One-Volume OT Commentary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gaudium86
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gaudium86

Guest
Hello all,

I am seeking a one-volume OT commentary and would appreciate your advice. I’ve read some earlier posts about OT commentaries, but I thought a new post wouldn’t hurt in light of the following criteria.

I’m looking for a commentary that’s:
  1. One-volume and Catholic. I’m looking forward to Navarre or Ignatius releasing a one-volume OT with commentary, but until then. . .
  2. Not Haydock or Collegeville. I find the former a little dated and have heard that the latter is of dubious orthodoxy.
  3. Is Christological. (That said, I know many people prefer Jewish OT commentaries, so please feel free to recommend one if you think it’s outstanding.)
Many thanks.
 
I don’t know that I’d exactly recommend it, but since it does exist, I feel obligated to tell you about it.

the one-volume commentary is of the OT and much more. It is The New Jerome Biblical Commentary. It is Catholic.

It’s not a homiletic-type commentary. I’d call it a technical commentary. It’s big volume, and has small print.

I probably know what you’re looking for: A commentary that is thoroughly and unambiguously Catholic, with all the answers to every problem in scripture. It should be consistent with Dei Verbum (the document on Sacred Revelation issued by the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, back in the 1960’s), consistent with the Catechism of the Catholic Church (early 1990’s), and with the newly issued Verbum Domini (Apostolic exhortation by Pope Benedict XVI on the use of sacred scripture in the daily life of the Church, Sept 30, 2010).

And, you’re probably looking for something that is NOT oriented for an academic person, but for a general person.

Well.

I don’t think such a commentary exists,but I could easily be wrong.

Some of the people in this forum have on-line resources for this type of study. One person using the screen name of Fidelis has a website you might want to check out. There’s other resources there.

But,of course, I will keep track of this thread, to educate myself.
 
It is hard to find a one volume OT commentary that does not include the NT. The only one I know is the one you all ready mentioned (Collegeville).
 
It is hard to find a one volume OT commentary that does not include the NT. The only one I know is the one you all ready mentioned (Collegeville).
I don’t mind if it includes the NT; I’m just looking to avoid something like Navarre where the OT books are broken up into multiple volumes. If you know of commentary that is strong on the OT and includes the NT as well, please let me know!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top