On the Tiber's shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

OddBird

It seems we are several here (@MiserereMei, @TNMan, @HopkinsReb ; are there any others I forgot ?) who are about to take a big breath and dive into the Tiber.

How about a common thread to share the journey, the experiences, the theological issues, and support each other in prayer ? Until now, if I remember correctly, we all had The Talk with our spouses and are considering what comes next.

What do you think ? Would this thread be useful to you ?

This thread would indeed be useful!

(Though I have not yet had the opportunity to speak directly with my wife yet!)

I’ll pray for you, then. It was not the easiest moment for me either - I was half expecting him to tell me he wanted a divorce (he doesn’t).

ETA: oops, I meant to reply to @MiserereMei 😳

Last edited:
I was half expecting him to tell me he wanted a divorce (he doesn’t).
I half-expected it as well.

Turns out she was scared I’d want a divorce to marry a nice Catholic girl.

She also thought the Catholic Church would consider our marriage invalid.

Some of the things she’s been told…

Praying for you all! I’m literally just on the opposite shore - feel free to ask me about my swim 🙂

Start watching out for loads of Catholic stuff popping up in your life. Independently of here. That’s where I started freaking out. I honestly didn’t do a lot of reading about it and intellectual reasoning and research.

My wife said “you’re going to make us go to counseling over this aren’t you?” That wasn’t fun.

Interesting how all three of your spouses show reluctance over this. Do you think they are worried about NFP etc? That is probably the number one worry in the minds of non catholic women in their situation if I was to hazard a guess.

Interesting how all three of your spouses show reluctance over this. Do you think they are worried about NFP etc? That is probably the number one worry in the minds of non catholic women in their situation if I was to hazard a guess.
Quite possibly.

I should make sure to make it clear to her that the rules are binding on me and I will not try to force her to obey Catholic teaching on the subject through, erm, shyness, if you will.

Last edited:
You mean like random people starting to give you rosaries and booklets with prayers for conversion? I guess I can check this step on the list then 😉

I don’t think my wife is aware of the Catholic teaching. It shouldn’t really matter now after what has happened, though.

No, her reluctance is probably due to a bit of her upbringing, the fact that I once thought of becoming a priest or an Augustinian monk, and just a simple dislike of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back