Opinion about weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In practice, relatively widespread availability of guns sees guns in the hands of all sorts. And even the ordinarily law abiding appear to be at risk of rash acts when guns are close at hand. Reaching for a gun as a precautionary defensive act can so easily be mis-interpreted by others as a threatening act. And even what might have been an intentional threatening act (an angry voice or a raised hand) is now so easily converted to a raised gun prompting a comparable response. Much can and does go wrong when guns are normalized through their plentiful supply.
Those are very understandable fears that you have, but reality doesn’t care about your fears. The actual data shows that more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens = less crime, and that we are all safer when responsible people carry and know how to use guns.

Last edited:
Those are very understandable fears that you have, but reality doesn’t care about your fears. The actual data shows that more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens = less crime, and that we are all safer when responsible people carry and know how to use guns.
USA is one of the most violent countries on the planet.
Violent gun deaths (excluding armed conflicts, accidents and suicide) in the US are more than all other developed countries put together per capita.

Last edited:
Ok so British perspective on this. If you hold an S1 Firearms Certificate (FAC) or S2 Shotgun Certificate (SGC), you can use the weapon in self defence. There are many provisos and tbh in your scenario you’d have to get the weapon from its locker then get the ammunition from it’s own separate locker, but in principle you can use it in self defence.

As a point the RCC maintains a standing army at the Vatican, not sure they have issues with thinking Firearms are immoral.

USA is one of the most violent countries on the planet.
Violent gun deaths (excluding armed conflicts, accidents and suicide) in the US are more than all other developed countries put together per capita.
Actual data shows otherwise.

Last edited:
manipulation is evil and is used as a weapon by many people to control or influence other people to do something the manipulator wants. A powerful open weapon is itself a warning visible and exposed, it is not sly and decietful and pretending to be something it is not.

Last edited:
Highest murder rate in the western world, says theres a problem. Could be easy access to lethal weapons.

OECD Homicide Rates Chart (I’m aware this is from 2015 but this is what I have to hand, I’ll post updated ones later.)

Last edited:
Show me the data.
You don’t know where to find it? Then why did you presume to make a claim about what it shows? Were you just repeating something you’d heard in the news or on internet forums, or from anti-gun activists who have repeatedly proven to not know what they’re talking about?

Last edited:
The three states with the highest murder rate in the US are,

3 )Mississippi, which also has the dubious honour of having the weakest firearms legislation in the US.

2 )Alabama

1 ) Louisiana.

None of those states are famous for having strong firearms regulation.

Last edited:
Fine, but you have one of the highest murder rates in the US. It may not be causation but there is strong correlation that weak gun legislation results in higher murder rates.

The three states with the highest murder rate in the US are,

Incorrect.
Yes. That’s because we have more guns. The UK has more knives, and as a result, they have more knife crime. People use their weapon of choice to kill, but that doesn’t mean it’s necessary to ban it.

Can’t remember if this has been mentioned but even in the face of all these “violent crime rate” posts, we need to remember all the people guns protect per year. It’s far higher than any uses of guns for violence, estimated from 500k to 3mil by the CDC. Guns are a tool. Some use them poorly, others use them well.

I took murder rates not violent crime rates, but no matter, they are still states which are known for high gun ownership.

That’s because we have more guns. The UK has more knives, and as a result, they have more knife crime. People use their weapon of choice to kill, but that doesn’t mean it’s necessary to ban it.
Apples and Oranges, knife crime in the UK includes, ‘carrying a knife with a fixed or locking blade over 3.25" in length without valid reason.’

Our knife murder rate is 3.26 per million.

The US? 4.96 per million.

If go with firearms, the UK rate is 0.48 per million.

The US is 32 per million.

Our knife murder rate is 3.26 per million.

If go with firearms, the UK rate is 0.48 per million.
This was my point. I wasn’t comparing the US with the UK, just pointing out that people switch weapons when their method of choice is no longer available. If we totally banned all guns in the US, people would change the weapons they use. The problem is not with the tools used, but with the people committing the murders.

Ah, sorry. Thought you were drawing a straight comparison. Mea Culpa.

I do think that the US needs a culture shift with its firearms, there’s too much talk of stopping power, and too many wannabes who have thousands of rounds of ammunition strapped to a plate carrier, and no first aid kit.

Whatever third order makes a rule that you can’t be a member and own guns is clearly infected by poor politics rather than sound theology. This is sadly the case for many orders in the Roman Church in this post modern world.

Of course. I’m not a fan of the tacticool culture that props up in places around the internet, specifically. I think training should be mandatory for owning a weapon, just like classes are necessary for driving a car. Competence with weapons ensures that impulse purchases are impossible, and that people who do have them are more prepared to use them to protect themselves and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back