B
Boxerdog
Guest
explain to me Original Sin, this hasnt been covered in most of my hardcore apologetics book.
Explain as I was to tell a hardcore Baptist. thank you
Explain as I was to tell a hardcore Baptist. thank you
Are you looking for a defense of the doctrine, or for an explanation of what the teaching actually is?explain to me Original Sin, this hasnt been covered in most of my hardcore apologetics book.
Explain as I was to tell a hardcore Baptist. thank you
Having been married to a hardcore Baptist for almost 40 years, whom I love dearly, my wife and I have had a few discussions on this subject, and pretty much agree. If you look at the Creation Story in Genesis, Adam and Eve deliberately disobeyed God’s one admonition not to eat of the “Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil”, about which He said “On the day you eat of it you shall surely die”, (Gen 2: 17). Throughout history many people described that tree as an apple tree, and many other folks believe the “tree” was only a metaphor, not a real tree, used by God to teach us one thing we must not do.explain to me Original Sin, this hasnt been covered in most of my hardcore apologetics book.
Explain as I was to tell a hardcore Baptist. thank you
One point of confusion is whether or not the “original sin” is hereditary (that is, we inherit it). My believe is that the answer is a clear “no.” The “original sin” is the first sin, the sin of Adam, and therefore what we possess is the consequence of that sin, not the sin itself. We are therefore not guilty of his (Adam’s) sin, but rather face the unfortunate consequences - specifically death and a propensity to sin.The deliberate disobediance by Adam & Eve was recorded as the first, or “Original sin”.
Now where that gets confusing to some of our seperated bretheren is better put as “What was the result of their sin?”. That may be a topic for another thread so let me know if I or any others need to go on to answer that question. Let me assure there was and continues to be a lasting effect on all of us as a result of the “Original Sin”.
Peace
First off, thank you for the post! It has probably been one of the best explained (to me). Second: What the east commonly refers to as “guilt” is a reflection of the western emphasis on the lack of grace, at least that is how I see it. That “guilt” is the lack of grace that makes Heaven unattainable for unborn babies. If you can explain how it is that a baby could then enter Heaven, it would be helpful. Anyway, it is hard to say if this lack of grace is the same teaching as the corruption taught in the east. In the east, it is taught that there is a barrier between God and man, but I am not sure this is the same thing. It is hard to discuss the different teachings in the east and west, as it is like translating another language…Alexius,
This absence of grace is, as Innocent III wrote, contracted by those children who are now born.
“Further, the punishment of original sin is the loss of the beatific vision, but the punishment of actual sin is the torture of Hell.” The council of Florence also addressed this.
The important point here is that no human after Adam is guilty of Adam’s sin, but merely suffers the consequences, as you explained. You did not mention a lack of grace indwelling in the soul, but you are from the east so it is possible that your particular way of stating that was contained in your post.
Hope it helps! Feel free to ask any more questions.
You hit ona very key point - it is like translating into a different language. However, when you really do look into it, the teachings do end up turning out to be the same, except for the language barrier, or at worst different but not contradictory. I must admit I am no expert on Eastern theology, but I know a guy who knows quite a bit about the differenes between eastern and western theology. I’ll get him to drop in here and answer your questions.First off, thank you for the post! It has probably been one of the best explained (to me). Second: What the east commonly refers to as “guilt” is a reflection of the western emphasis on the lack of grace, at least that is how I see it. That “guilt” is the lack of grace that makes Heaven unattainable for unborn babies. If you can explain how it is that a baby could then enter Heaven, it would be helpful. Anyway, it is hard to say if this lack of grace is the same teaching as the corruption taught in the east. In the east, it is taught that there is a barrier between God and man, but I am not sure this is the same thing. It is hard to discuss the different teachings in the east and west, as it is like translating another language…
Prayers and petitions,
Alexius![]()
It was St. Augustine who first pointed out against the Manichees that evil is not a substance or something positive, but an absence of what ought to be and isn’t.explain to me Original Sin, this hasnt been covered in most of my hardcore apologetics book.
Explain as I was to tell a hardcore Baptist. thank you