Oneness in marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter constantconvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

constantconvert

Guest
Marriage is a sacrament which is supposed to illustrate the self giving and oneness we will experience in heaven, Jesus the bridegroom, and the Church His bride. So outside of the sexual relationship in marriage what do you think that self-giving and oneness looks like? How do you practice it? On the flip side, what are counterfeits or things that look like self giving, or oneness but really aren’t?
 
Romance (oneness) takes many forms. An obvious form is relieving a spouse of household chores such as doing the dishes. In order to be real, it must be a voluntary gift and not done as a matter of guilt or trying to placate the spouse.

One example of oneness I can give from the earliest days of my own marriage is the two of washing windows together. He was outside and I was inside.
Communication is important in every marriage. This communication, in its most intimate form does not even require words. This is the opposite of the silent treatment.
 
Listening. I really think listening for us is the biggest way to achieve ‘oneness’. Not interrupting, not passing our opinions, asking questions if appropriate. My husband and I have had our closest bonding laying in bed at night talking. The power of listening is amazing!
 
Listening. I really think listening for us is the biggest way to achieve ‘oneness’. Not interrupting, not passing our opinions, asking questions if appropriate. My husband and I have had our closest bonding laying in bed at night talking. The power of listening is amazing!
What does your husband talk about? Mine mostly conveys information about subjects like politics an science, while I’m much more interested in interpersonal communication. I suspect this describes many couples. How do you listen to long monologues about subjects you have no interest in? I’m sure men don’t always like to hear their wives jabber on abou relationships. It’s like listening to my son go on about Bakugan, lol. Or maybe one spouse isn’t very good at conversation. How do we navigate these issues?
 
What does your husband talk about? Mine mostly conveys information about subjects like politics an science, while I’m much more interested in interpersonal communication. I suspect this describes many couples. How do you listen to long monologues about subjects you have no interest in? I’m sure men don’t always like to hear their wives jabber on abou relationships. It’s like listening to my son go on about Bakugan, lol. Or maybe one spouse isn’t very good at conversation. How do we navigate these issues?
We play the game “tell me something you’ve never told me before” or “something that happened today”. Sometimes it takes a life of it’s own, and his memories will remind me of something, or something boring and mundane that happened that day can become funny… I don’t know I just like listening to him talk about something that’s not about other people, or work, or the baby…especially when he’s passionate about something and I can see it in his eyes… I like that.

I am definately better at talking than he is, but the more we’ve done it the better he’s become. I think it helped that while we dated we spoke on the phone everyday for an hour plus for 4years as we only saw each other once a week.

Have you ever tried this game? I have heard many couples say they already know everything about their spouse… I find this so hard to believe… I missed 22 years of my husbands lifeand he missed 21 years of mine… that’s 43years of memories to share! 😃
 
What does your husband talk about? Mine mostly conveys information about subjects like politics an science, while I’m much more interested in interpersonal communication. I suspect this describes many couples. How do you listen to long monologues about subjects you have no interest in? I’m sure men don’t always like to hear their wives jabber on abou relationships. It’s like listening to my son go on about Bakugan, lol. Or maybe one spouse isn’t very good at conversation. How do we navigate these issues?
That’s a pretty good question but if your man talked about the things you have interest in…like relationships…or fashion…or womanly things…you know what? You would quickly lose interest in him! On a base level, you’re attracted to his masculinity, and that defines his interests, so my advice is to appreciate his interests and act interested too! Ask questions, let him talk. Debate if you want - he’ll like that. That’s what I do with my wife. I don’t think we’ll ever have the same interests, but I’m attracted to her femininity, which defines her interests and desired topics of conversation, and vice versa. At the extreme feminine/masculine topics of conversation, it’s best to talk to the same sex… IE I’ll never want to talk about curtains and my wife probably would have little interest talking about batting averages, that you have to accept.
 
It’s giving them what they want and need, not what **you **think they should want or need.
 
It’s giving them what they want and need, not what **you **think they should want or need.
It’s also spending time together. Earlier I mentioned helping with household chores, or doing those tasks together. It could also be games. My parents played Scrabble every night. And of course, don’t forget praying together. Anything that brings you closer to each other and enhances the time you spend with each other.
 
I was thinking too, when I ask my husband "WHat can I do for you today, he usually says “Nothing” I think he should have to say something, because it will bring us closer together (We’re basically like roommates right now) so maybe I’ll tell him he can’t get out of it so easily.
 
I was thinking too, when I ask my husband "WHat can I do for you today, he usually says “Nothing” I think he should have to say something, because it will bring us closer together (We’re basically like roommates right now) so maybe I’ll tell him he can’t get out of it so easily.
That’s a good idea!! I should ask my husband that!!

Something that I thought of is telling each other everyday something that you’re thankful for that they did for you that day! I think I’ll start doing that, can’t do any harm! 🙂
 
That’s a good idea!! I should ask my husband that!!

Something that I thought of is telling each other everyday something that you’re thankful for that they did for you that day! I think I’ll start doing that, can’t do any harm! 🙂
I’m going to do that too. Of course most days my husband doesn’t do anything for me, but I can thank him for going to work or something. Going to the gym to keep himself healthy. I’ll find something! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top