Orthodox have it better...

  • Thread starter Thread starter 031064
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
0

031064

Guest
Feel free to debate and challenge me on these things, they’re just my opinion:

P.s- this post is very scattered so prepare yourselves.

The Orthodox have better (more beautiful): vestments, churches, liturgical instruments, holy images, music, etc than Catholics, even than Eastern Catholics. The orthodox even have the best holy sites- the Sepulchre, the nativity, the acension, the tomb of Mary.

What I’m getting to is this- after having read scott hahn’s "Lamb’s Supper’ I have realised how heavenly the Holy Mass is supposed to be- but in the Catholic church it just isn’t very heavenly- it’s so dry it makes me thirsty- thirsty for a more Orthodox form of worship. All the incense, sybolism, movement, beautiful Holy Images and for me the biggest thing, vestments, just makes me want to go Orthodox. The only single thread holding me back is the pope. I just don’t know though, all of the most beautiful mediteranean monestaries.

Here’s another thing- you never see ‘liberal’ orthodox people misrepresenting their faith but you see lots of liberal catholics.

Clerical garb is ALWAYS worn by orthodox priests and relgious. Catholic priests and religious (especially my priest up north) can where street clothes which don’t distinguish them at all.

All of this stuff added up makes me almost think 'Wow they’ve preserved these traditions so much better than we have, maybe, just maybe, they are the true Church."

I am a papist to say the least but then I look at all of this stuff and think to myself 'Who did this to the Catholic church".

P.S- I also highly dislike the permitted use of a guitar and Gordon lightfoot-style music in the Catholic Church.

Please feel free to rebut these statements, I myself hope they are untrue… but doubt it.
 
I can appreciate the sentiments. I would just say take a longer view. See how things are in the Catholic Church in another hundred years before you make up your mind. 🙂

You could look at all this from another angle. The Catholic Church, not the Orthodox, took the best Satan had to deal out (that is to say, the 20th century) and didn’t collapse. Not only didn’t collapse, but is in the process of coming back - at this point there shouldn’t be any question about that. The Forces of Ugliness and Banality are definitely on the defensive and sometimes even on the run in the Catholic Church, even if it may not be obvious in one’s particular parish.
 
Personally, as an Orthodox (in communion with Rome), the beauty of the Liturgy rests in the very presence of Christ AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE. But that’s just me.

Blessings,
Marduk
 
I completely disagree with everything you wrote. However, if you feel **that **strongly about it why don’t you transfer to an Eastern Rite Catholic Church?
 
I must say…just because the grass looks greener over there, why don’t you ask yourself what YOU are doing to improve the reverence etc. in the Church rather than jump ship?
 
Can someone provide some pictures of a Catholic monestary as beautiful as any Orthodox monestary or Church- I highly doubt it. Also, ya I agree they are wrong on the divorce thing, and the papacy, and contraception… that doesn’t change the fact that their liturgy is WAY more heavenly.
 
Also, ya I agree they are wrong on the divorce thing, and the papacy, and contraception… that doesn’t change the fact that their liturgy is WAY more heavenly.
Your thinking is just so bizarre as to be incomprehensible. It goes like this:

Doctrine and Truth aren’t really important but the way the Church is decorated is.

The first Christians had Mass in homes and caves, with no special ornamentation.

Artwork, fancy vestments, incense, and other things are wonderful-- but they aren’t *essential *and I think you are really not thinking straight if you place priority on those things while treating the truths of the faith so flippantly.
 
1Ke, I understand your concern and, to be honest, I see my craziness too. I couldn’t leave Catholocism- it holds the height of truth. But I disagree with you on one thing. We DO have the resources to build churchs (even cheap ones) more beautifully, to use incense etc. We have the resources and the abilities. I just wish the Church returned to her roots- maybe I’m just a naive 16 yr old. The mass is when heaven ‘touches down on earth’- we should make it feel as such because we can! thank God we don’t have to have mass in houses in North america!

Another thing that gets me about the Catholic priesthood is that (in Canada) up to 70% of priests do not believe in the Real Presence! How is this possible- not even our priests have faith anymore!

Another thing is that our bishops never seem to speak out againt rogue politicians- especially here in Canada were Catholocism is so liberal. I just wish Pope Benedict would come over and give them a piece of his mind.

My stance: Catholocism is doctrinally true in all ways, Orthodoxy is almost fully true and has done a way better job of preserving the supposed ‘external’ traditions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top