D
DavidJoseph
Guest
Can someone please help me settle a disagreement between myself and a friend? After the introductory rites of the Mass (Sign of the Cross, “The Lord be with you” greeting) but before the Penitential Rite, a priest may give some opening remarks about the day’s Mass or stuff like that. But are there certain things he may NOT say during that time? I ask because a friend of mine went to a Mass at a parish different from the one he normally attends this past Sunday, and there was a visiting priest there. During the time for opening remarks, the priest used that time to introduce himself and tell some anecdote about the last time he was there. Anyway, my friend thinks it was a serious liturgical abuse, but I don’t think so. Heck, I’m not even sure it was an abuse to begin with! Mind you, I think it would’ve been more appropriate had the priest waited until the homily to introduce himself and tell stories, but would this really count as a liturgical abuse per se? Thanks in advance.