Op-Ed: A new edition of the Bible, with 20,000 revisions, should spark 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ralfyman thank you for sharing this informative link.

May I add another link for those like me who lack a subscription to The Los Angeles Times so are unable to read it due to the subscription ad.

https://news.yahoo.com/op-ed-edition-bible-20-110050989.html

A short but relevant quote from the article

This month’s NRSV update is especially well suited to opening a broader public conversation because it is not revised with a single-minded agenda by one denomination or faith, but with multiple nuanced goals by a joint working group including Jewish, Protestant, Orthodox and Catholic scholars.

Thanks for sharing that!

Am I correct in assuming that the RSV is used in Canada and elsewhere, and NABRE in the U.S. and the Philippines, and ESV-CE in India, but both the RSV and the ESV are owned by a council of churches or a non-Catholic group?

Meanwhile, the Church needs, following Liturgiam Authenticam accurate translations (meaning, using the latest manuscript discoveries) but also can be used not only for personal use but also for liturgy and catechism.

For now, Catholics can’t do anything but wait for the updated edition of the NRSV to come out, and then come up with a Catholic edition of that. (For NABRE, I hear that translators, which are members of a Catholic Bible association, are working with U.S. bishops which own the rights and the Vatican to come up with a translation that can be used personally, for liturgy, and for catechism.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back