One line prayer for the dead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MMMom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MMMom

Guest
It just so happens that less than 50 yards from my home is a cemetary in which are buried many ancestors and family members. I can read some of the tombstones from my dining room window. It seems to me a waste if I don’t use those opportunities to say some little prayer when I pass by, and/or maybe something for my own growth. Does anyone have some ideas for a little one or two line prayer, that I could memorize and would take only 5-10 seconds to say? It could be a Bible verse, a prayer, a saint quote, etc. I’m looking for something hopeful, not too bleak. Maybe about heaven, the New Jerusalem, the gift of life, prayer for souls, etc. Maybe I could write it on a little card on my windowsill as a witness. So far the main prayer that pops into my mind when I stop by the window is the Tiny Tim prayer, “God bless us, every one.” which I suppose is not really so bad, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
 
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

May they rest in peace. Amen.

May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen
 
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for them; they have recourse to thee. (Good, general prayer: can be used any time. Substitute ‘him/her’ for ‘them’)

Merciful Savior, send Your angels to conduct them to a place of refreshment, light and peace.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in Thee. (The Lord knows your intention)

Idea: make a list of these short prayers and post it near your window.

God bless you for praying for the poor souls!
 
I have always been compelled to pray for the dead. I can’t pass a cemetary without praying for them—everyone there.

I always pray the same prayer—The Fatima Prayer.

“O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us all from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top