Once you have a rosary, is that "the one" you have forever?

• Thread starter Thread starter juliegh23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Pug:
If you are Catholic long enough, it seems to be impossible NOT to acquire one of those glow in the dark kinds. They get handed out, and then everyone is supposed to pray together, and they don’t want to take it back…I suppose the remedy is to always carry a rosary with you so you can refuse it. People without purses have a hard time always having a rosary on them, however.😉
:rotfl: One of my youth group friends gave me a glow-in-the-dark rosary when we were in high school. I couldn’t say no, so I took it and it later ended up hanging from my car’s rearview. My best friend (whom I met in college, and who is also Catholic) was horrified at the tackiness- she is Vietnamese and her family takes Mary and the rosary very seriously- so she bought me a beautiful rosary made from rose petals and replaced the plastic one herself.

Besides those two, I have a rosary that my parents gave me when I was seven, a rosary that was a gift from our parish music director, my grandpa’s rosary that he carried through WWII (along with his old missal, prayer cards and scapular), and a crystal rosary that my aunt brought back for me from Rome. There’s obviously nothing wrong with having more than one!

You know, I’m thinking- people keep giving me rosaries as gifts. Maybe it’s a hint from Our Lady that I’m supposed to pray it more often…maybe that will be my special devotional focus for Lent.

I have several and have given away some beauties. I always carry a spare. I seem to run into people needing one, so it is hard to keep one for long.

I do hospital ministry, so I make rosaries to give to patients who want them.

But I never part with a few that I have. My first communion rosary, my Aunt gave me…I know it’s a childs rosary but I still love it.
And one a friend gave me which came from Rome. It was blessed by JPII. ❤️

And, yes, I have the good old glow in the dark hanging on my bedpost. Keeps me from losing my rosary in the dark. 😃

I only have one, but I’m not catholic (yet), so I think I’m doing good. I really would like a nice one that I can use throughout my life and to pass on to my children and grandchildren. I love the idea of heirlooms even though I will never get one (my family has no care for family “treasures”) so I have to start it myself.

My best friend (whom I met in college, and who is also Catholic) was horrified at the tackiness
SeekerJen, I’m glad you posted this. I am secretly, inwardly appalled at how tacky some of the glow in the dark rosaries look! Now I see I am not alone in my goofy-ness. It’s just rosaries, though. I have a Sacred Heart of Jesus plastic light switch that I actually like. It’s upstairs, though, so my Catholic friends can’t rein me in.😉

Watch out, if you decide to pray the rosary for lent, you will continue the practice afterwards.:love:

I have lost track of how many I have.
Some are:
An Olive wood one my hubby’s Navy budy picked up in Bethlehem

A Rose scented one I had woven in my bouquet when we had our marriage convalidated

2 from my husbands great grandmother - they were given to us because unfortunately no one else in his family is Catholic.😦

Besides that we have many plasic rosaries all over the house, most come in mail from Catholic organizations seeking donations.
We also have 3 hand made cord rosaries we were given when we joined our new parish (1 for each of us). A man at our parish makes them.

40.png
sarcophagus:
I only have one, but I’m not catholic (yet), so I think I’m doing good. I really would like a nice one that I can use throughout my life and to pass on to my children and grandchildren. I love the idea of heirlooms even though I will never get one (my family has no care for family “treasures”) so I have to start it myself.
There are Catholic book stores that would sell them. If you are creative, there are bead stores and you can make one. It is not as hard as you’d think, but not expected. Over the years you will come across rosaries in different places. My mother made rosaries for the missions my whole life and she made all of us very special ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back