Opus Dei Recruiting

• Thread starter Thread starter forthright
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

forthright

I have a question regarding Opus Dei recruiting as reported on the ODAN website. According to ODAN’s propaganda, Opus Dei members must spend a good deal of time tracking down, pressuring, and reporting on the progress of prospective members - sounded a lot like Mormonism.

In my own experience, I had to ask around to find a member. It turned out I already knew a couple guys who were members, but they just never mentioned it.

Has anyone ever been on the receiving end of this supposed “recruiting blitz” that members are required to do? I am considering joining OD, but if I do, I want it to be a private matter. I don’t want to have to proselytize my friends and family.

It is my personal opinion, but OD is holy and gets too much bad info spread about it because Satan doesn’t like holy things.

I am part of Familia, a lay apostolate of Regnum Christi – another group that has gotten much bad press. I have been catechized well and been encyclicals of the late, great Holy Father. Yep, these folks are trouble for sure:rolleyes:

So there you have my opinion – after reading many writings of St. Jose Maria Escriva, it is hard to think the movement he helped to found is anything but holy.

John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter has written a book about Opus Dei which you might find interesting. You might like to read a conversation with Allen about the book.

penguin.co.uk/nf/Author/AuthorPage/0,0_1000000208,00.html?sym=QUE

The members of Opus Dei I have met are Faithful to the Magisterium Catholics who take seriously the Opus Dei aim to be the leven in the dough; to enter into society and by their example raise society to Christ.

The Masses said by Opus Dei priests are reverent and the personality of the priest is secondary to that of Christ.

In times gone by one could ask any priest a question about the Faith but those times are gone. We must check out the Faithfulness of the priest before we can trust what he says. I have no trouble believing what an Opus Dei priest tells me about the Faith because I know that they are totally Faithful to the Magisterium.

I know people who are members of Opus Dei and their families aren’t. There is no pressure put on people to have their families join.

All I can tell you is that I was interested in learning more about OD so I went to their website and signed up for the email news letter.

That was around a year ago. I’ve received something like three newsletters (mostly concerning the death of JP II and election of Benedict XVI). I’ve never once ben solicited to join, no one has tracked me down or harassed me.

I think you really have to want to join in order to be a part of the organization.

If I found something that brought me closer to Christ and the Church, I’d want to share it w/ others! —KCT

40.png
yinekka:
The members of Opus Dei I have met are Faithful to the Magisterium Catholics who take seriously the Opus Dei aim to be the leven in the dough; to enter into society and by their example raise society to Christ.
To me that sounds like every one of us here. :hmmm:

If that’s what you need to do to be like OD, then bring it on, ceremonials or not we are already fighting the fight and seeing the harvest! 🙂

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
To me that sounds like every one of us here. :hmmm:

If that’s what you need to do to be like OD, then bring it on, ceremonials or not we are already fighting the fight and seeing the harvest! 🙂

Alan
Well…go here and check it out! 😃
Opus Dei Official Site

BTW, I’m not recruiting… Just pointing you in the right direction…😉

40.png
Annunciata:
Well…go here and check it out! 😃
Opus Dei Official Site

BTW, I’m not recruiting… Just pointing you in the right direction…😉
Thank you. From this page it looks like an excellent “prelature.” I always liked things with funny names.

I was going to join, but then I was troubled by the idea that it is supposedly a calling by God, but it takes waiting periods, letters to people, etc. to get in. That’s way too much garbage to be imposed by God, so essentially it is a social club. I might join but if God cannot call me to join and become a true member right now until I follow some path that takes a year to find out if I’m “accepted” into the club of Catholics who act like Catholics, then sorry I’m not impressed.

They talk great, I’m sure their work is great, but they can forget about if I think I’m going to subvert my spiritual plans in writing to them for them to judge whether I’m worthy of joining their ranks. Thanks a lot, guys. Go have your club and your lofty admissions requirements; I’m more impressed with what you do than with whom you admit.

Makes me want to start my own club where people can just jump in and start helping without all the BS (Bureaucratically Suitable) overhead of admissions requirements. I’m either called by God or I’m not, so I guess God’s giving me a pass on doing yet more paperwork for another worldly organization. Oh wait, we have that. It’s called CAF and we even have the various mudgie clubs, where the lions (curmudgeons) lay down with the lambs (intimidated newly scorned posters) and frolic. Heck, we don’t need OD when we have us, hey folks?

They all can take the high road, and I suppose I’ll take the “other” road, and I’ll bet my life that I’ll reach Loch Lomond exactly if and when they do – on God’s time!

Alan

I’ve come in contact with Opus Dei folks and they have been most helpful…didn’t try to ‘recruit’.

Alan:

The whole writing process is part of joining—so that it is indeed on paper that you want in, with your free will. Actually, let me let you in on some info…you have to bust down the door to get in. It’s a way for them to know that your intention is true. This process is not alien to religious orders. It is a test of your rectitude. It’s actually cool in my opinion.

in XT.

The more I read, the more it seems to be yet another layer of bureacracy on God’s work. Again, I’m not questioning their work or their commitment to these causes, only the artificial requirements that prove their admissions requirements cannot be well-aligned with a so-called “calling from God.” From their site:
Commitments

Members of Opus Dei participate in a program of spiritual, doctrinal and apostolic formation adapted to their circumstances and needs. Philosophical and theological instruction follows guidelines set down by the Catholic Church.
OK, so they say they practicing Catholics. That is good.
Commitments include a plan of spiritual life, centered on daily Mass, Holy Communion and frequent use of the sacrament of Penance, as well as reading Sacred Scripture and other spiritual texts, reciting the Rosary, and spending time in personal prayer. Through a life of joyful and generous self-giving to God and neighbour, they embrace the Cross of Christ hidden in the challenges of daily life. The Prelature’s faithful also strive to carry out the duty that all Christians have of spreading the Gospel message effectively to those around them. This apostolic responsibility is an essential part of the Christian vocation, and thus of the vocation to Opus Dei.
These are all good things, but to commit to spiritual plans in advance are not truly acts of faith in themselves, except in their living out. It is entirely possible to see how people with these motives could become so wrapped up in devotions the devotions actually become sinful in and of themselves. The rosary is not a rosary when it is a chain of bondage to fear. Again, not saying it is in their case, just that it can be.
Opus Dei encourages its members to fulfill these commitments with a spirit of complete freedom.
Let’s see how that freedom translates from a call from God into membership.
Incorporation in the Prelature

In order to join Opus Dei a person must freely ask to do so, in the personal conviction of having received this divine vocation; and the request needs to have been accepted by the authorities of the Prelature.
IOW, the “authorities” play God to discern whether you are actually worthy or able or whatever to make such commitments.
The request is made in writing, and admission is granted after a minimum of six months.
God is timeless and does not need waiting period to make decisions about a person’s eternal salvation. Therefore this entry requirement is from man, not from God.
After an additional period of at least one year, the person can be temporarily incorporated into the Prelature through a formal declaration of a contractual nature, which is renewable annually. In accordance with canon law, no one may be juridically incorporated into the Prelature who has not reached 18 years of age. After a minimum of five more years, the incorporation can become definitive.
Absolute gobbledigook. Again, this is a social club which I am not saying is bad, but even doctors of the Church would have sometimes failed this measure so clearly this is another annoyance measure and worldly contract. If a person can get married at age 13 or 14 in the Church, why would God think they need to be 18 to have a vocation in OD?

Annually renewable contract? Sounds like much more than vows regarding souls that are being exchanged here.
Incorporation into Opus Dei means, on the part of the Prelature, the commitment to provide the person with ongoing formation in the Catholic faith and in the spirit of Opus Dei, as well as the necessary pastoral care from the priests of the Prelature. On the part of the person to be incorporated, it means the commitment to remain under the jurisdiction of the Prelate in all that concerns the aim of the Prelature and to respect the norms by which it is governed. The bond with the Prelature ceases at the end of the term of the contract with the Prelature, or earlier, if the person so requests, by agreement with the authorities of the Prelature. Departure from the Prelature brings about the cessation of mutual rights and duties.
What this all means is I don’t have time to absorb yet another entire set of nonsense rhetorical junk into my life so I think I’ll wish you guys well with your club and if you wish to find it in your hearts to invite people who are truly inspiried but literally unable to put up with all the admissions criteria, then you can call me because I’m not going to call you just to be put on hold for months or years at a time.

Harrumph. Thank you veddy much.

Hey dudes, I’m going to like … get off the soapbox for a few minutes. If you want, you can come down off your hill and play with us for a while. 😛

Alan

40.png
AquinasXVI:
Alan:

The whole writing process is part of joining—so that it is indeed on paper that you want in, with your free will. Actually, let me let you in on some info…you have to bust down the door to get in. It’s a way for them to know that your intention is true. This process is not alien to religious orders. It is a test of your rectitude. It’s actually cool in my opinion.

in XT.
Sigh.

I know it isn’t, and I can tell by the hopeful words with which they write. I actually think it sounds cool.

That said, I will knock at the door and I refuse to bust it in. If they need that as proof that I am on their side then they are like any other social gang.

I have had run-ins with “credentials” issues of the best technological designers in the world, and the greatest thinkers in supply line organizations. At some point you realize that I have to decide how much to specialize.

Perhaps it is sour grapes as much as anything, but I am just so not impressed by the waiting, the proving, etc. I’ve been a member of a fraternity and of KOC and that’s all good but there’s a limit to how much time and effort I will spend at getting to each level.

Maybe if want to do cool things and be photographed with the bishop and stuff like they do here, I could take my fourth degree. They I get to wear funny hats and swords in Church. Of course, I already get to play piano and organ and sing into a microphones with my own and others’ children, so I am really pretty lucky already as a Catholic.

Alan

[edit]Oh yeah, a bit of displaced aggression perhaps. I had inroads into University of Chicago med school, and could have commuted from my parents’ house on the Illinois Central (now the Metra line) except I had to write six essays to get in. Instead I got an MS in Electrical Engineering at two other schools and eventually found out the hard way that the paperwork game – especially around the intellectual property thieves of Bell Labs – can be deadly.

40.png
AquinasXVI:
Alan:

in XT.
OK, I’ve come full circle.

If you will help me, then please hook me up. The Lord will certainly intervene if it is not right for me to follow through.

I’ve cleaned out my PM box; please send me info by PM or publicly here, and I will make a spectacle of myself right here, as required, even after all I’ve said.

We’ll see who’s serious about God’s work and who isn’t. 😃

Alan

I don’t know too much about Opus Dei, but having requirements and making applicants go through multiple steps before being accepted doesn’t seem too odd to me. I hear what you are saying Alan that if someone has a calling from God, they shouldn’t have to subjected to all the paperwork, but the same is expected of our priests and religious. Someone doesn’t just say they have a calling to be a priest, and the diocese hands them a parish. They have to go through training, exams, etc to ensure that they really do have a calling and it’s not some whim or they are doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe it’s a bit presumptous for a lay organization to have such requirements, but I don’t find it too strange.

Alan:

Are you joking? You took the whole thing apart and then that last post?! It made me laugh a bit…no offense intended…the 180 degree turn just caught me off guard.

If you’re interested a center should be close by. But let me reitterate that it’s so far from being a club or a silly fraternity that you have to prove yourself. Discernment is a serious thing and they take it seriously…I know this first hand. I’ve been a cooperator for a long time and still discerning membership. The charism and the person should match, otherwise disappointment is very possible.

Start with the recollections and doctrinal classes available, get to know some of the members and the priests…it will all come into place for you.

God bless brother.

in XT.

40.png
Mamamull:
It is my personal opinion, but OD is holy and gets too much bad info spread about it because Satan doesn’t like holy things.

I am part of Familia, a lay apostolate of Regnum Christi – another group that has gotten much bad press. I have been catechized well and been encyclicals of the late, great Holy Father. Yep, these folks are trouble for sure:rolleyes:

So there you have my opinion – after reading many writings of St. Jose Maria Escriva, it is hard to think the movement he helped to found is anything but holy.
How true the holier and order is the more it seems to be attacked.
By their fruits you will know them.
I have seen nothing but growth in both these orders.

40.png
AquinasXVI:
Alan:

Are you joking? You took the whole thing apart and then that last post?! It made me laugh a bit…no offense intended…the 180 degree turn just caught me off guard.
No, I really go through those sorts of gyrations on a regular basis – just don’t normally document them as clearly. I really do think all that stuff is silly and arbitrary in a way, but all things that are ritualistic have a bit of that flavor one can take with whatever heart one desires.

It is true that other organizations have such worldly steps, but sometimes I think that is cool and sometimes I think it actually gets in the way of people knowing what is important. I am interesting in an organization that does good work, and will consider its ceremonials as a separate issue unless they affect me personally. That way I can reconcile up to at least where I am now.

Alan

40.png
AquinasXVI:
If you’re interested a center should be close by.
Don’t count on it. If you don’t live near one of the biggest cities in the nation, you’re in for a trip to reach an OD center. AlanFromWichita probably has a 6 hour drive to St. Louis.

Incidentally, Alan, you may want to hold off a little bit more before deciding how committed you are to OD. An OD friend of mine has said that he has to visit a center once a month as part of his obligations. From where I am, it’s a 4 hour drive to the nearest center.

All - I appreciate your help, it doesn’t sound as though anyone has heard of OD’s going door-to-door like Mormons. As for the process and rigamarole (?) - it’s actually why I’m interested. I want something challenging and I want to be accountable to someone for my spiritual growth. I’m tired of telling myself, “it’s OK that you didn’t get around to saying a rosary (going to daily mass, some other devotion - take your pick) this week because it’s not required and it’s not a sin.” At the end of the week, I want to have someone to whom I have to answer as to why I didn’t do the things I wanted to do (Romans 7:15-25).

Hi Forthright,

This is an old post of mine. It say’s it all about Opus Dei. This post was old. There’s a new school opened up near here- it’s for the boys once they get a bit older. There’s only good news since the last time I posted this- my younger brothers daughter is at the level of an 8 1/2 yo and she’s only 6yo- thanks to the wonderful teachers inspired by Opus Dei. The standards at there schools are very high. My oldest niece nearly got dux of yr 10. She’s 16. Dux is the highest overall grades/ marks in a school year. I don’t know what you can call that.
Everyone still has the faith. My father is the only one left still.

Opus Dei’s influence on my family-
I would like to tell of my experiences with Opus Dei.
My family was all pagan up until the mid 80’s. At this time my older brother began to search for a deeper meaning to life. He wound up getting involved with Opus Dei in about 87. Soon after he got married. In about 89 he converted me. I never knew one thing about God or any religion. In 89 his wife converted from Anglicanism. At her instructions by a parish priest- I went along to learn a bit about the faith I never knew. He is a very holy priest, and I usually spend my Thursdays helping him out(my day off work).
My older brother became a cooperator in Opus Dei, so did I, and so did his wife. They now have six children (the oldest 14). They are the most polite,respectful and in general virtuous kids I have ever seen.
Many strangers even tell them this. I have been seeing a priest of Opus Dei for spiritual direction for 15 yrs. They have been seeing him too. The priest is probably a saint. When he got his calling as a young man, and told St Josemaria, he was told if your going to be a priest you have to be a saint.
I have always had a great love for opus Dei. My family and friends have received such tremendous blessings and graces from our involvement. My older brothers kids often attend mass in their lunch break, go to frequent confession, pray the rosary, do the first saturday devotion etc. But they also have lots of other sport and fun activities. They are extremely well balanced, and very happy with their lives. I am so proud of them.
I have met many other people involved with Opus Dei. And they all make such an effort to make you feel welcome, and to be sure your alright. These people are the best Catholics I have met.
There is more. My mother came back to the Church in 97. She is not involved with Opus Dei, but has been heavily influenced by it through the rest of us. By our prayers and penances and example.
2 mths ago my younger brother came back to the Church and he is now a cooperator ( thats not a member). He has 2 children and they are going to a school run by parents involved with Opus Dei.
The children at these schools usually end up good Catholics, unlike the Catholic schools where 98% leave the faith, when they leave the school.My older bothers kids go to these schools too.
So in my immediate family we have 13/15 as Catholics.
The other 2 are on the way. We are praying etc for them, giving them good literature etc.
In the early 90’s I met a Chaldean Catholic, now RC. He was on his way out of the Church. I spoke at length about the faith, and got him to pray the rosary daily. He has now made over 3000 rosaries for people. Especially in the hospital. How many souls have started praying the rosary because of his efforts, which would never have happenned without opus Dei.
My auntie, uncle and cousin have recently come back to the Church. We are praying hard for their perseverance. Because as with something so beloved by God (as with Opus Dei) the devil works very hard to keep people away. He even tries to turn good Catholics against each other. This should never happen.
My auntie brought another lady I know to Mass a few weeks ago. She has not been to Mass for years. I’m praying she sticks.
My older brother converted an entire family about 2 yrs ago.
I’m sorry this post is so long. But it needs to be said. There has been others, and probably many we don’t know about yet, who have returned/ converted to the Church. And the story is still unfolding. Today I am sending away to have 50 Masses offered for everyone I know, especially those most in need. In the past 2 yrs that makes about 750 Masses. Some might say that’s over the top-crazy. But that’s what people said to St Josemaria Escriva,
'You’re Mad". And he would reply, " Yes. I’m madly in love with God." Read next post for finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back