Opus Dei: a cult?

• Thread starter Thread starter TradCat82
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TradCat82

I have heard some pretty wild claims about Opus Dei from both secular and Catholic critics as to the supposedly cult-like nature of Opus Dei. While I am not personally a member I am certainly sympathetic to the Work. Any thoughts or personal accounts?

I have heard some pretty wild claims about Opus Dei from both secular and Catholic critics as to the supposedly cult-like nature of Opus Dei. While I am not personally a member I am certainly sympathetic to the Work. Any thoughts or personal accounts?

I don’t have personal experience with Opus Dei myself… But, my brother and sister-in-law do. In So California as a matter of fact. The whole cult thing make them stratch their heads. They both attend prayer groups, and faith focus groups I would guess that is what you would call them. They get a lot of spiritual guidance from them. Although, neither one of the are members. I have a great admiration for Opus Dei.

40.png
TradCat82:
I know why the secular crowd is against Opus Dei. Catholics who belong to groups like this tend to be more devout and thus less influenced by the “Secularists”. This will not do according to them because they are suppose replace God.

As for the “Catholic critics”, I will hold off on commenting on them since I do not know who the critics are. However, my suspicions are that they will tend to be towards on end of the spectrum when it comes to Catholicism.

PF

40.png
TradCat82:
I know why the secular crowd is against Opus Dei. Catholics who belong to groups like this tend to be more devout and thus less influenced by the “Secularists”. This will not do according to them because they are suppose replace God.

As for the “Catholic critics”, I will hold off on commenting on them since I do not know who the critics are. However, my suspicions are that they will tend to be towards on end of the spectrum when it comes to Catholicism.

PF

I don’t have first-hand experience with Opus Dei, but there are a number of websites and at least one book by real ex-OD members that are very negative on the organization. I find that suspicious… you don’t see bad things written about the Secular Franciscans or Lay Carmelites. There must be a reason for it.

Although there are people on these boards who are members and are positive on it.

Pete

40.png
Pete2:
I don’t have first-hand experience with Opus Dei, but there are a number of websites and at least one book by real ex-OD members that are very negative on the organization. I find that suspicious… you don’t see bad things written about the Secular Franciscans or Lay Carmelites. There must be a reason for it.

Although there are people on these boards who are members and are positive on it.

Pete
Yep, ex members never have an ax to grind.

My brother is the most honest and faithful, even suspicious person I know. There is no way he would be involved with them if they where this bad thing. He attends their meeting at least a few times a month. My sister in law does at least twice a month. And, some of their dearest friends are members.

The suspicions remind me of some of the false accusation againt the Catholic Church. The false understandings non Catholics have.

40.png
TradCat82:
I’ve had some involvement with Opus Dei (just a little) and I’m not entirely comfortable with it. My children have been involved but I only let that go so far as I’m not entirely comfortable with encouraging them to get involved.

The people in Opus Dei are wonderful, caring people, very sincere. But yes, there are aspects that worry me too.

Have you ever read any of the writings of their founder? He seems somewhat negative about people in general.

40.png
mumto5:
I’ve had some involvement with Opus Dei (just a little) and I’m not entirely comfortable with it. My children have been involved but I only let that go so far as I’m not entirely comfortable with encouraging them to get involved.

The people in Opus Dei are wonderful, caring people, very sincere. But yes, there are aspects that worry me too.

Have you ever read any of the writings of their founder? He seems somewhat negative about people in general.]

Isn’t he (Josemaria Escriva) is saint?

40.png
TradCat82:
Opus Dei is not a cult. Check out this link…it will answer any question you may have:
interbit.com/blogger/OpusDeiFAQ.html#q24

40.png
Starsweeper:
40.png
mumto5:

Have you ever read any of the writings of their founder? He seems somewhat negative about people in general.
]

Isn’t he (Josemaria Escriva) is saint?
Yes he is a Saint…canonized October 6, 2002.

With any organization or institution, or profession, there will be rogue members who operate outside of normal means. I think that those sites who carry people’s bad experiences with Opus Dei may in fact have a few cases that were bad. However, what percentage are these in contrast to those that have good experiences?

Opus Dei may have had a bad apple or two that hurt some people. Those people took their pain to the internet. Some of those complaints are likely people who didn’t realize what it was they were seeking and once they learned, felt it was “controlling”.

With any order - be it first, second, third, or an apostolate, one thing people need is a sense of humility and a desire to make serious changes to their lives. Some people are not willing to challenge themselves and others yet, despise anyone telling them what to do, especially in todays society. Anyone having this kind of issue is certainly going to see things that aren’t necessarily there for the vast majority seeking to lead more holy lives.

40.png
AmyS:
Can you be more specific?
I’ve read ‘The Way’ and the negative approach bothered me.

Also, some of the mortifications carried out by some members I find a bit extreme and to be honest, mentally unhealthy.

The most disturbing, for me, is hearing of 12 year old girls who are encourage to swear virginity for life at Opus Dei camps. I don’t think that’s a commitment a 12 year old can make. Hence, my daughter is not allowed to go to Opus Dei camps as I don’t want her in that position or receiving such messages. If she is caught up and makes such a pledge, would she then feel guilty if she decided she was called to marriage in the end?

As I said, I think Opus Dei people are sincere and lovely people, but I have concerns about the organisation. It bears some hallmarks of a cult but I think of it as an organisation rather than a cult. It woudn’t bother me if my children got involved later in life. Sorry, I don’t have time to elaborate any more.

40.png
mumto5:
The most disturbing, for me, is hearing of 12 year old girls who are encourage to swear virginity for life at Opus Dei camps. I don’t think that’s a commitment a 12 year old can make.
Do you have firsthand knowledge of this, or have you only “heard” about it? Having known the Work intimately since the 1970’s, I can tell you with almost complete certainty that this would never be done with 12 year olds. What surely is done is to encourage them to live chastity (which for them now at age 12 IS virginity). Most members of Opus Dei are married, so for them, virginity for life is neither practical nor possible. The celibate members at one time were allowed to make a commitment at around age 16, but that was raised to at least 18 years old a number of years ago.

It is possible that the beauty of the celibate vocation is spoken about, and in today’s society, that can be pretty shocking. However, it is a gross distortion to say that girls are swearing virginity for life at age 12 at these camps at the behest of Opus Dei members.

Betsy

40.png
baltobetsy:
Do you have firsthand knowledge of this, or have you only “heard” about it? Having known the Work intimately since the 1970’s, I can tell you with almost complete certainty that this would never be done with 12 year olds. What surely is done is to encourage them to live chastity (which for them now at age 12 IS virginity). Most members of Opus Dei are married, so for them, virginity for life is neither practical nor possible. The celibate members at one time were allowed to make a commitment at around age 16, but that was raised to at least 18 years old a number of years ago.

It is possible that the beauty of the celibate vocation is spoken about, and in today’s society, that can be pretty shocking. However, it is a gross distortion to say that girls are swearing virginity for life at age 12 at these camps at the behest of Opus Dei members.

Betsy
Very nice Betsy…Don’t you just love these people who heard this or that…and then can’t back it up!
Opus Dei is a beautiful Spirituality for me as a Cooperator. My best friend is a Super-Numerary…her daughters attended these camps and NEVER has anything like this been said to them …they are all married now and are good practicing Catholics w/ families of their own…

40.png
Annunciata:
Very nice Betsy…Don’t you just love these people who heard this or that…and then can’t back it up!
And don’t you love these people who hear something that doesn’t suit them so write it up as hear-say with no back-up?

I am still very much on the outskirts of Opus Dei, feeling it out if you like. I figure I can see what is happening and decide for myself what is going on without getting overly involved at this point.

Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Yes, this girl could have got the wrong end of the stick. OTOH, she could have encountered someone a bit over-enthusiastic who did encourage them to make such a vow. As such, my daughter will not be attending the camps even though she may have some participation in the girls’ clubs.

40.png
mumto5:
And don’t you love these people who hear something that doesn’t suit them so write it up as hear-say with no back-up?

I am still very much on the outskirts of Opus Dei, feeling it out if you like. I figure I can see what is happening and decide for myself what is going on without getting overly involved at this point.

Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Yes, this girl could have got the wrong end of the stick. OTOH, she could have encountered someone a bit over-enthusiastic who did encourage them to make such a vow. As such, my daughter will not be attending the camps even though she may have some participation in the girls’ clubs.
Hi Mumto5,
Opus Dei is not for everyone…it took me nearly 20 years to decide to get more involved…not because I was sceptical, but because I was, lets say in a “different place” in my spiritual life…

One day my best friend, who is a Super-Numerary, gave me a biography of St. Josemaria, “At God’s Pace”… it opened my heart and I started to attend mornings of recollection and going to confession to Opus Dei priests…It was then that I new I wanted to be a part of this…I asked to become a Cooperator and here I am today. I hope that you will find what it is that God is calling you to… “At His pace”… God bless you. Annunciata:)

40.png
AmyS:
Yep, ex members never have an ax to grind.

My brother is the most honest and faithful, even suspicious person I know. There is no way he would be involved with them if they where this bad thing. He attends their meeting at least a few times a month. My sister in law does at least twice a month. And, some of their dearest friends are members.

The suspicions remind me of some of the false accusation againt the Catholic Church. The false understandings non Catholics have.
Can you explain why there aren’t negative websites or books written by ex- Secular Franciscans, or ex- lay Dominicans or Carmelites? If ax-grinding is typical of ex-members of organizations, then where is it in these cases?

Whether you like it or not, there is a significantly higher level of noise around Opus Dei. There are many people who say that they have been damaged by the organization, claiming a cult-like approach. You don’t hear that from other organizations of the Catholic Church, all of which (also) entail a higher level of commitment and a deeper spirtuality.

It is what it is, no need to get all defensive about it. I don’t doubt you when you say that your family benefits from Opus Dei. But peope should be aware that not everyone is having such a great experience. This is all I’m pointing out.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back