
“aka”
Noma 
Noma? Sorry, I don’t get this one. If there is another person who struggles with the same issues, I feel comforted. By the way, Noma may be an English phonetic spelling of the Greek
word pneuma, which is commonly translated to “spirit” or “breath”.Pneumatology refers to the study of spiritual beings, particularly the interactions between humans and God.
I am sure you know that, right? Anyway, good name, whoever he/she is.
B]All your threads have repeated the same arguments:
Church Authority, keys to the Kingdom, popes, the Assumption of Mary, the practice of birth control, and the position of the Anglican Church being centered in early Christian practice, rather then the RC church. etc. etc. etc.
I do repeat some arguments and questions, because I haven’t yet found the answers and am westling honestly with the issues. If that is unacceptable here, I shall go elsewhere.
What I understand from this thread, which has been very helpful for my thinking is:
- It is OK for a Roman Catholic to ask questions, but if he doesn’t accept the entire RC teaching on Scripture, tradition and morality, he puts his justification in jeapordy (a really different throught for most Evangelicals).
- Roman Catholics here are mostly here to defend the teachings of the Church. It seems many would rather defend the Vatican at any cost than explore difficult issues. This is unfortunate, I think, because those of us on the outside have real, honest and intellectually defensible issues with current RC teaching.
- The argument of last resort of many posters when confronted with evidence that does not support the modern RC position, is to appeal to Roman authority. Hence this thread. I think RC authority is really the key of understanding the RC church.
A month from now you’ll have the same arguments and you’ll continue to remain set in your views.
I am honestly trying. I have actually changed my views somewhat based on my reading of the ECF regarding the eucharist. I am not inflexible. By contrast, I now understand the a faithful RC believer has absolutely zero flexibility to stray from the Magisterium. It seems that the RC has strayed from the edict of Augustine: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty and in all things, charity”. In the modern RC church, there is little considered “non essentials”.
So who is “set in your views”?
Instead of trying to convince your wife of the importance of on-line discussions, I think it is you who needs to be convinced of the importance of time with your wife. Time with your beloved will flourish more for you then any time you can spend on this forum. The truth hurts! Sorry…
I am sure you are not trying to be offensive with this. I adore my wife and, you are right, I should spend more time with her. Not because she is a RC and will “set me straight”–that is your job–but rather just because she is lovely.