Orans postion

  • Thread starter Thread starter BonnieBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay pretty close attention, and I have never, in any conservative, liberal, orthodox, dissenting, charismatic or other parish heard an instruction from the the pulpit that we are now to all adopt the orans posture during the Our Father or any other time. My reason for eschewing it is because as soon as I hold my hands out, somebody will grab them, which is pretty painful when my arthritis is bad. I don’t have to worry about the handshake of peace (I have no idea what else to call this gesture) because most people around me use this time for a family love fest and ignore me if I am standing alone.
 
Reply to bonnie b:

Mea culpa if my post offended you in any way. It was not meant to be a personal attack on you or on anyone, merely, it was an attempt to present my opinion on the subject, as you had presented yours.

You said you didn’t understand “the fuss” about the orans position on the part of some. I simply attempted to explain why, in my case, I had difficulties with the posture and indeed with the attitude that SOMETIMES goes along with it–the whole relativist idea of “we’re all worshipping God even if we do so differently.” That is fine when it comes to individual worship, but one of the most important aspects of the Mass is that we worship there as individuals indeed but in UNITY. Unity of posture, unity of prayer, unity with God.

The Mass is not the place (IMO) for people to exercise differing postures or differing responses. The dissonance and discord arising at the Our Father with some holding hands, some orans, some standing stock still, is a clear breakdown in what should be a most unified place. We have just had the consecration of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus; we’ve said the Amen to the priest’s doxology, we are in the midst of the prayer Jesus gave us, and we’re all “doing our own thing” ?

I don’t know how old you are, bonnie, but I was in school in the 70s and I remember very well how both the orans and the hand holding LEAPT into prominence, usually (though not always) right along with liturgical abuses which may have been “well-intentioned” but which were almost without fail due to someone’s idea that he (or she) “knew better” than someone else. Some priest just “knew” that having kids come around the altar was “better” than NOT having them, despite what he had been taught, despite what the church itself taught. Some nun just “knew” that saying “brother and sister” or “men and women” instead of “brethren” or “man” was “better”, even if it was cumbersome, even if it actually contraindicated or destroyed the original meaning of the scriptural passage or prayer. Some congregants just “knew” that the “orans” posture or hand holding at the Lord’s Prayer FELT BETTER to them than the “old way” of standing reverently still during the Our Father.

But our faith does not depend on feelings (though we should be careful not to gratutitously offend, and I hope this does not offend you personally). If a person does something wrong, even unintentionally, even thinking it good, I am NOT doing right by this person if I just “let it go”. That’s how we wound up in this situation in the first place. I can remember dozens, hundreds of parishoners over the years asking Father this or Bishop about the orans posture because they didn’t know why or how people were doing it, and them being told basically to MYOB, spirit of Vatican II, ecumenalism, charismatics, “old form of prayer posture”–so MANY “reasons”, but never anything which outright said, “This has been authorized by the Catholic Church as a proper posture at XXXXX BECAUSE XXXXX since XXXXXX.”

And again, I’m sorry, but after years of disquiet about all sorts of practices which have recently been addressed (Nunc dimittis!) by the GIRM and Redemptoris, I have to think that maybe, just maybe, I was right to question those prior liturgical abuses then, and I’m right to question the “orans” posture now. Not AS a posture, but as a posture WHERE it occurs, and WHY it occurs.

If the Church comes out with a specific authorization (see my sentence above), I will happily accept the “orans”; until then, it is a bone of contention. It’s not that I am trying to “impose MY will” onto you–if you said I was doing so, I’d have just as legitimate an argument that YOU were trying to impose YOUR will on me, and I certainly don’t feel that is the case, is it?
 
If the Orans position is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ I can’t honestly say…I do know that you can look at multiple crucifixes’ and see the different ways that Christ’s hands’ are “postured”…

What I believe to be the most honest representation is when it shows the acknowledgement of Our heavenly Father, Christ, and the Holy Ghost (ring and pinky finger to the palm(the divine and human nature of Christ))…thumb co-joined with the index and middle finger (the Trinity depicted)) …I feel that during the Pater Noster I NEED to acknowledge this…I hold my hands chest high(most times my hands are side by side, touching each other), directly in front of me…I do not infringe on anyone else’s worship when I do this, but feel I that am honoring and worshiping the Trinity…if this is an abuse, I will cease and desist…

BTW…while talking of “abuses”…how many of you realize that it is only the priest who is to make the triune sign prior to the reading of the Gospel??? Although not considered an “ABUSE”, it is ONLY the priest who is supposed to cross himself on the forehead(God be in my mind), mouth(on my lips), and then on the left breast (and in my heart). I have received many an ‘evil eye’ for NOT conforming to this practice…

Peace and Godspeed to all,

Patricia
 
40.png
SHJ-BVM:
BTW…while talking of “abuses”…how many of you realize that it is only the priest who is to make the triune sign prior to the reading of the Gospel??? Although not considered an “ABUSE”, it is ONLY the priest who is supposed to cross himself on the forehead(God be in my mind), mouth(on my lips), and then on the left breast (and in my heart). I have received many an ‘evil eye’ for NOT conforming to this practice…Patricia
According to the GIRM (underlining added):

134 At the ambo, the priest opens the book and, with his hands joined, says: The Lord be with you, with the people responding, And also with you. Then he says: A reading from the Holy Gospel…, making the sign of the cross with his thumb on the book and on his forehead, mouth and breast, which everyone else does as well.

Hope that’s helpful.
 
Thanks for clarifying Servulus. Do you know if it matters exactly at what point after “And also with you” is said one begins to sign themself? It seems some do so immediately and some wait until the priest is finished saying “A reading from…”.

Thanks!
 
40.png
asquared:
I pay pretty close attention, and I have never, in any conservative, liberal, orthodox, dissenting, charismatic or other parish heard an instruction from the the pulpit that we are now to all adopt the orans posture during the Our Father or any other time.
I have read just such an instruction in the missal, and to address the question of “which orans posture?” discussed above, it specified that palms should face upward.

How relevant a Maronite missal is to a discussion of practice in the Roman liturgy is something others can debate. But in response to your point, asquared, go check out a Maronite liturgy sometime.👍
 
40.png
Jamz:
Thanks for clarifying Servulus. Do you know if it matters exactly at what point after “And also with you” is said one begins to sign themself? It seems some do so immediately and some wait until the priest is finished saying “A reading from…”.

Thanks!
Although the instruction doesn’t get that specific, many people make the sign along with the priest. It’s a small but definite expression of our unity in reverencing the Word of God.

Hope that helps.
 
40.png
asquared:
I pay pretty close attention, and I have never, in any conservative, liberal, orthodox, dissenting, charismatic or other parish heard an instruction from the the pulpit that we are now to all adopt the orans posture during the Our Father or any other time.
A few months back, our Bishop (Bishop Griffin, Diocese of Columbus, Ohio) published the following on the Diocesan web site:

“The revised GIRM has as a part of its purpose, to define posture and gestures in accord with the modem community. It must do so in a way that respects the different cultures within the Church. When the Faithful stand, kneel or sit, they are expressing an interior spiritual attitude in a visible way.”

“Each posture has a distinct character reflecting centuries of growth in how people communicate with God and with one another. Each carries its own sense of reverence toward what is taking place in the sanctuary at that particular moment. Every gesture is also a statement of a relationship with the Mass…”

“People speak not merely with words, but with actions. And, as the revised GIRM is unfolded, take to heart its efforts to lead the Faithful in ways to a renewed unity of posture during the Mass.”

Given that many parishes have strayed a bit from the rubrics, that sounded pretty good to me.

Then last week he issued his guidance for implementing the revisions to the G.I.R.M. One of his requirements is that the congregation assume the orans position during the Lord’s Prayer (hand holding is optional).

Go figure. :hmmm:
 
Bob, I’m not surprised. It is probable that this bishop had an inundation of people telling him that they WANTED the orans (or an inundation of clergy telling him that their congregations wanted it). Funny, “innovations” of the last 40 years seemingly are to take precedence. People in Ohio parishes might have NEVER used the “orans” posture UNTIL that 40 years ago (and Ohio has been settled at least 200 years or so before that time, if I recall), but THAT 200 years means nothing, and the fact that the majority of people may never have used, or wanted, the “orans” means nothing as well, apparently.

One can only pray for the people, AND for the bishop (I’m sure he means well, God love him).

But there’s a glimmer of hope. One: Bishops (and obviously “traditions” as well) are not “forever.” Two: If we are going back to “old timey” postures like the “orans”, maybe we’ll also go back to “old timey” things like the Latin Mass. (See Tantum grumble as her diocese–which encompasses her entire STATE–has no induit, at least not yet. I’ve been encouraged to send a request to my bishop. We shall see).

Three: Final option–become an organist (or, a guitarist) so that you’ll be at your organ/ guitar getting ready to play the Lord’s Prayer–no orans for you! 😃
 
This is a great thread! I think a real issue raised by the orans debate is that even among faithful and orthodox worshippers, some liturgical innovation is creeping in. It’s by no means a crisis, and again I see the orans position adopted with good intentions, but the appeal to more and more rules is a sign that the status quo has slipped even further. It is hard for us to think of the rubrics as applying to all of us, as the citations above show very well, and not just the priest. We shouldn’t need more and more specific stage directions to participate in Mass according to our proper station. When we participate in Mass according to our station, as laity, we are still participating in corporate worship, worship which while certainly personal is public rather than private. If you have seen “public displays of affection” abbreviated as PDA’s, you willl follow my comment that the orans position is ultimately a PDF, a “public display of fervor” which is meant well but is still inappropriate for Mass.
 
I think the references to the USCCB’s allowal of the orans show the trend in most actual abuses: instead of correcting innovation, the bishops cave and legitimize it. In this case, it was only a half-cave. The people had been holding hands without ever being told to, and the bishops tried to counteract it with a compromise measure - promote the orans.
 
Or…by the Power of the Holy Spirit, the Bishops interpret rules differently than we do.

D’ya suppose?

Seems like it is their job and responsiblilty.
 
Forum rules tell us not to bring up old threads. If you want to talk about this, please start a new thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top