things, too, Alaina…I posted it a few posts up. But, my posts are typically ignored…so…oh well. lol I think that commentary is very interesting…
WG I always look for your posts first 🙂 and while I don’t think it’s classified as an addiction yet (they are still figuring out if people like David D and Steven Tyler are truly sex addicts first I believe) you points are very well made and definitely valid 🙂

Joe
 
I didn’t know where else to put this thread. This seemed like the best place.

Anyway, this is something I’ve been dealing with for almost 10 years. I don’t do it as often as I once did, but I still am addicted to watching porn. During Lent, before Christmas, I always find it hard to give up this habit. I always feel terrible after doing it, but I just can’t seem to quit it.

Well now I have a girlfriend and I promised her that I would stop doing it. It worked for a while but eventually I was back at it. I couldn’t keep the secret from her any longer so I eventually told her yesterday. She saw it as me cheating on her (and I can level with that because I can’t exactly say that it isn’t cheating), and so today gave me an ultimatum. I feel horrible about going back on the promise I made to her, and the ultimatum makes me feel worse. It’s like the relationship can’t be the same because of my stupid addiction. It’s making me sin against God and may cause me to lose my girlfriend. I want to know how to break this addiction already.
Hey there,
First off, pornography can be a very addicting thing, and VERY hard to over come. I know this from personal experience. Thankfully there are some things that you can do to break it:
  1. Pray the rosary EVERY DAY!! Do not skip out on this. Our Lady is number 1 when it comes to purity and fighting the devil.
  2. Frequent the sacrament of Reconciliation. When I say frequent, I mean like once a week or once every other week. You need to have the sacramental grace from confession to fight this battle. Plus, it brings you into closer union with God.
  3. (and probably one of the most important) The Eucharist! Receive it as often as you can. This is the greatest sacrament Christ ever gave us, i.e, Him. Remember, through God all things are possible. Try and make it to daily Mass if you can, or at least more than just on Sundays.
Also, try and find out what triggers you to look at pornography. There are certain places, people, times, that give you a desire to look at pornography.

Be ready every day for a battle. Don’t think that Satan is going to give you a day off from this. He may not tempt you for a while just to make you think that you are free and then BAM! He comes outta the clear blue and trips you up. So be on your guard.

Also, if you ever get tempted really hard, don’t get discouraged. The temptation won’t last forever, and normally, it’s a last effort to try and trip you up.

Try not to be by yourself. It is when you can get tempted the hardest. Also, beware of when you have nothing to do. Always try and stay busy.

Do not get discouraged if you give into temptation. It happens. Just get back up, dust yourself off, and continue fighting.

Be patient. Don’t think you can be rid of this in a week. This could take a while so pray for patience. Be patient in the long haul and in the daily battles.

Have you brought this up to your confessor? If not, tell him that you are addicted to pornography. He can give you some help also.

Jason Evert is a great source too. You might want to check him out.

I hope this info was helpful for you! I will keep you in my prayers. 👍 You got this buddy! 🙂
 
I think everyone else has covered it pretty well so I’ll just back them up by saying what I know worked:

1- Don’t get discouraged, you only lose when you give up.
2- Pray the rosary DAILY.
3- Stop relying on just yourself. Rely on God, ask for Mary’s help, and remember that it’s through Him that you’ll conquer this, not by anything you do on your own. It’s not an easy fight, but you can do it with God’s help.
4- Confession (you already go, so don’t stop).
5- You need to force yourself away from porn, stop seeing ALL sites that are in any way sexual (they’ll make falling back easy). Comics, art sites, guy magazines, they’re all so over-sexualized that even if you’re not looking at “porn” you’ll be very tempted. Keep your computer somewhere public if possible, try to be alone with the computer as little as possible.
6- Do OTHER things. Exercise, sports, healthy things to keep you from the bad.
7- The Eucharist. Receive the Eucharist often but on top of that, spend time with our Lord to ask for help in person in Eucharistic adoration.

Last thing: I’ll be praying for you. 😃
 
http://payingattentiontothesky.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/300px-bloch-sermononthemount.jpg?

On the broader topic of addiction, Fr. Robert Barron in *The Strangest Way *has given us a way to view some of the more puzzling pronouncements found in the beatitudes:

"Anthony de Mello defines an attachment as anything in this world — including life itself— that we convince ourselves we cannot live without. The implication, of course, is that in Christ we can live without anything in this world, and to know that in our bones is to be detached, spiritually free. To live in the infinite power of God is to realize that we need nothing other, that we crave nothing more, that we can let go of everything else. De Mello’s attachment is very close to Augustine’s concupiscentia, or errant desire.

For Augustine, all of us have been wired for God (“you have made us for yourself”) and therefore we are satisfied with nothing less than God (“our hearts are restless until they rest in you”). To become focused on something less than God (anything created, including our own lives) is therefore to place ourselves in spiritual danger and desperately to frustrate the will.

Perhaps the best way to translate these notions of attachment and concupiscence into our contemporary jargon is by using the word “addiction.” When we attach our wills to something less than God, we automatically become addicted, and this is the case precisely because the lack of satisfaction that we necessarily experience leads to an obsessive return, a compulsive desire for more and more.

If that amount of money didn’t quell my deepest desire, I must need more money; if that sexual encounter didn’t satisfy the longing of my heart, I must need another more thrilling one, etc., etc. The initial thrill — the “rush” — of money, sex, or power conduces to an obsession that finally takes away our freedom and our self-possession.

Jesus describes the overcoming of this addiction with the evocative word “blessed,” *malcarios *in Greek. In Luke’s version of the beatitudes, we find a pithy presentation of what the view from the center is like. First we are told “how blessed (malcarios) are you who are poor” (Luke 6:20). We notice that there is none of the softening offered by Matthew (“poor in spirit”), but a simple and straightforward statement of the blessedness of being poor. How do we interpret what seems prima facie to be a glorification of economic poverty?

Let me propose the following reading: “How lucky you are if you are not addicted to material things.” One of the classic substitutes for God is material wealth, the accumulating of “things.” Like any drug, houses, cars, and property provide a “rush” when they first enter the system, but then in time, the thrill that they provide wears off, and more of the drug must be acquired. This rhythm continues inexorably and tragically until the addict is broken by it….

Luke’s beatitudes continue with “How blessed are you who weep now” (Luke 6:21). Again, we are struck by the oddness of the claim: how fortunate you are if you display the outward sign of greatest anxiety and depression. Might we translate it as follows: “How lucky you are if you are not addicted to good feelings.”

We live in a culture that puts a premium on good feelings and attempts to deny or medicate depression. But feeling happy is just as much a false god as wealth or power. It is, in itself, only an emotional state, a fleeting and insubstantial psychological condition that cannot possibly satisfy the deepest yearning of the soul; yet it is sought with as much compulsive frenzy as any other drug. We feel the “rush” of pleasure and then, when the thrill fades, we try at all costs to reproduce it at a higher pitch. It is in this context that the addictive use of drugs, alcohol, and artificial stimulants, as well as the hedonistic pursuit of pleasure in sex and at the table are to be understood. The person who lives in the center, the place of detachment, escapes (fortunately enough) this trap.

Luke’s Jesus continues: “Happy are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man” (Luke 6:22). What could be stranger than this seemingly masochistic dictum? Again, some light might be shed if we translate it in terms of our hermeneutic of detachment: “How lucky you are if you are not addicted to the approval of others.”

Status, attention, fame are among the most powerful and insinuating of the false gods who lure us … Jesus told his disciples: “Woe to you when all speak well of you” (Luke 6:26), and Winston Churchill said, “Never trust a man who has no enemies.” The one whom everyone loves is in spiritual distress, since the good-will of the crowd has undoubtedly become that person’s idol. As so many of the saints — and Jesus himself– witness, the path of spiritual freedom brings one almost inevitably into conflict with those who are still in chains. Those who have placed themselves in the Christ-center rest secure even as the approval of the fickle crowd waxes and wanes.

The freedom and fullness of detachment is probably no better expressed than in John of the Cross’s beautiful mantra: “To reach satisfaction in all, desire satisfaction in nothing; to come to the knowledge of all, desire the knowledge of nothing; to come to possess all, desire the possession of nothing; to arrive at being all, desire to be nothing.”

This fourfold nada is not a negation but the deepest affirmation, since it is a “no” to a “no.” Desiring to possess all, desiring to be all is the nonbeing of attachment, the misery of addiction; desiring to possess nothing, desiring to be nothing is, accordingly, freedom and being. It is finally to see the world as it is, and not through the distorting lens of cupidity and egotism. It is the view from the center."

Seen in this way, addiction may be central to the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount. For other reflections on the 5th, 6th, and 7th chapters of Matthew see here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/05/29/reflections-on-the-sermon-on-the-mount/

I love the Chesterton piece the best.

dj
 
The brain that changes itself:
All addiction involves long-term, sometimes lifelong, neuroplastic change in the brain. For addicts, moderation is impossible, and they must avoid the substance or activity completely if they are to avoid addictive behaviors.
Alcoholics Anonymous insists that there are no “former alcoholics” and makes people who haven’t had a drink for decades introduce themselves at a meeting by saying, “My name is John, and I am an alcoholic.” In terms of [brain] plasticity, they are often correct.

…

Pornographers promise healthy pleasure and relief from sexual tension, but what they often deliver is addiction, tolerance, and an eventual decrease in pleasure. Paradoxically, the male patients I worked with often craved pornography but didn’t like it. **The usual view is that an addict goes back for more of his fix because he likes the pleasure it gives and doesn’t like the pain of withdrawal. But addicts take drugs when there is no prospect of pleasure, when they know they have an insufficient dose to make them high, and will crave more before they begin to withdraw. **Wanting and liking are two different things.
From what you posted, it doesn’t seem like the author of the book would think that a guy who regularly looks at porn in moderation is an addict. (Just like a guy who has a glass of wine with dinner is not an alcoholic).

Even we accept that there is such a thing as pornography addiction, it would only apply to people who have truly lost control over it and spend countless hours viewing pornography, unable to stop, to the detriment of success in their daily lives.

The OP did not say how frequently he views porn, or how much time he spends per session.

But to return to the subject of the OP, I think the best way for him to stop looking at it would be to substitute alternatives for the porn.
 
SMND,

I am a man who struggles daily with breaking the habit of lust and masturbation. I used to masturbate hundreds of times of month and I had entire hard drives full of porn. Porn nearly destroyed my work, my marriage, and even my soul.

Pay no attention to whether or not masturbation is an “addiction” according to secular medical diagnoses. The fact is that porn and masturbation are gravely disordered; and either one - indulged even once - has the potential to be a mortal sin. That’s a sin that could condemn one to Hell after death.

I cannot judge you, or even myself, but the risk of Hell is real even if we don’t know the true state of someone’s soul. Therefore, if the risk is real then you (and I) need to do everything possible to stop. Even lusting after women in your heart is adultery and could be a mortal sin - Jesus said so himself.

Let me share what has worked for me. Others have posted some of these as well as well.
  1. You cannot break this habit on your own. Know this and own this. You must fill the void left in your heart by lust with something - and that something must be the Love of God.
  2. Realize that engaging in porn and masturbation is a choice, pure and simple. You might be horribly tempted, even “addicted,” but it is still a choice you make. Own responsibility for that. The only difference between a coward and a courageous person is the choice made in the face of the same fear. In the same way, the difference between the lecher and the chaste person is the choice made in the face of sexual temptation. Chose to be courageous and chaste.
  3. The battle is won not in the moment of temptation, but in the preparation for the temptation.
    -Pray a daily rosary and daily divine mercy chaplet.
    -Go to confession at least once per week- even if you don’t fall - and certainly every time after you fall.
    -Go to daily mass, if possible.
    -Pray before and adore Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
    -As soon as you start or think you will start to masturbate or watch porn, make yourself start to say a Hail Mary. It’s a powerful sin-stopper to think about the Blessed Mother when you are about to masturbate or watch porn.
    -Eliminate all forms of porn and temptation in your house - even things that are otherwise not porn. (Delete porn from your computer permanently, throw away all porn material, remove any posters of beautiful women (even if clothed), make sure all porn channels are blocked on your TV, etc., etc.)
  4. Change the way you think about women and sex. This is very hard, but it can be done slowly over time - just like losing weight.
    -Remind yourself that every woman you see, particularly those you lust after, is a daughter of the Most High King; a soul whom you hope to see in Heaven some day; a person who was once a little girl who giggled and twirled in a dress. Will you violate this person with your lust and masturbation?
    -Ask yourself what you would think if some other man were lusting after your mother, daughter, or sister and was doing what you were doing when you masturbate.
    -Learn the Theology of the Body. Sex is very holy and beautiful in its proper place; know it.
    -Learn female biology better. You will come to know that the system is amazingly focused on reproduction, and that will help you better understand its purpose in marriage.
    -Do not use crude words to describe sex or women. Ever. Don’t tolerate it in others.
  5. Distract yourself when you are tempted. Get up and walk around - literally - doing so will physically help with any erection you might have. Engage in your hobby. Do work. Pray.
  6. Avoid anything else that is sinful, such as pride, anger, gluttony, sloth, deceit, or any of the other sins - and keep all of the 10 commandments (don’t know them? Learn them). Other sins weaken your ability to chose chastely.
  7. Accept no excuses. When you fall, acknowledge that it is your fault. Go to confession and resolve to do better.
Trust me, I initmately know how hard this is to break. Consider it your Cross to be carried.

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING THAT ACTUAL SEX WILL HELP YOU. Your desires are disorderd; and getting married will not help. If anything, real sex - particularly illicit sex - makes the disordered desires worse.

To truly enjoy sex in an ordered way - and it is made by God to be enjoyed in its proper context - you must reform your very thoughts so that your desires are ordered. It’s a hard road, but it can be done with God’s help. I know.

I hope this helps. God Bless.
 
I was a victim of this and other impure behaviors for many years. I was able to justify it to myself on so many grounds: medical issues, problems in my marriage (including my wife not being willing or medically able for most of our married years, including the first seven and the last seven or more), and resentment against and criticism of the Church.

As I read more and more on the subject, I began to realize that my behavior had many negative consequences. Even though I was able to get most of my impure material for free, I began to accept that my consumption of pornography was not victimless – it violated the 9th Commandment and many other calls to purity in the Bible, degraded the women portrayed and added profits and popularity to evil people, websites, and magazines. So I stopped buying or viewing porn.

Next, I realized that my remaining level of impure activities was still poisoning my relationship with God and my relationship with my wife. I thought I would NEVER be able to eliminate this behavior until I decided to follow the advice in the book “Every Man’s Battle.” One of their principal points is that yes, there are physical needs and pressures, but we also CREATE psychological needs and pressures by the images we let into our heads. After I made a commitment to turn away from the culturally-approved sources of sensuality (suggestive TV shows, sexy magazine ads, catalogs, and even taking second looks at women on the street), I found that what I thought were “irresistible physical pressures” decreased. Although it is a temptation I still have to resist, I actually am enjoying the benefits and freedom of having a better relationship with God and not having to hide my impure behaviors.

So, although I might still have some lingering intellectual doubts about the absolute authority of the Church in this area of morals, I have no doubt that for most people, masturbation interferes with having a holy and peaceful life, so calling it “sin” is fine by me. I even was willing to accept some persistent level of this sin in my life for a long time, until I found that I was able to eliminate this supposedly irresistible temptation.

If anyone wants to find a community of men who have kicked this habit and are happier for it, check out the link to the Impurity Addiction Support Group in my sig.

Praying for us all,
  • curl
 
SMND,
  1. Change the way you think about women and sex. This is very hard, but it can be done slowly over time - just like losing weight.
    -Remind yourself that every woman you see, particularly those you lust after, is a daughter of the Most High King; a soul whom you hope to see in Heaven some day; a person who was once a little girl who giggled and twirled in a dress. Will you violate this person with your lust and masturbation?
    -Ask yourself what you would think if some other man were lusting after your mother, daughter, or sister and was doing what you were doing when you masturbate.
    -Learn the Theology of the Body. Sex is very holy and beautiful in its proper place; know it.
    -Learn female biology better. You will come to know that the system is amazingly focused on reproduction, and that will help you better understand its purpose in marriage.
    -Do not use crude words to describe sex or women. Ever. Don’t tolerate it in others.
  2. Distract yourself when you are tempted. Get up and walk around - literally - doing so will physically help with any erection you might have. Engage in your hobby. Do work. Pray.
As a member of the human family, all God’s children must be treated with the dignity they deserve. These people who are in the pornographic images are children of God, and I agree with the sentiments of ContegoFides regarding thinking about these people as your loved ones - sisters, daughters, spouse, cousins, or similar. Also think about the way we are called to find Jesus in each other, is this the way Jesus would want us to view Him?

The advice of ContegoFides regarding finding a way to take your mind and thoughts to a different place is also very good. Whenever we are liberated from something, we are liberated to something else - paraphrasing words of Henri Nouwen. Find something healthy and positive to be spending this time on rather than engaging in this self destructive habit.

I offer a Lenten reflection from Bishop Fulton Sheen for the Saturday of the second week of Lent:

NATURAL KINDNESS

Because kindness is related to love, it follows that the kind person loves another not for the pleasure the other person gives, nor because the other person can do a kindness to us in return, but because the other person is lovable in himself (or herself). The basic reason everyone is lovable is because God made him. If we were evolved from the beast, none of us would be deserving of any love…

To a great extent the world is what we make it. We get back what we give. If we sow hate, we reap hate; if we scatter love and gentleness we harvest love and happiness. Other people are like a mirror which reflects back on us the kind of image we cast. The kind person bears with the infirmities of others, never magnifies trifles, and avoids a spirit of fault finding.

Fulton J. Sheen, Way to Happiness

Father of Light and Ever-Changeless God, open our hearts to your unlimited truth and let us show by our deeds, and not just by our words, that we are workers in the service of your Truth. Amen.

Praying for all who are affected by this and all difficult sins, that each person may have the ability to respond to the calling of our God, and for all of us to put all of our actions under the scrutiny of the Light of our Lord. Amen.
 
I didn’t know where else to put this thread. This seemed like the best place.

Anyway, this is something I’ve been dealing with for almost 10 years. I don’t do it as often as I once did, but I still am addicted to watching porn. During Lent, before Christmas, I always find it hard to give up this habit. I always feel terrible after doing it, but I just can’t seem to quit it.

Well now I have a girlfriend and I promised her that I would stop doing it. It worked for a while but eventually I was back at it. I couldn’t keep the secret from her any longer so I eventually told her yesterday. She saw it as me cheating on her (and I can level with that because I can’t exactly say that it isn’t cheating), and so today gave me an ultimatum. I feel horrible about going back on the promise I made to her, and the ultimatum makes me feel worse. It’s like the relationship can’t be the same because of my stupid addiction. It’s making me sin against God and may cause me to lose my girlfriend. I want to know how to break this addiction already.
Based on personal experience I can tell you that one big thing that will keep you in this sin is yet another sin (even more terrible than this one) which is Pride. In order to break this addiction you must give yourself completely to Christ. You can’t break this addiction on your own… you need the Lord & the support of your family/friends

1)Go to confession frequently (weekly… or more frequently than that if you keep falling),
2)Go to communion DAILY if possible
3)Pray the rosary DAILY and spend a good deal of time praying (other prayers,devotions)
4) Read the Sacred Scriptures & reflect on what God has to say about living a chaste life
  1. Spend more time with friends & family… i.e. spend LESS time alone
  2. Occupy yourself with work… don’t sit around trying wasting your time doing nothing… you’ll fall back easier into this sin if you are “bored” or have nothing to do
Your brother in Christ,
Zachary
 
Dear OP:

Here is a very good site which has helped many. After you register, click on Recovery on the top right and there is a series of lessons you read through and work on. With questions you right down and keep in a journal at the end of every lesson. It’s excellent. Of course praying daily, for strength to withstand your temptation. We all have them! Meditate on the verse from Phillipians: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.

You can do it!

God Bless

recoverynation.com/
 
Very Important Question:

If a husband is not doing anything to change this habit, is this is justifiable reason to divorce him? IF he is just revelling in this sin, what should a good Catholic wife do in this case? If she has tried everything? To no avail. If he is still seeking out porn, and infidelity, what, just what/how should a Catholic wife proceed? EVEN considering counseling of course HAS been sought many times? Please help me.

😦
 
Very Important Question:

If a husband is not doing anything to change this habit, is this is justifiable reason to divorce him? IF he is just revelling in this sin, what should a good Catholic wife do in this case? If she has tried everything? To no avail. If he is still seeking out porn, and infidelity, what, just what/how should a Catholic wife proceed? EVEN considering counseling of course HAS been sought many times? Please help me.

😦
Many saints were married to flagrant sinners.

One does not have to put yourself in harm’s way - if his infidelity is physical, then, do not risk an STD. Separation may be necessary to protect your kids. A good priest will help direct you.

You may find comfort reading some lives of the saints, maybe start with Leseur amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Elisabeth-Leseur-Goodness/dp/1928832482/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268086867&sr=1-2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top