On the verge of leaving the Jehovah’s Witnesses

• Thread starter Thread starter Tom7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your concern is understandable. However, don’t let the behavior of others dissuade you from believing that the Eucharist is truly the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

Also, only going to mass on two occasions is probably not going to answer many of your questions nor give you a fuller understanding of Catholicism.

You might find it more beneficial if you read up on it first. There are several excellent books that’ll give you a proper understanding of the Mass and can help shed light into the proper understanding and meaning of the truths of the Catholic faith.

It is okay. Not everyone, even Catholics who have just been to confession, feel that overwhelming love every time. Not everyone is overwhelmed, possibly because not everyone would react well to being overwhelmed.

As for the Mass being a ritual: it is. It is not a performance. It is a ritual, that Catholics have done for thousands of years. When I go to Mass, I always feel awe at participating in something that the ancient Greeks and Romans also participated in. That all the saints and popes, and countless kings and queens and peasants, have participated in through the centuries. When I sing the Alleluia, I sing with all the Church, living and dead. It is really amazing, if you think about.

And Tom7? I will pray for you, that you find the love and truth you are searching.

Catholicism, keep in mind, has little to do with “feelings.” That Catholics aren’t all lovey-dovey to you during or after Mass is to be expected. Mass is not the place for this; it is about worship of God. Real love is love in action, and hopefully Catholics will serve others in a greater manner after receiving Jesus. What that looks like to each person is different. I hope next time you go to Mass you’ll consider focusing on the God who is and must be the center of attention, as He comes in His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, and be tolerant of people who are in all stages of their spiritual journey, just as you are.

Lots of material here so just a few quick comments.

OP, if I understand correctly, the JWs came from the Adventists (ca. 1870s), who came from the Millerites (ca. 1840s), who came from the Baptists (the second Great Revival). In short, not exactly Catholicism’s next-door neighbors.

Catholics have a huge body of faith and teaching, and it can be overwhelming even for its friendly neighbors. If I may suggest, the Lutherans have a book called “How to respond to the Jehovah’s Witnesses”. It’s only 80 pages and clearly explains the major areas of concern with Bible chapter-and-verse documentation. If you don’t feel like buying it, some larger libraries can borrow it for you. Then, after you’ve had some time to process their interpretation of the JWs, you’ll be more prepared to explore something more complex.

By the way, I wouldn’t write off a church over one experience, unless it was creepy or awful or the like. Now if they ignored you at coffee hour, that’d be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back