One reason - why do you believe in the Christian God

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mijoy2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mijoy2

Guest
I’m going to give this a try.

The reason for “one reason” is not to limit anyone’s answer but there has been many many threads on why God exists that get bogged down very quickly with deep scientific and theological discussion. I thought if we attemtped to limit it to a sentence (or so) that was your personal most compelling reason why you believe in the Christian God (meaning of course the God of the bible from the Christian perspective) what is in the heart of many may quickly and more easily emerge.

I’d prefer this thread stay away from the discussion of why you believe God exists. i.e. uncaused cause, intelligent design, etc… I’d prefer to gather reasons on why Christians believe in God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

possible examples : early christian martyrs; dead sea scrolls; fulfilled prophecy; private revelation (but be careful not to elaboorate 😉 ); historic evidence of Jesus. I hope my meaning is somewhat clear.
 
Faith.

To clarify, it has been established through methods of symbolic logic by Godel that faith is required to accept mathematics.

Faith is required to accept God.

I contend that the same faith that is required to accept God is required to accept mathematics.

So anyone that believes that 1+1=2 already has a faith-based system that, held consistently, would include God.

God in this system is an intelligent arbiter of absolute truth and absolute goodness (a complete being). It can be established from this and a few other simple assertions that this God is personal and loving, wanting to reveal Himself to the world in order to bridge incompleteness and completeness, to unite the world to Himself.

This does not get into the essence of this being, but only the act. And it does not establish a specifically Christian being, per se.
 
The main reason for believing in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit may be rather subjective, coming from personal experience. But, as it is for me and most probably is for most believers here, it is not the ONLY reason–something I think needs to be clarified for everyone who responds to your question, Mijoy. Yes?

I cannot think of a time when I didn’t believe in God as taught by orthodox Christianity. I was brought up Anglican and never thought to question what I was taught until I was much older (not that I doubt it now).

So, my primary answer has to be because I was brought up as an orthodox Christian.
 
I’m going to give this a try.

The reason for “one reason” is not to limit anyone’s answer but there has been many many threads on why God exists that get bogged down very quickly with deep scientific and theological discussion. I thought if we attemtped to limit it to a sentence (or so) that was your personal most compelling reason why you believe in the Christian God (meaning of course the God of the bible from the Christian perspective) what is in the heart of many may quickly and more easily emerge.

I’d prefer this thread stay away from the discussion of why you believe God exists. i.e. uncaused cause, intelligent design, etc… I’d prefer to gather reasons on why Christians believe in God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

possible examples : early christian martyrs; dead sea scrolls; fulfilled prophecy; private revelation (but be careful not to elaboorate 😉 ); historic evidence of Jesus. I hope my meaning is somewhat clear.
Personal experience of metanoia.
 
I would have to say my upbringing. I was raised a Catholic, taught from infancy the stories of the Bible. As I grew older and began to hear challenges to my “faith” I would research them, first in Catholic resources, then in other sources. I still research, mainly the same way. I start with what and why the Catholic Church teaches, then what the opposition teaches and why. In all of the research I’ve done I’ve never found any reason to change any of my faith in the teachings of the Catholic Church. I’ve read books on the ECF’s and their writings. I’ve read the book of Mormon, and parts of the Koran. Once you accept the fact that a “God” does in fact exist, the Bible makes not only a strong, but truly a compelling case for Jesus. Reading the books of the deuterocanon I’d have to go thru theological gymnastics and downright denial to not see Jesus as our Lord. The case is truly compelling.
 
I’m going to give this a try.

The reason for “one reason” is not to limit anyone’s answer but there has been many many threads on why God exists that get bogged down very quickly with deep scientific and theological discussion. I thought if we attemtped to limit it to a sentence (or so) that was your personal most compelling reason why you believe in the Christian God (meaning of course the God of the bible from the Christian perspective) what is in the heart of many may quickly and more easily emerge.

I’d prefer this thread stay away from the discussion of why you believe God exists. i.e. uncaused cause, intelligent design, etc… I’d prefer to gather reasons on why Christians believe in God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

possible examples : early christian martyrs; dead sea scrolls; fulfilled prophecy; private revelation (but be careful not to elaboorate 😉 ); historic evidence of Jesus. I hope my meaning is somewhat clear.
Atheism is tenable and plausible as a philosophical position. It is not clear why this is so. However atheist arguments are nowhere near as strong as most atheists, even intelligent ones, generally think they are.

So I cannot give a knockdown, one line argument that will convince the atheist that his postion is absolutely wrong. However if you want a quote “When scholarship brings its razor to bear, Cathoicism alone of all religions survives with its major doctrines intact”.
That is the essential basis for any fruitful discussion with atheists.
 
To Della,

Yes, I sould have clarified I am not looking or expecting an “only” reason. I would people of faith have many reasons.

The idea of the thread is to state either a reason (if one has many) as well as possibly one’s favoritve or most compelling reason (of which would be very nice to gather some thoughts).

Thank you all who replied so far. A reminder, I’d prefer to hear about reasons you believe in the God that Christians believe in (The Holy Trinity)as opposed to God, from a more generic sense.

So if I read your response correctly Della, I believe you are saying you believe because you were taught to believe, then went on to firm up your belief with many other reasons…correct?
 
I would have to say my upbringing. I was raised a Catholic, taught from infancy the stories of the Bible. As I grew older and began to hear challenges to my “faith” I would research them, first in Catholic resources, then in other sources. I still research, mainly the same way. I start with what and why the Catholic Church teaches, then what the opposition teaches and why. In all of the research I’ve done I’ve never found any reason to change any of my faith in the teachings of the Catholic Church. I’ve read books on the ECF’s and their writings. I’ve read the book of Mormon, and parts of the Koran. Once you accept the fact that a “God” does in fact exist, the Bible makes not only a strong, but truly a compelling case for Jesus. Reading the books of the deuterocanon I’d have to go thru theological gymnastics and downright denial to not see Jesus as our Lord. The case is truly compelling.
Very well stated.
 
He is a beautiful, loving, eternal, and happy God.

He shares His being of beauty, love and happiness with me.

I am grateful to Him for that.

I am a sinner who is graced by Him.
 
I’m going to give this a try.

The reason for “one reason” is not to limit anyone’s answer but there has been many many threads on why God exists that get bogged down very quickly with deep scientific and theological discussion. I thought if we attemtped to limit it to a sentence (or so) that was your personal most compelling reason why you believe in the Christian God (meaning of course the God of the bible from the Christian perspective) what is in the heart of many may quickly and more easily emerge.

I’d prefer this thread stay away from the discussion of why you believe God exists. i.e. uncaused cause, intelligent design, etc… I’d prefer to gather reasons on why Christians believe in God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

possible examples : early christian martyrs; dead sea scrolls; fulfilled prophecy; private revelation (but be careful not to elaboorate 😉 ); historic evidence of Jesus. I hope my meaning is somewhat clear.
He is the only God that recognizes and resolves the main problem with humanity both individually and as a whole - sin. No other god offers true freedom from what enslaves us.
 
History.

We know the approximate dates that actual people experienced God in His three persons. Moses with the burning bush, Jesus and the Apostles, The Holy Spirit and Pentecost. The writing of the ECF along with the early martyrs provide so much historical evidence for Christianity, that it can’t be just another “god” myth.
 
Because a year or two ago I decided I was done with it all, that it was too much work to be a Christian, so I decided to see if athiesm was even a possibility for me. I even prayed “God, if you’re real, let me see what it’s like without you, pull out of my life please” (sort of a paradox but whatever 😛 ). And for a week I lived like an athiest and it was the worst most miserable existance I had ever felt. I was alone all the time and I felt that and I realized that all my life I had felt God’s presence but had taken it for granted.

That’s why I believe. 😃
 
Hmm, I read the definition and I think I understand. Interesting indeed.
I think sometimes we often tend to emphasize all the intellectual reasons for belief, forgetting about the most important of all, the very metanoia which, by the grace of God and without our deserving it, changes us from what we once were, to what God wants us to be. 👍

“they should repent (Gk metanoeo)* and turn to God and perform deeds worthy (ie meritorious works; Gk axios ergon ) of repentance (Gk metanoia).*” (Acts 20:26)
 
An actual relationship with Jesus through prayer and obedience. I think that most Christians would agree that this has priority over a mere intellectual assent to the Christian God. And once you’ve had this relationship, it’s difficult to turn back. I wish that there was some way to convince a non-believer to take the risk to love and have a relationship with Jesus without having to resort to the traditional proofs for the existence of the Christian God. I haven’t figured out a way to do it though.
 
Hi,

I believe in the Trinity because I believe in Christ, the one who reveals the Trinity. Philosophically speaking, I could arrive at a belief in the one God, but I don’t think anyone can arive at a belief in the Trinity without Christ.

Christ reveals the Father, and no one knows the Father except through him. No one can receive the Holy Spirit except through him.

On a more personal note, I think I believe in the Trinity because I trust Jesus and I believe in the witness of the apostles, and the miracles that they performed. But mostly because I trust Jesus, and I believe in his “realness”. There is nothing fake or dishonest about anything he says.

God bless,
Ut.
 
Because God as explored and considered by Christianity speaks to the root desires and problems of humanity, (in my opinion) bar none. It is a faith that went beyond borders and ethnicities at a time when that was practically all men knew, was not shy about illustrating the flaws of its heroes, made sense despite seeming nonsensical, and has thrived and proven itself in spite of all of the above and more.

That was what has emboldened me to the faith in the past, and continues to do so.
 
Why do I believe in God?
(I don’t specify “Christian God” because God is GOD… same for the Jews, Muslims, etc…)

Because life would be hopeless, meaningless, accidental, and worthless without Him. I would have no reason to live.
 
I believe because of the Crucified Christ (“if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto Me”). In the times when I’ve doubted, that’s what’s always kept me Christian. It’s difficult to explain.
 
Because He believed enough in me to create me, love me, suffer and die for me. Isn’t the least that I can do then to believe in Him, love Him, suffer and die for Him?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top