On Visiting Rome and St. Peter's Basilica

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kurisu35712
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent 6 days in Rome last year! Was absolutely awesome! Loved the place so much.

Went everywhere. Vatican was nice but was so crowded we felt like cattle in there!

We are going back to Italy in may and this time visiting ‘ASSISI’ 'SAN GIOVANNI ROTONDO (St Padre Pio) & ‘MONTE CASINO’ 7 Days in total!!
 
One of my biggest regrets walking through St. Peter’s was not having a wide angle lens, or any interchangeable lenses for that matter. I got a higher quality digital camera. It’s 30x optical zoom, which came in handy for details when it didn’t end up blurry. I’m not sure how many megapixels. It’s back in my room at the moment. Very good camera, and it can get a lot of detail and wasn’t too expensive. I’ll post details on it later on as well for anyone interested.
I wished I had something longer to get details when we were there back in 2007. St. Peter’s is soooo big that many of the details are out of reach if one doesn’t have a telephoto lens.

I loved the sunbeams coming through the domes.

farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/6922556989_66a10de332_b.jpgSt. Peters light by TimHerbert, on Flickr

farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/6922557301_70cc948d2e_b.jpgSt. Peters light by TimHerbert, on Flickr

farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6922557439_68774464eb_b.jpgSt. Peters light by TimHerbert, on Flickr

Peace

Tim
 
I Forgot to mention earlier, make sure you go through on a Guided tour,
Book your tickets before you leave home, if you don’t book, you will be standing in a very long Que. And waiting forever, because there are enormous crowds,
shoulder to shoulder when we were there,we had a guide, you do see more, ,
 
I am in Rome right now, on Full Day #5 out of 6. This is my 2nd time in Rome. The first time was more of a “touristy” trip, so we got to a lot of the famous places and only a small handful of Churches (three of the four major basilicas [including St. Peter’s] and a couple others). This time, I am basically on my own - kind of a personal pilgrimage. It feels like I have almost literally been in heaven “church-hopping” for the past 3 days. I would be doing even more today if it weren’t raining and I didn’t have a somewhat serious cold - not a good combination for going out and walking. If I was completely healthy I wouldn’t mind being out in the rain too much. Hopefully I am well enough to do a final day of Church-hopping tomorrow (Friday). 🙂

Obviously the major basilicas are literally awe-some and beautiful, but I have only been to one so far this time around (St. John Lateran), yet have been awe-struck every single day and almost every single time I walk into any Church here. I searched online for “Catholic Churches in Rome” and came up with a huge list and marked them on my map. I’m pretty sure I have been to anywhere between 50-100 Churches in three days. I am sure any Catholic could possibly feel this way, but I, especially as a young man who is pretty sure he will be in seminary in a few months, have been so spiritually nourished the past few days and I feel extremely blessed to have been given the opportunity to go to Rome (again). I think someone mentioned almost shedding some tears - I have had more than a few experiences of tearing up while exploring Churches and praying, just from experiencing beauty and therefore being better disposed to noticing the presence of God (since, after all, God is Beauty in addition to Truth and Goodness). Before I head back to the US on Saturday, I hope to get a visit in to St. Peter’s, as well as St. Mary Major (the one major basilica I didn’t get to see last time I went), especially since I am only staying probably less than 5 minutes’ walk from there.

To summarize all that, I know that any particular person could probably get a lot out of a visit to Rome, but especially for Catholics, it is one truly amazing experience, whether you make it to all the major basilicas or just any of the other hundreds of beautiful Churches.

I will say though, keeping in mind the title of this thread, everyone (especially Catholics) absolutely must experience St. Peter’s Basilica. I mean, it is the Pope’s Church, located in Vatican City! I haven’t been there (yet) on this trip, but when I first went a little over a year ago, I was basically freaking out every time I saw the dome of St. Peter’s and was absolutely excited to go inside. The pictures of it posted in this thread are awesome, but it is so much more awesome to see it firsthand!

To summarize even more: Io amo Roma, as the Italians would say - I love Rome! Rome is awesome and every Catholic should go if the right opportunity presents itself. 👍:D:thumbsup:😃
 
We travelled to the mediteranean and Rome a few years ago as a family. We were on a tour and it was amazing. It was not a religious tour though. Next time, if we are blessed enough to go, I would like to go and inquire about the pilgrim visit. We were told by our guide not to enter an area in St. Peters, that had a velvet curtain that was reserved for pilgrims.

We loved the gift shop Domis Artis right in front of Vatican City and got some statues and religious jewlery there. They have a huge selection.

On our tour (it was a cruise) we also got to see the Cathedral in Barcelona, as well as Sagrada Familia. We also visited the Leaning Tower and church in Piza Italy.

Hubby was somewhat put off to have to pay to enter some churches though.🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top