Moses comes down from the mountain with three tablets, balancing two on one arm and one on the other. "Hear, oh Israel, I have here fifteen (one tablet falls and breaks), no ten - Ten Commandments"!
The rest of the movie wasn’t exactly that funny, although “The Inquisition” song was pretty funny.
Actually
the whole scene goes like:
God: Moses, this is the Lord thy God, commanding you to obey my law. Do you hear me?
Moses: Yes! I hear you, I hear you. A deaf man could hear you.
God: What?
Moses: Nothing, forget it - Oh Lord! Why have you chosen me? What would you have me do for you?
God: I shall give you my laws, and you shall take them unto the people.
Moses: Yes, Lord! (lightning strikes the mountain) Wow.
(later)
Moses: Lord, I shall give these laws unto thy people.
Hear me! Oh, Hear me! All pay heed! The Lord, the Lord Jehovah, has given unto you these fifteen (drops stone tablet)…Oy. Ten! Ten commandments for all to obey!
Thanks to Mel’s film, we finally know the truth that Leonardo was actually the group painter for Jesus et. al…
BTW, a Jewish legend does have it that Moses only smashed the first set of Tablets because he dropped it to the ground. Apparently, the Tablets were very heavy: Moses was able to carry it only because of divine help, and because the letters graven through the tablets supported themselves. When Moses’ eyes caught the sons of Israel worshipping the golden calf, God withdrew His support, the letters all flew back to heaven, thus Moses was left, too feeble to carry the heavy burden. Some versions of the legend even have Moses and God/the letters playing tug-of-war with each other, Moses struggling to keep the tablets from falling. So, Mel Brooks was probably not too far off (considering that he is a Jew)…
